Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

1 hour ago, Olmec Head said:

My current bodge plan is to use another Airfix Spitfire 22 spinner and blades (plus an extra blade) 

You can't "flip" two of the five blades, if that's what you're thinking.  You're in the UK, you've got enough posts- put a "looking for" post up in the trades section, and see what happens.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

You can't "flip" two of the five blades, if that's what you're thinking.  You're in the UK, you've got enough posts- put a "looking for" post up in the trades section, and see what happens.

Thanks I hadn't really thought it through!  That said I have 2 spare sets of blades I could use (from 2 Spit 22 kits) - could that work please?

Not really.  The blades are of aerofoil section, so flipping them would have the flow going backward over the aerofoil and still pointing the wrong way.  You need to rotate each blade so that the blunter leading edge is facing in the opposite direction to the other,  and the reshape the aerofoil section to get the right camber.  I don't know whether this is workable with the blades provided.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:19 PM, ErikB said:

Early Mk.IX air intake/filter question

Early Mk.IX’s found their way to Tunisia in 1943 with the short air intake. I assume that this intake did contain an air filter? Otherwise the Merlin cylinders would quite fast have worn out…

Can anyone help me with a schematic or photos of the inner workings of that intake. Tamiya’s 1/32 kit only provides the intake shape and a blank space on the lower wing to put it on. As the filter housings on the Mk.V had bypass flaps for the air, my assumption is that this intake had something similar too? 

I’m trying to depict EN520, FL-A of No.81 Sqn, April 1943.

I did a build of an 81 Sqn Spitfire IX a few years back - my Father was an electrician with the Sqn during that period:

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Not really.  The blades are of aerofoil section, so flipping them would have the flow going backward over the aerofoil and still pointing the wrong way.  You need to rotate each blade so that the blunter leading edge is facing in the opposite direction to the other,  and the reshape the aerofoil section to get the right camber.  I don't know whether this is workable with the blades provided.

Thanks Graham, I was beginning to suspect that when I was looking at the blades in the plastic.  Ho Hum.  Should have sold it on eBay.

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You could be right, well spotted. I must admit, I've never picked up on that though I've read this before while researching Gray, a bit slow in the uptake. :unsure:

Steve.

The Operation Record Book shows Gray ferried EN190 out and EN520 in on 14 April. The squadron flew to Malta on 4-6-1943.  The 1-7-1943 date on the aircraft history is probably a census date.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, M20gull said:

The Operation Record Book shows Gray ferried EN190 out and EN520 in on 14 April. The squadron flew to Malta on 4-6-1943.  The 1-7-1943 date on the aircraft history is probably a census date.

This is what I found about EN520 in airhistory.org.uk

EN520 IX 3972 R-R M63 FF 11-2-43 R-RH Cv IX 9MU 13-2-43 47MU 25-2-43 Wanderer 12-3-43 Gibraltar 24-3-43 NWAfrica 81Sq 'FL-A' hit by flak 7-5-43 SqLdr CF Gray safe Malta 1-7-43 154Sq by 8-7-43 Sicily 1-8-43 Engine cut abandoned N of Malta 12-8-43 SqLdr ACG Wenman rescued by Walrus SOC 13-8-43

On 1/11/2023 at 9:19 PM, ErikB said:

Early Mk.IX air intake/filter question

Early Mk.IX’s found their way to Tunisia in 1943 with the short air intake. I assume that this intake did contain an air filter? Otherwise the Merlin cylinders would quite fast have worn out…

No, they didn't carry any kind of filter.  However bear in mind that most of the airfields were along the comparatively green coastal areas rather than the sandy Western Desert.  Even so, wear will still have been significant but it was thought more important to get at least a handful of high performance aircraft into the theatre.

• Thanks 1

Hi all, I'm currently making up a Spitfire XIV in 2nd Tactical colours as seen in the Netherlands 1944.

Just wondering what sort of ground equipment the RAF took with them into Europe? Presumably start carts, but which refuellers or fire trucks were commonplace? Many thanks.

Many, many moons ago, around 1970 I think, I converted the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IX to a XVI using the Airfix Typhoon canopy and a sliver of balsa for the cut down rear fuselage (following an AW Hall conversion).This has got me thinking. Was the Typhoon bubble canopy used in real life to do this? If so, could I make a reasonable fist of it in 1/24th? The gun blisters and upper engine cowling hump is do-able, but I hate forming canopies.

I hate to be told that Malcolm's (or whoever) made a special-to-type hood for the Spitfire, but how was it done in reality?    

3 hours ago, Ossington 2 said:

Many, many moons ago, around 1970 I think, I converted the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IX to a XVI using the Airfix Typhoon canopy and a sliver of balsa for the cut down rear fuselage (following an AW Hall conversion).This has got me thinking. Was the Typhoon bubble canopy used in real life to do this? If so, could I make a reasonable fist of it in 1/24th? The gun blisters and upper engine cowling hump is do-able, but I hate forming canopies.

I hate to be told that Malcolm's (or whoever) made a special-to-type hood for the Spitfire, but how was it done in reality?    

Ha, those were the days, when you could pull off that kind of stunt  

The Spitfire bubble canopy was made to match the original windscreen, i.e. the front of the bubble sloped in a way that the Typhoon or Tempest did not, so the short answer is no. 

