Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

Hi,

Apologies for the poor quality, but I came across this photo recently and wondered if anyone else thinks that it's of L1055.

L1055%20616%20sqn_zpszgxab1iu.jpg

It's a 616 Sqn a/c, but the grey "lettering" behind the codes initially threw me. I then wondered if it was an ex-66 Sqn machine and having a quick look through the allocations, it seems that L1055 was issued to No 66 Sqn first, then onto No 616, which explains the grey-coloured serial number nicely.
Too convenient, or maybe there's more to it?

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi- a Mk VIII question - the Eduard instructions show the little voltage regulator(?) - the black box thats attached to the top rear of the seat bulkhead to NOT be fitted on the VIII - I know it was moved at some point - but is that right for the VIII?

Cheers

Jonners

Hi all, back to the seat question. I'm sure that I saw a picture of an early metal seat on this or part 1, but cannot find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Ignore the post-war harness:-

earlyseat_zps6c04fd13.jpg

• Like 1

Hi- a Mk VIII question - the Eduard instructions show the little voltage regulator(?) - the black box thats attached to the top rear of the seat bulkhead to NOT be fitted on the VIII - I know it was moved at some point - but is that right for the VIII?

Cheers

Jonners

Photos of Mk.VIII

Image40%20OG3591_zpsb8jgv2br.jpg

A58-487_03_zpspfpazpb6.jpg

A58-517_08_zpsa3n7qfop.jpg

A58-631_04_zps52kk3ypz.jpg

• Like 2

A question about the first versions Mk.II.

I have read about gun heating duct outlets under wing of Spitfire Mk.I. Can anyone confirm that this equipment also were in use for all version Mk.IIa?

I found fotos from Spitfire Versions (also from converted Version) wiith this gun heating out let!

Conversion from Mk.IIB to Vb

660f4818e18e28870155a9b56e01420c.jpg

a real Mk.IIB version, with gun heating outlet:

cf58c7b85a1e21419987a3b193a1d04a.jpg

Mk.IIa ( ? ). ... I think Mk.IA

spit2-1.jpg

I am planning to model the factory-built Spitfire Vb AB508 after conversion to its IXc form. The models markings will be those for 611 Squadron in 1942/43 i.e FY-R.

After its conversion it was delivered to 611S on 28 - 11 - 42. To undertake this project I would appreciate some advice on the following :

i) Would the a/c stencils be those for a Mk Vc or a IX - or a mix of the two. I'm not yet sure what, if any, the differences are

ii) Bearing in mind the above delivery date would the a/c livery comply with the following

Quote from "Camouflage & Markings" text to profile of FY-B EN133
"Standard day fighter scheme from mid May 1942. Type C and C.1 roundels, 24 inch square standard fin flash. Sky spinner, 18 inch fuselage band, code and aircraft letters. Introduced on production lines from 21st May 1942. Ocean Grey and Dark Green, most commonly used".

TIA

John

Edited by Sky Pilot

AB508 was a Vc.

The wing walk stencils often remained in the Mk.V style, i.e no "L" shape on the starboard wing.

Dark Earth was replaced by Ocean Grey from August 1941.

As well as your other changes, the yellow leading edges were introduced at the same time.

I am planning to model the factory-built Spitfire Vb AB508 after conversion to its IXc form. The models markings will be those for 611 Squadron in 1942/43 i.e FY-R.

After its conversion it was delivered to 611S on 28 - 11 - 42. To undertake this project I would appreciate some advice on the following :

i) Would the a/c stencils be those for a Mk Vc or a IX - or a mix of the two. I'm not yet sure what, if any, the differences are

ii) Bearing in mind the above delivery date would the a/c livery comply with the following

Quote from "Camouflage & Markings" text to profile of FY-B EN133

"Standard day fighter scheme from mid May 1942. Type C and C.1 roundels, 24 inch square standard fin flash. Sky spinner, 18 inch fuselage band, code and aircraft letters. Introduced on production lines from 21st May 1942. Ocean Grey and Dark Green, most commonly used".

TIA

John

AB508 was a Vc.

The wing walk stencils often remained in the Mk.V style, i.e no "L" shape on the starboard wing.

Dark Earth was replaced by Ocean Grey from August 1941.

As well as your other changes, the yellow leading edges were introduced at the same time.

Just to clarify

AB508 Vc 2536 M45 FF 28-1-42 24MU 31-1-42 R-R 28-4-42 Cv IX M61 611S 28-11-42 AST 5-4-43 mods 316S 12-4-43 Missing presumed shot down by Fw190s nr Rouen 22-8-43 FH275.15 F/Sgt E Janusz killed

from the photo below John, looks to be standard markings and Day Fighter Scheme, though the codes maybe 30 " high, which is large for a Spitfire, though you could just take measurements from the model, just below hood line to wing fillet would be the easiest I think.

The fuselage roundel is 36" for comparison.

you can just use the standard markings in the Eduard kit which is your base kit I believe, the description you have quoted is badly worded, as it missed the 56" B type upper wing roundels.

spitfireixz.jpg

A fragment of a rather well-known photo showing Spitfires Mk. IX of No. 611 Squadron over London. Careful scrutiny reveals that the FY-R in the background has the earliest type of cowling with add-on bulges and is therefore one of the early converted Mk. Vs produced before production jigs for the longer Mk. IX cowling became available.

[Maxwell AFB archive]

if the codes are 30", and i have neither kit or ruler too hand, Xtradecal do a sheet, which looks like they would work.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48023

X48023.jpg

The history of AB508 is not long and not easy to find. The last data file give me following informations:

22 Aug. | Spitfire IXc | AB508 (SZ o D) F/Sgt Janusz | 316. Squadron (polish) | KIA | Shot down by FW190 near Rouen.

first fligth: 28.01.1942, after conversion used by 611. Squadr.

It is not easy find out this Spitfire version is a real industrial conversion from Mk.Vc. The only real problem is the engine layout:

ConversionMkV_.jpg

Were the cockpit interiors in the converted factory-built Vcs retained in the resultant F IXs. If not, any advice on the significant differences would be greatly appreciated.

John

Best way I know to do a scale gloss for something like that is use a good quality satin varnish over the paint and decals, and then when it's had a week or so to cure, hand finish with car wax. You get something that looks glossy without the plasticky 'wet look' that makes it look toy-like.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

Have a question re: props. Have seen 2 photos of Spitfire Mk.Vb AB324, first w/DH prop and then w/wooden Rotol. Did that require an engine change or props were easily interchangeable?

Cheers!

From engine no. 2907, the Merlin III was fitted with a "necked down shaft" enabling certain de Havilland and Rotol V.P. airscrews to be fitted; from engine no. 5607 a "universal necked down shaft" was fitted, enabling more types (like the Hydromatic) to be fitted.

I did put this up on a post of its own but thought I would pop it here swell. I don't have the book Spitfire Saga, Can anyone help with a serial number and colour of the code letters for Rodney's MK IXc in North Africa (RN-N). I think 72 used plain read but have no idea on size, either

Thanks

Sean