Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

There is this example from the Rising Decals sheet, but I do not have a real world photo to back it up:

mto_07.jpg

Credit to Procopius for providing me with the image link.

Modelglue (Job ?)

It is a quote from "Mrs. Doubtfire" with Robin Williams. My name is Jeff. :)

Treat with a little caution, since "WFD" was JF814, and the personal mount of AVM Sir William F Dickson, AOC of the Desert Air Force in 1944, and senior officers tended to play all sorts of games with "their" aircraft.

• Like 3

I have just noticed that the Eduard Mk VIII kit provides for a clipped wing option :

USAAF JF 470 HL*R

Could this be the American job mentioned above ?

Regarding WFD might this help

Dickson_stands_next_to_his_Spitfire.jpg

Dickson standing next to his Spitfire

Knobly knees WHAT !

• Like 2

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo please no more spitfire questions

So you would prefer that those of us who carry out our researches should cease? Somehow I doubt that you would have the same attitude if we manage to find an answer that will help you in your modelling.

• Like 2

No, not all. There are pictures on the 'net of small tailed Mk VIIIs of 417 Squadron with the pointed wing tips. There is one of Bert Houle landing JF457 in that configuration, complete with belly tank.

Misplaced modifier edit.

Edited by RJP

So you would prefer that those of us who carry out our researches should cease? Somehow I doubt that you would have the same attitude if we manage to find an answer that will help you in your modelling.

I doubt it I build mainly what if's

I doubt it I build mainly what if's

Then why not be a nice polite chap, and if this thread is not to your interest or liking - just don't bother reading it, let alone posting facile comments:

Please leave those of us with an interest in such things to our own devices, and we'll leave you to yours.

with respect

Jonners

• Like 4

A neat photo, but confusing -- why the early style rudder? I thought all VIIIs had the later, pointy type.

The "Mk. XII" rudder was introduced, as a modification intended for the VII, VIII, IX & XI, from February 1944, so the early airframes had the round rudder, and it's anyone's guess as to when the new type arrived in the Med or Australia.

Thanks for that info Edgar, very handy to know that. Speaking of Mk. XII, was there ever an operational version with four cannon?

Arachnid, I think you meant that as a joke but it came off a bit rude. :)

The "Mk. XII" rudder was introduced, as a modification intended for the VII, VIII, IX & XI, from February 1944, so the early airframes had the round rudder, and it's anyone's guess as to when the new type arrived in the Med or Australia.

Australian Spitfire Mk.VIII deliveries. October 1943. All Mk.VIIIs received in Australia in October had the 'Mk.XII' pattern rudder. They were LF.VIII with JF serials. Count of 9. 16 more arrived in November, 8 in December. January 1944 was a bumper month with 60.

G

edit to straighten the record.

A58-300. LF.VIII. JF621

A58-302. LF.VIII. JF821

A58-305. LF.VIII. JF823

A58-307. LF.VIII. JF825

A58-309. LF.VIII. JF846

A58-312. LF.VIII. JF870

A58-313. LF.VIII. JF876

A58-315. LF.VIII. JF934

A58-316. LF.VIII. JF935

A58-317. LF.VIII. JF936

Also delivered at the same time were 10 F.VC in the MA & MH prefix range.

Speaking of Mk. XII, was there ever an operational version with four cannon?

No, though DP845 (which served as the prototype Mk.XII) had a mocked-up 6 cannon arrangement for a time. I don't think there was any intention of having 4 in the XII.

bob

• Like 1

Thank you GB, I did see that prototype in my searches but assumed it was somehow related to the Mk. III. I suppose I will have to settle for a five blade prop to create differentiation between the two I want to model.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that there were any Mk.XIIs with the 5-blade propeller. One difference between batches was the fixed tailwheel rather than the retractable, but I can't think of any other distinguishing feature.

• Like 1

I'm building a Mk 8 [A58-606] of 457 sqd RAAF, circa 1945, S.W. Pacific.

What are the main camouflage colours I should use please?

Hi Fred

looks to still be in RAF Day Fighter Scheme, so Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey, unless anyone can advise otherwise?

Spitfire_A58_606_Photo_Air_Graphic_via_A

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that there were any Mk.XIIs with the 5-blade propeller. One difference between batches was the fixed tailwheel rather than the retractable, but I can't think of any other distinguishing feature.

I hope I haven't been led astray by this photo, which seems to show two XII with five blade props. I humbly bow before the knowledge keepers present, however. If this is some artistic manipulation or optical trick then I can accept the facts.

11014279_10152648447417455_7775515491694

optical illusion, sadly, often caused by focal-plane shutters, since the propeller is in multiple positions as the shutter travels across the film. Even the human eye can be fooled, with an engine appearing to run backwards as it slows down. This is MB882 with its engine stopped:-

MB882_zpsu5wpfp1h.jpg

• Like 1

I have a question about the angle of the wheels. In building the new Airfix mki, the wheels seem to be splayed rather a lot which is almost certainly just my mistake modelling but are they supposed to be splayed at all? I have been looking through all the books I have but can't find any pictures that are really square on (apart from a K5054 photo) that would answer this.

DSC_0176.jpg

Glad to see this "son of" thread still going! Personally I love reading this sort of thing even if its of no immediate use to me, its still interesting to see experts discussing this stuff!

• Like 1