If you want to do a lowback IX or XVI, I would recommend an Eduard. They are the current best Spits

HTH  Finn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this image recently. (Pen and Sword's Images of War series, this one on The Few) I know early Spitfires had the push-out section of perspex on the port side, but having it wire locked is new, to me at least. Is this a feature that must be added to the early marks, pre bulged canopy? This will make adding ejection seat canopy cutters look easy by comparison!

https://ibb.co/FVk23rk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

Can one build a high-back XVIe from the Tamiya 1/32 Mk.VIII or Mk.IX kits?

Cross the Mk.IX fuselage with the e wing from their low back XVIe, unless there’s an e wing conversion out there. Sometimes I see separate Tamiya sprue trees for sale on EBay, that would be an option if they’re available.

HTH

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

All, a few questions about the A02010 1:72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 WZ-T:

I got the standard Airfix A01071B Mk.1a kit, and someone kindly sent me a spare flat canopy, rod aerial, 2-bladed propeller bits, decals, and some other parts that aren't mentioned in the A02010 instructions. A few questions:

1) There is a part 37D here:

spacer.png

Which I haven't got - it it just a teardrop bulge?

2) I've got this part - no idea what it is, the instructions don't show it:

spacer.png

3) I also got this 2-part oil cooler, but it's not mentioned in the instructions, it just says to use the single piece one. Is this right for  Mk.1?

spacer.png

4) Is the reflector gunsight OK for the Mk.1?

5) On to colours: a) Wheel wells - instructions imply a Sky colour? b) Inside of the u/c covers - ditto Sky? c) Tailwheel fairing?

6) Finally, are there any other simple changes I should make to the Mk1a kit to make it into a Mk1? I'm not a rivet counter, just anything quick and easy?

7) The windscreen frame moulding is a bit vague. Are there any good mask sets that give the correct framing profile (this is for the flat-topped canopy version)?

Thanks very much.

Edited by dr_gn

16 hours ago, dr_gn said:

All, a few questions about the A02010 1:72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 WZ-T:

I got the standard Airfix A01071B Mk.1a kit, and someone kindly sent me a spare flat canopy, rod aerial, 2-bladed propeller bits, decals, and some other parts that aren't mentioned in the A02010 instructions. A few questions:

1) There is a part 37D here:

spacer.png

Which I haven't got - it it just a teardrop bulge?

Cartridge starter for MkII.

2) I've got this part - no idea what it is, the instructions don't show it:

spacer.png

Don't know, not sure on this, but it might be rear mirror.

3) I also got this 2-part oil cooler, but it's not mentioned in the instructions, it just says to use the single piece one. Is this right for  Mk.1?

spacer.png

One piece for MkI. Circular for MkV.

4) Is the reflector gunsight OK for the Mk.1?

5) On to colours: a) Wheel wells - instructions imply a Sky colour? b) Inside of the u/c covers - ditto Sky? c) Tailwheel fairing?

Generally, wheel wells are the same colour as under surfaces - even when black, white, silver undersurface.

6) Finally, are there any other simple changes I should make to the Mk1a kit to make it into a Mk1? I'm not a rivet counter, just anything quick and easy?

Pitot tube is a different style - has 2 prongs.

7) The windscreen frame moulding is a bit vague. Are there any good mask sets that give the correct framing profile (this is for the flat-topped canopy version)?

Thanks very much.

Edited by CplPunishment
Minor edit.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:39 PM, Ossington 2 said:

I came across this image recently. (Pen and Sword's Images of War series, this one on The Few) I know early Spitfires had the push-out section of perspex on the port side, but having it wire locked is new, to me at least. Is this a feature that must be added to the early marks, pre bulged canopy? This will make adding ejection seat canopy cutters look easy by comparison!

I can't remember seeing wire-locking on one of those before, and in service it would remove the benefit of the feature, which is to be able to knock out the panel for direct vision in the event of (for example) acute canopy icing or oil blowing everywhere out of the engine.

Especially given the remainder of the photo, one speculative but rather repulsive notion could be that the wire-locking may have been fitted on the pretext that an ATA pilots couldn't be trusted not to deploy the feature by accident, and that once the aircraft reaches its destination it would have the wire-locking removed and the normal little clips put in.  Either that or perhaps the wire-locking was installed for the delivery of a new canopy to prevent things coming detached in transit, and this canopy has just been installed but not yet made ready for flight. That seems quite possible given that this is clearly a posed publicity shot - it may be (and I would hope) that the fitter would replace the wire-locking with the proper little clips before the aircraft is released for flight. 

Normally what you have is little tiny circlips through each hole in each of the six studs - each circlip fits very close around the metal stud and if you imagine bending something up out of a very small fine paper-clip, then that's pretty much what you get. There is enough resistance to stop the panel falling off in normal use, and in fact I recall Edgar saying they changed the design at one point to make the fixing a little more robust, but not so much that you couldn't quickly detach the panel. They are hard enough to see on the full size from any distance and I don't think there's any future trying to reproduce them at our sorts of scales (though I might have a go in say 1/8th for a flying model)

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 06:39, Ossington 2 said:

This might help.

spacer.png