2015 New Tool 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mki (A05126)

Good idea - maybe I'll drop them an email.

So things have been progressing fairly well. Here it is with the first coat of Revell Dark Earth (in answer to your question Jonners, I'm brush painting):

DSC_0208.jpg

As you can see, the first coat always looks terrible, but after about 5 or 6 coats things look ok.

You can also so on this photo my attempt at scribing the lines in the fuel tank part. About 10 minutes later I got rid of them because I hadn't done them very well. I'm now toying with the idea of just painting them on.

Next was the underside. The white is a little patchy but it's come out better than previous attempts at brush painting white:

DSC_0212.jpg

I know that the question of the colour of the wheel wells and inner gear doors is one that keeps cropping up but I decided to go for silver paint a) because it breaks up the otherwise quite heavy block of dark and B) because I think it fits in with this picture which I believe shows these parts in silver:

DSC_0213.jpg

Next up was masking for which I used the AML masks I had left over from the Mkv I built recently:

DSC_0214.jpg

And then a few coats of Revell Dark Green and the terrifying but exciting moment when you peel the masks off!

DSC_0218.jpg

There are a fair few bits that need a little touch up, and I need to buff out the step between the colours but overall I think it's looking quite good!

DSC_0219.jpg

Thank for following - and all comments and criticisms gratefully received!

Mark

• Like 3

Mark - go check that camo mask against some pics. Something does does not sit right with me with that mask set.

Jon

Now you've got me worried!!!

Here it is against some pics: (The prop, by the way, is from the old Mki kit - I was just trying it for size)
DSC_0227.jpg
DSC_0229.jpg
DSC_0228.jpg
DSC_0226.jpg
There are one or two little areas like maybe the green on the lower port engine cowling could come forward a little but overall it seems to match within the sorts of variations often seen, but maybe I'm missing something from being to close to it. Is there something particular you're seeing that doesn't look right?
  • Like 3

The only things I can see apart from the lower port cowl which you mentioned are:-

The port tailplane where the green seems to sweep in too much, and the starboard wing where the middle patch of dark earth extends a little too far back. I have a couple of Eduard sets of Spitfire masks but so far I've not used them.

That looks like a great reference for the Mk1 you have there, I have a lot of Spitfire books but I havn't seen so many pictures of Mk1s in one place before.

Keep up the good work.

John

The camo looks great, must get some decent masks.

I think maybe I can see what Jonners means, in the pic with the masks on, it looks like the colours are reversed but I think it must just be an illusion caused by the masks themselves.

That looks like a great reference for the Mk1 you have there, I have a lot of Spitfire books but I havn't seen so many pictures of Mk1s in one place before.

It is an excellent little magazine that I picked up in WH Smith. It's called 'Aeroplane Icons: Spitfire - Battle of Britian's Iconic Interceptor' and has some really wonderful clear pictures.

Only a little progress but getting closer now.

Part of the ring and bead sight made from the photoetch control column for a Bristol F2B:

DSC_0233.jpg

And inspired by Jonner's knock-out panel, I attempted to mask and paint one with a little gloss varnish but made a right mess of it so ended up etching it in with the point of a needle:

DSC_0240.jpg

And here it is in place:

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Many touch-ups needed on all the canopy parts but I must say I'm rather enjoying this kit!

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 5

Oh no! What is this terrible calamity to befall my little Spitfire?!

DSC_0245.jpg

It's ok - this was a planned operation. Looking over the photos really showed how my attempts at scribing the panel lines on the fuel tank had really made a bit of a mess of that piece. Luckily I happen to have a spare kit that I'll be using for the Battle of Britain group build. It was therefore an easy decision to replace this bit - but not before trying to scribe the lines - this time with a real scribing tool. On the starboard side it came out quite well (if a little bit deep) and I was really pleased with my new found skill:

DSC_0246.jpg

But that was the pride before the fall and on the port side I made a couple of slips:

DSC_0247.jpg

I'm hoping a few oil stain streaks might hide them!

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 2

And now with the dark green on. Of course it means redoing the gun sight and the inside of this area but it shouldn't be too much extra work and I am pleased to have those lines represented. This will go on the windowsill next to my Airfix Mk V Eduard Mk IX, Airfix Mk XII and eventually the Airfix Mk 24 that I put on hold to do this one. The idea is to show the development of the Spitfire so differences like this are things that I'm quite keen to capture.

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you might spot that i have also started making a few subtle changes to the camouflage shapes. This will take some blending in but I think might look a bit better.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by markleecarter
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hello there. I have just looked through your build as I wanted to see what was on offer with this new kit.

One bit of advice I would offer you as you are brush painting is to not bother with camouflage masks and just lightly pencil your outlines on then paint it free hand, much easier and much less mess as you dont get any of those nasty thich paint edges where the paint has dried against the masking.

Have to admit it must be twenty years since I last brush painted a model but free hand always yielded the best results. Coincidentaly the last model I brush painted was a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1. probably using a mixture of Humbrol enamels and Aeromaster acrylics, with a base of Halfords grey primer.

Matt.

One bit of advice I would offer you as you are brush painting is to not bother with camouflage masks and just lightly pencil your outlines on then paint it free hand, much easier and much less mess as you dont get any of those nasty thich paint edges where the paint has dried against the masking.

The thick edges are a pain. I often think I've buffed them away but then as soon as a decal goes over I can see huge ridges. I just haven't had much luck getting clean lines freehand but I suspect it's just a practise thing.

Anyway the other night after a VERY long break I managed to get a little bit more done to this and now it's just the pitot, a few more decals some tidying up and a tiny amount of weathering before I can call it done!

DSC_0540.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/17/2016 at 3:52 AM, markleecarter said:

So I have discovered that if you leave a model long enough (nearly a year since starting!!!) then the spiders will do some of the work for you - yes that is a genuine spider's web running from the aerial to the tail.

DSC_0729.jpg

That is just awesome. Buy that spider a beer!

Why was this kit discontinued. The Mk.V is still available but tis one is not. I still have some in my stash but want another one. The irony is that the crappy Mk.XII is still to be had but this one is gone. Is Airfix planning on replacing that POS kit?

3 hours ago, Otakar said:

Why was this kit discontinued. The Mk.V is still available but tis one is not. I still have some in my stash but want another one.

see below.  If you have some, then there is no rush, watch the usual place for used kits in the US, eg Ebay, Hyperscale and ARC sale pages.  They will turn up.

3 hours ago, Otakar said:

The irony is that the crappy Mk.XII is still to be had but this one is gone. Is Airfix planning on replacing that POS kit?

I doubt it,  it's a niche subject, and the Special Hobby kit is also available, and is overall far more accurate. 

Yes, I have both and have checked.  In short,  the Special Hobby is slightly short in the fuel tank area,  the Airfix shares most of the faults the Academy kit is always dammed for.

2 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

No idea why it isn't around and I've been looking for a while.

Scored one for a tenner at the Avon show over the weekend though! 😁

It seems Airfix's new policy is to do a run, sell it out, and then re-do the kit with new markings later on. (see Meteor, Sea Fury, Mustang etc) 

Reasons, less cash tied up, less warehouse space, no surplus floating around to be discounted,  and making people buy the kit when available, rather than waiting till it gets discounted. And the new markings boxes will get bought again by both modellers and collectors.

Expect a reissue in 2020 for the 80th BoB anniversary, with some new decals.

• 4 months later...

Going to be available again this spring😍 Same part # but with an "A" suffix. : A05126A According to the 2020 catalog.

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar