Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

I need to find my Morgan-Shacklady book!

Quick and dirty online search shows AR212 first flew in July 1941. The BoB Vb, AB910 first flew in August '41. The former was Westland built and the latter Castle Bromwich. Does this prove anything? Dunno.....but.......if you were running down mk.I production then the 'obsolete' parts would go to Westland?

Any thoughts?

Trevor

If you are building Mk.Is then the oil cooler for a Merlin III (Spitfire Mk.I) isn't an obsolete part but the right one for the job. The later oil cooler is larger because the Merlin 45 (Spitfire Mk.V) needs more cooling. Current warbirds will (generally) fit whatever is available and working rather than worrying over mere details - there are exceptions. I rather doubt that AR213 has a Merlin III...

More generally, production numbers are planned months in advance and the right numbers of the appropriate part are ordered at the same time. Plus spares, of course. When production plans get changed the usual result is excessive numbers of accessories rather than shortages. Sometimes supply problems does mean that you'll find "hybrids" appearing at the end or beginning of production, but without evidence for that in this case then the safest assumption is the earlier oil cooler.

• Like 2

There was a wartime mod to fit the "Mk.III type" oil cooler (that found on the V) to the I/II, but I would consider that the exception rather than the rule. Certainly at time of production (1941) it would have had the earlier type.

bob

• Like 1

Couple of questions regarding servicing...

1. When the tail of a Spitfire was raised, how was the trestle attached to the airframe

2. Does anyone have any pictures of said trestle (looking at PR.XIX from 1945 - 1950 time period, should this matter)

Thanks in advance

Tony

Couple of questions regarding servicing...

1. When the tail of a Spitfire was raised, how was the trestle attached to the airframe

2. Does anyone have any pictures of said trestle (looking at PR.XIX from 1945 - 1950 time period, should this matter)

Thanks in advance

Tony

1. There looks to be a shaped block under the tail.

2. The photos below seem to show a fairly standard style of trestle. Not quite your time frame, so there's always the possibility of a later design too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_operational_history#/media/File:Spitfire1602a.jpg

http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Spitfire-guns.jpg

http://www.motorracingtradition.co.uk/uploads/1/6/3/8/16387846/5898619_orig.jpg

And some modern shots from the BBMF hangars. The last two are of a PR.XIX:

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/pictures/595x370fitpad[226]/6/3/8/60638_Spitfire-TE311-winter-maintenance.jpg

https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/pictures/595x370fitpad[226]/6/3/6/60636_Spitfire-PM631-in-the-hangar.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6032/6332300440_64bcb5b37a_b.jpg

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi,

a quick question about slipper tanks,

were they used only on ferry flights or in ops too ?

I do have spitfire IX in Italy in mind.

Cheers,

Beppe

They were used on both, by fighters/ fighter-bombers, although it depends on the size of the tank as the larger ones were used for ferry flights only. I don't know about Photo-recon planes.

My understanding is that any external fuel tank ( on any type), would degrade performance and so would be jettisoned before combat, if go no other reason that it was rather flammable in combat.

I assume also that the fuel in the slipper tank would be used first to avoid the problem.

Trevor

Still the same nowadays, except that drop tanks are more protected.

I Thought it was a common practise in the italian front in order to increase the loiter time of the spitfire.

Airfix Mag July 2016 has a build article by Steve Abbey of the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe, and a beautiful piece of work it is. There is one piece that puzzles me: he states that the postwar aircraft had a revised undercarriage ... "which had less of a forward angle than the standard versions". I know that late-war and post war Spitfires had modified axle geometries, (and possibly tyre sizes?) , resulting in the re-appearance of bumps in the upper wing, but a change in the undercarriage legs giving a different rake?

This is ringing bells as being a change to help cope with the wear and tear of the general switch from grass strips to concrete runways. I am however only prompting; someone with more knowledge on the topic will need to confirm!

I believe that the 20-series Spitfires had a different rake: possibly this has been misunderstood somewhere? I don't know of any change to earlier types, but it would have been a very substantial modification to change the skew angle on the leg and in the wing. It surely would be found in the Modification record and would have cropped up in the multiple warbird rebuild since.

Another Malta Spitfire question...

In the December 2015 SAM article, Paul Lucas states (page 50) that there is only one photo known for BR190 (coded A-2 of 603 Squadron) - can someone help with where I might find said photo please?

Alan.

Sword Spitfire FRXIVe question, folks.

I thought about searching this thread but with 744 posts I soon lost the will to live so apologies if this has already been answered.

Anyway, the kit instructions tell you to drill out two under-fuselage holes for vertical cameras (there is no moulded detail for these) a la MkXIX but I always thought, and my references seem to agree, that the mark was only equipped to carry a single oblique camera pointing either port or starboard. Is Sword wrong here or were some FRXIVe versions so equipped.

Sword are wrong. As far as I am aware, the FRXIV only had oblique cameras.

Ah ha. I thought as much. An odd error unless they're planning on releasing an FR18e at some stage. I think some 18s did have the vertical cameras. They'll need provide a new rudder.

Ah ha. I thought as much. An odd error unless they're planning on releasing an FR18e at some stage. I think some 18s did have the vertical cameras. They'll need provide a new rudder.

Don't take my word as gospel though... there are plenty of people who know more than I do. Edited by Beard