Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

I'm having problems confirming that Spitfires RK856 (CA-G) and SM147 (Z) are LF IXes as depicted in the Eduard kit (8283) - I have some evidence but nothing conclusive e.g. piccies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

I received some information on SM147 when I asked about MJ238 and the consensus is that it has an E wing. Thread is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78926-spitfire-ix-mj238/

A picture of Z and other aircrafts of 73 Squadron can be found... on Wikipedia !

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/73_Squadron_RAF_Spitfires_Yugoslavia_1945_IWM_CNA_3527.jpg

Looks like an E wing to me

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I did PM you, but it comes up as 'not read', what I asked about is this

In this this thread,(as no one else commented ) and you did own a Mk. XII

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995521-building-a-better-spitfire-xii/

I was reminded you would a be a good chap to ask about single stage Griffon installations, specifically are the engine bays on the Spitfire XII and SeafireXV/XVII the same length, and are the prop blades the same?

Part of the reason I ask is the different oil tanks mentioned in this thread you contributed to as well.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?132567-Supermarine-Mk-III-Angled-firewall-and-enlarged-internal-fuel-tanks

finally, why does the XII have the small bulge between the rocker covers, but the Seafire XV does not?

thanks

Troy

Hello Troy,

I am not a model maker ( well 1:1) and this is not a prime forum for me. I did not spot your message. Flypast flags up a message in the middle of the screen.

The engine bay dimensions for the XII and the XV/XVII are common. The engine bearer is common.

The propellers are similar but not the same. I used wooden XV/XVII blades . I suspect that some of the XII's used metal blades.

Some XIIs, probably the EN range, with fixed tail wheel, had the oil tank behind the pilot.

The later XIIs in the MB serial range, with retracting tail wheel, I suspect had the oil in the fuel bay ahead of the top tank as the XVII...but I am not 100% sure.

The Griffon 3, as fitted to the XII, had a dual unit single magneto set between the cylinder banks at the front that required a clearance bulge on the top engine cowling.

The Griffon 6, as fitted to the XV/XVII, had a lower profile magneto that did not require the bulge.

Although I had one of the latter, it was pretty rough and I opted for a Griffon 6 from one of my Seafire XVIIs fitted with a serviceable magneto and harness from a 58A from a Shackleton.

PeterA

• Like 5

Thanks for that Giorgio. I hadn't seen the Wikipedia picture. It shows "Z" as having the cannons mounted in the outboard position which convinces me that Z is a IXe.

I'll see you alright when I get my new glasses :winkgrin::thumbsup2:

John

I have a couple of Spitfire related questions.

1. Is it me or is there a paucity of 1/48 Spitfire Mk. F IX© decals - there are several LFs and a few HFs but I can't find any "normal" wing Mk. IXs.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. I've seen a couple of pictures of Spits carrying centrally (fuselage) mounted bombs - what size were the bombs and where might I find details (drawings etc) of their attaching mechanisms ?

TIA

John

Edited by Sky Pilot

The later war period did have most photos, and hence more decals. Obviously there is an attraction to D-Day stripes. However sheets are certainly available for at least some F Mk.IXs, not least those of the Polish Fighting Team.

The bomb on the centreline was usually the 500lb, with RAF body and tail with shortened fins, but could be the US body with RAF tail. It could have been the 250lb. Drawings have been published on this site, quite likely earlier in this thread! It is basically the standard RAF carrier.

I came across this picture in the IWM Collection of a Spitfire Vb in Yugoslav colours

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205225827

Any idea what the 'C' above the serial represents? Initially I thought it meant the Spit was a Vc but obviously not

http://www.ukserials.com

Incidentally I can't see evidence of the original red centre of the RAF roundel being overpainted.

Trevor

I came across this picture in the IWM Collection of a Spitfire Vb in Yugoslav colours

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205225827

Any idea what the 'C' above the serial represents? Initially I thought it meant the Spit was a Vc but obviously not

http://www.ukserials.com

Incidentally I can't see evidence of the original red centre of the RAF roundel being overpainted.

Trevor

no Idea on the c ( other than "confusing!!") ES197 is a Vc by the way though.... as is ES251.

So..... did the small C help ground crew to know it was a C wing mk V - the C wing had a different UC rake so i assume the CoG etc were all a bit different from the Vb etc etc etc

God, I wish Edgar was still here!

Given the entire roundel apart from perhaps the outer yellow ring has been repainted - I suggest that there was a decent amount of paint around to do a "proper" job - the outer blue is wrong proportions for any RAF roundel anyway - so I think it was a repaint in full on this airframe anyway

Jonners

• Like 1

The later war period did have most photos, and hence more decals. Obviously there is an attraction to D-Day stripes. However sheets are certainly available for at least some F Mk.IXs, not least those of the Polish Fighting Team.

The bomb on the centreline was usually the 500lb, with RAF body and tail with shortened fins, but could be the US body with RAF tail. It could have been the 250lb. Drawings have been published on this site, quite likely earlier in this thread! It is basically the standard RAF carrier.

