This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sean_M

Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

While on the subject of cannon bulges.

Is there a set of decent drawings showing the cannon armed Spitfire I wing?

Reason I ask is that I've got the 48th Airfix Vb and Ia and am planning to do a Va. Douglas Bader may have his faults but he was a very brave man and I think one of his later mounts would be good. I thought I could simply swop the wings back to do the Ib(?) but reading back it seems not.

The first deliveries of the cannon-armed Mk.I were fairly rapidly withdrawn and the wings replaced with (or possibly just modified to) the B standard.  So there were cannon-armed Mk.Is and Mk.Ib - the same aircraft but at different times.  These were then converted to Mk.Vb, and (I gather) this is how we see them in photographs. I would assume that there were Mk.Ibs that hadn't previously been cannon-armed Mk.Is, but can't confirm this offhand nor quote a serial without doing some digging.  So you can simply swap the wings, just be careful about which aircraft you choose.

I don't recall seeing a decent quality drawing of the early cannon fit, but AZ do a 1/72 model Mk.I which allows you to make one of these, so at least a photo must be available.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Reason I ask is that I've got the 48th Airfix Vb and Ia and am planning to do a Va. Douglas Bader may have his faults but he was a very brave man and I think one of his later mounts would be good. I thought I could simply swop the wings back to do the Ib(?) but reading back it seems not.

Hi Nick

There was a thread on the early cannon wing, which had sketches of the earlier bulge, the famous underside shot of a 92 sq  early In, maybe after conversion to VB

Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-19Sqn-QVS-R6923-cannon

Shows the shape.

More from this series here

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/399766-spitfire-mk-ib/

And

I am

Note, you can just use a Mk.I kit for  Va , it may have the round oil cooler and metal ailerons, but thats about it, and the old tool I/II/Va kit had Bader markings.

Been threads on this too

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=britmodeller+bader+spitfire+va&oq=britmodeller+bader+spitfire+va

Several, sorry on a damn tablet so a pain to find the right one.

HTH

On 6/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, Graham Boak said:

Sadly no wide bulges in the Mk. VIII issue I've got, for that's what I'd need for the early one I want to do.

the early mk VIII with the wide bulges is about the only mk7/9/16 wing they haven't done

Does that include their latest offering with the pointed wingtips?  I suspect that (at least some of) these should have the broad fairings.  I have the Weekend RAAF edition: the RAAF example shouldn't but I think that the Broadbent alternative should.

All the mk VIII kits come with frame F, which is the narrow C blister with the short alierons (The HFVIII due in August has two JF3** (JF322 and JF364) serialled airframes - need to check those.

ON a slightly different topic, pondering how easy a conversation to mk VII would be...

Canopy where the rear section goes to the full depth (no requirements for slide rails) and a long narrow intake on the port (I think!) side under the engine. That's about it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Canopy where the rear section goes to the full depth (no requirements for slide rails) and a long narrow intake on the port (I think!) side under the engine. That's about it.

Yeah, the canopy is the only real issue, need to dig in the spares box, there may be a Ventura one lurking (notwithstanding the cockpit difference)

Edited by Dave Fleming

Posted (edited)

I vaguely recall someone (was it Edgar? apologies if not) posting a diagram(s) for the Mk Ib bulges that showed they were a little different to the later Mk Vb bulges.

Someone much more organised than me may have a link to these posts,

Sorry I can't be of more help but I suspect, SleeperService, your are correct with your thoughts around simply swapping wings.

Maybe worth getting a later oil cooler and doing both a Va and Vb?

PR

Edit:

(oops, sorry, just fully read Troys reply so this post is redundant. Was trying to remember your name Troy as a possible source - you are amazing with your organisation!)

Edited by Peter Roberts

On 28/06/2018 at 12:28, SleeperService said:

Just to clarify, the  new tool Airfix Mk.I/II kit and the Vb kit use the SAME fuselage parts.  Wing swaps are not necessary.

Externally the fuselages are essentially the same, and note that even real Mk.Ib 's were converted to Mk.Vb's 

17 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

oops, sorry, just fully read Troys reply so this post is redundant. Was trying to remember your name Troy as a possible source - you are amazing with your organisation!)

Just spend too much time here Peter, but do remember often if certain subjects have been discussed, which does make them easier to find.

Cheers

T

Hello 

I have a question which probably has been asked before, yet so far I haven't found the answer. 

What's the fuselage length of Spitfire Mk. V, but without prop? Can be dimensions with rudder. 

Thank you for any help. 

Have a nice day 

Dominik

I searched for this a few years back but was unable to get a convincing answer.  The reason behind my search was that the new (current) Airfix Spitfire Mk.I is not only slightly longer than the previous highly-regarded Airfix Spitfire Mk.I, but all other kits of single-stage Merlin Spitfires.  There's hard information on the length of the Mk.IX, so I tried finding the difference in engine length but even that ended indecisively - some 8 inches appears to be about right but not definitive.

The Airfix Mk.IX (recent by my standards) is also longer than previous Mk.IX kits, but this was found to match the highly detailed drawings in Paul Fontenay's epic tome.  So there is a history of model companies underestimating Spitfire lengths, possibly caused by confusion over different rudder and spinner sizes, or some earlier error.

So AFAIK the most accurate value of the length of a Mk.I/II/V can be found by measuring a current Airfix Mk.I/II/VA and multiplying by 72.  I agree that this is not really satisfactory.

7 hours ago, DominikS said:

Hello 

I have a question which probably has been asked before, yet so far I haven't found the answer. 

What's the fuselage length of Spitfire Mk. V, but without prop? Can be dimensions with rudder. 

Thank you for any help. 

Have a nice day 

Dominik

A couple of other points.

As Graham notes, the Mk.I and Mk.V are the length.

Also, all Spitfire without the large tail of the 22/24 are the same length between rudder post and firewall, frame 5.

This is 245 inches, or 6623mm full size.

That 129.6 mm in 1/48th

I have prints of the Cooke Spitfire I plane and Spitfire the Canadian Vb, printed to 1/48.

The Canadian ones measures 

129.5 as well as I can measure, ruuder to frame 5, the cowl is 37.5mm, as is the Cooke Mk.I, which is 1mm shorter rudder to frame 5.

The new tool Airfix Vb is 36.4 cowling, but looks to 131mm rudder to frame 5

Apologies for the unscientific approach, and I have to out now.

@gingerbob may have the exact measurements stashed though.

HTH