Vol 2 All the Spitfire questions here

Sean_M

Edgar, is there anything you don't know, photograph you don't have, drawing you can't materialize, orders you can't catalouge, or in general any question you can't answer? You're the Miracle Man of Brittania, and we luv ya for it, governor!! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Might I ask which a/c is depicted in the photo.

It's a Mk.IX, which was sitting, as part of the RAF Museum's reserve collection, at St. Athan, around 30 years ago; it was MK356.
  • Like 1

You're the Miracle Man of Brittania,

Um, well, yes, thank you for the compliments, but, if you look closely (not recommended,) you'll see the faint residue of egg on my face, from the many times when I got things wrong.

I've been given the posh title of researcher, but I'm just a collector of information, who just happens to like searching. Having been a modeller (of sorts) since 1952, I've always tended to take my photos from a modeller's point of view, which is coming in very handy in these days of the net.

• Like 2

clipped wing Mk v...can i model one of these with the Aboukir filter on the nose...or was that only fitted to non-clipped wing aircraft?

cheers

Clipped wings and desert filters have no relation. An aircraft could have clipped wings with any type of filter, so yes, you can build a clipped wing Mk.V with an Aboukir filter if you wish. One such aircraft is for example visible in this picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Squadron_SAAF#/media/File:Spitfire_VBs_40_Sqn_SAAF_over_Tunisia_1943.jpg

clipped wing Mk v...can i model one of these with the Aboukir filter on the nose...or was that only fitted to non-clipped wing aircraft?

cheers

One of the Hobby Boss offerings is for this configuration and contains two decal options, 'Widge' Gleed's AB502 (IR-G) and EP688 (WR-R, 40 Sqn.)

John.

thanks chaps...my hasegawa 32nd one has a bigger filter on the nose though..probably not an aboukir one.. its on the chin part behind the prop

steve..

sorry these must seem stupid questions...but im a long way from a spitfire expert!

Edited by kspriss

There are two types of tropical filter fitted to Mk.V Spitfires, the official Vokes one and the Aboukir filter, produced at the RAF Maintenance works in Egypt. They did the same job but the Aboukir one gave considerably less drag because of its smaller size. The Vokes filter is really quite ungainly. I'm not familiar with the Hasegawa kit but pictures I've seen of it built have shown it with the Vokes effort.

John.

Spitfire cockpit hatch when open:

Does anyone have a rough estimate as to angle of the hatch when open, or perhaps an average distance from the side of the fuselage to edge of the hatch? Do most people just eyeball it?

Sorry if this is silly. I did look, and found no information.

Thanks in advance

I think you may be worrying unduly; with use, the strain on the hinges is likely to have an adverse effect, and a lot will probably depend on the care (or lack of it) exercised by the pilot and groundcrew.

scan0024_zpsxe2boqqh.jpg

Unwin_zpsi54yvsrk.jpg

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 3

Apparently the desert clipped wings weren't clipped quite so short as the factory production, thus looking just a little more rounded at the leading and trailing edges.

I'm afraid I wont pay what's being asked for the Hobby Boss 1/48 kit but I fancy doing a bit of scratch building - if I can find details of the non-standard wing tips.

Any ideas anyone ?

Here, the V's clipped wingtips were carved (to a designated shape) from solid wood, and had no provision for lights. If the Desert Air Force carved their own, without using Supermarine's drawing, there's no way to figure it out.
clipped%20tip_zpsuya2ivub.jpg

Edited by Edgar

Hello,

I am looking for technical infos about the Mk VI prop blades. Any data somewhere ?

many thanks for your answers.

olivier

AB200%2010749E1_zpsanuvnmwm.jpg

AB200%2010749A1_zpsmsfhtlnb.jpg

( from my personal album AB 200 / Air Ministry neg#10749 serie )

Edited by JOAN

I would like to build some clipped wing versions of the Spitfire and wonder if the Alley Cat sets for converting the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb to a Mk Vc (full/clipped wing) would work with the Eduard Mk VIII and Mk IXc kits.

Also, could any forum members recommend any "available" kits for clipped wing Spits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Edited by Sky Pilot
  • Like 1

I would like to build some clipped wing versions of the Spitfire and wonder if the Alley Cat sets for converting the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb to a Mk Vc (full/clipped wing) would work with the Eduard Mk VIII and Mk IXc kits.

Also, could any forum members recommend any "available" kits for clipped wing Spits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

I don't really understand John?

you want a clipped wing IX? (AFAIK there were no clipped wing VIII's, but others will know for sure)

Have you not checked the box contents? Eduard IXs come with this, well this one does, and so would the IXe boxing.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/eduard8281reviewbg_1.htm

many options including kinked/straight elevators, two styles of gear doors, two different upper engine cowlings, clipped or full-length wing tips, three types of wheel hubs (four spoke, five spoke and covered), bombs and pointed/rounded rudder.

basic wing. add tip.

BTJ_7438_fs.jpg

The ICM kits come with 3 tips types, and if a kit doesn't it a few minutes work with a saw and sandpaper to cut down a normal tip.

if you want to make the non- standard clipped tip, which you asked about earlier, same principle, find a photo, cut down and shape tip to match.

Non standard extended tips were in this kit

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/brodiespitpreview.htm

these bits could be got quite easily if you ask, as these bits are unused if you did another version.

• Like 1

In the lower right of this pic, I believe that is a clipped tip, I just read this review this morning, maybe there is no need to cut and sand.

13_fs.jpg

There is also a part on the clear sprue which could be a clipped tip:

eduard8284reviewbg_7.jpg

Here is the review Sky pilot.

• Like 1

Troy

Many thanks for your time and effort.

I had, in fact, examined the Eduard IXc (late 8281) box contents but discovered that whereas the sprues did provide wingtips (clear and grey plastic) for a clipped wing aircraft, the kit instructions didn't contain any indication of the use of these components - other than that they were not needed for the build options provided by the kit. Also the finishing schemes illustrated at the end of the instructions were only for full winged aircraft. Am I, therefor, to assume that in order to build clipped wing Mk IX versions I need to search for suitable subjects for which the appropriate decals are available - I've found one so far ?

Are there, anywhere, listings of the clipped wing Spitfires (Mk V onwards) that were built ?

Like yourself, I am uncertain about clipped wing Mk VIIIs.

I've yet to get an Eduard Mk IXe.

I'm afraid I've become a bit of an Eduard addict :syringe:

John

• Like 1

Modelglue (Job ?)

Thanks for your response.

Actually I had already read the review, from which I got the impression (wrong) that the kit catered for a clipped wing option.

Never mind Eh !

Thanks again.

John

• Like 1