Many thanks Graham

I already knew about the PFT F Mk.IXs. The decals for one of them ( EN315 ZX-6 ) is in the Eduard "early" version kit which also gives decals for three other F Mk.IXs but I thought/hoped there might more alternatives. I also have a decal sheet giving decals for EN315 and three other F Mk.IXs in the same squadron at the same time. Fortunately I rather like the Desert scheme :yahoo:

As fert' bombs, I have, thanks to your advice, found just what I needed. Eduard do a very nice kit for the 500 pounder. The early and late kits each cater for a pair of 250 pounders so I'm OK for that.

Thanks again

John

I have a couple of Spitfire related questions.

1. Is it me or is there a paucity of 1/48 Spitfire Mk. F IX© decals - there are several LFs and a few HFs but I can't find any "normal" wing Mk. IXs.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA

John

Definitely not. In my collection I have markings for probably 200+ (collecting decals like stamps).

a short list:

Eagle Calls EC 114 Spitfire Mk.IX part one

Eagle Calls EC 115 Spitfire Mk.IX part two

Eagle Calls EC116 Spitfire Mk.IX part three

Eagle Strike Production 48059 British Thoroughbreads, Spitfires Mk.V/VIII/IX: Part I

Eagle Strike Production 48060 British Thoroughbreads, Spitfires Mk.V/IX, Part II

Eagle Strike Productions 48061 British Thoroughbreads, Spitfires Mk.IX, Part III

Hussar Productions Spitfire Mk.IX in Color

Kagero Topcolor No. 15 Special Edition Spitfire Mk. IX

Norseman decals 48.0010 Royal Norwegian Air Force: Spitfire Mk. IXc & IXe serving with the RAF 1940-45

Techmod Decals 48024H Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Techmod Decals 48034H Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Techmod Decals 48064A Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Techmod Decals 48075A Supermarine Spitfire F.IX Gabreski’s Spitfires

Techmod Decals 48079 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Techmod Decals 48092 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc

Vingtor Decals 48-108 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc. North Weald Wing/132 Wing RAF

Xtradecals X48-123 Spitfire Mk.IXc

Of course, not all of these are still in print. Ebay or similar outlets may help. I only mentio here the dedicated Mk.IX sheets. And only the mainly RAF Spis.

Currently I'm building a 1/32 scale Hobbyboss Spitfire Vb Trop, my question regards the shape of the prop blades, the kit parts looked correct but there was something strange about them so I compared them to the Hasegawa Vb blades and they are almost identical, not convinced I sent for a Grey Matter Figures prop and spinner which duly arrived and caused me some more confusion. Both the Hobbyboss and Hasegawa blades have the broad root and "hooked" looking tip whereas the GMF blades are pointy. Photos of my subjects, all USAAF Spitfire Vb's are not conclusive.

Any ideas ?

HOBBYBOSS%20SPITFIRE%20VB%20TROP%2030_zp

Left to right, Hobbyboss, Hasegawa, GMF

Cheers

Dennis

So I am at the decalling stage of SLt Blakes Spitfire now. I am doing R6991. I'll ask the question below again just in case anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance..

During the Battle of Britain SLt A Blake served with 'A' Flight 19Sqn RAF flying Spitfires.

According to the Squadrons Operations books down loaded from the National Archives SLt Blake scored using the following aeroplanes.

R6923 03.09.40 Me110 Damaged

R9431 09.09.40 He111 Dest

R6991 15.09.40 1130-1300 Do17 Damaged

R6991 15.09.40 1410-1505 Bf109 Dest, He111 Shared. R6991 Force landed damaged.

P4380 27.09.40 1145-1310 2xBf109 Dest

I would like to model R6991 but do not know the specific aircraft letter. The aircraft was only with 19Sqn for about 5 days until it was damaged. So it would have been in pretty clean condition. If you have the aircraft I'd letter (QV is the squadron code) for R6991 or any of the others listed I would be delighted to know it.....

So I am at the decalling stage of SLt Blakes Spitfire now. I am doing R6991. I'll ask the question below again just in case anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance..

I got the impression your question back in Oct was answered here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988953-fleet-air-arm-in-battle-of-britain-forgotten/page-3. The answer being it may not have had an individual letter given how little time it served with 19Sqn.

Tim

I got the impression your question back in Oct was answered here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988953-fleet-air-arm-in-battle-of-britain-forgotten/page-3. The answer being it may not have had an individual letter given how little time it served with 19Sqn.

Tim

Blake also flew QV*Y P4380 which I think only served a short time with 19Sqn so I'm not sure that the aircraft didn't have an ID letter as they didn't know it was going to be damaged.

Still at least I know I can't be proven wrong if I do put an ID letter on it as long as it's not A,K or I...

I've just started building an Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IXc and have noticed that the kit instructions call for a hole (1mm) to be drilled at the front of the starboard (right) wing root, just above the leading edge. I have looked at several Mk IXc images but can not find evidence of anything occupying that area of the wing root. The kit component affected is identified, in the instructions, as G56. I would be grateful is someone could tell me what, if any, might be the purpose of the hole.

TIA

John