Punch Set

Breaker

Go Direct to RP, really nice guy and very helpful, and good tools, replacements can also be purchased. I bought a set about 2 months ago, and cannot remember all the details but worked out slightly cheaper than buying from Historex, and I think the euro exchange rate will improve it even more.

BUY direct and support the small manufacturers

Ali

UMM has sets as well.

http://www.umm-usa.com/

I have the mini set from UMM (Master Modeller John Vojtech's outfit); they are great to deal with and supply across the pond very quickly. However, their set is way cheaper than most and it's true to say that you gets what you pays for! Make no mistake; it is fine for basic work, but the business ends of the punches are actually solid, relying on their well-defined edges to perforate sheet styrene. I haven't tried them on thin sheet brass, but imagine the material would deform rather than perforate. Also, there is nothing to hold the material while you punch it: you have to slide it into the slot in the storage 'carousel', where there is nothing to secure it anyway This is a major limitation for me, as you can't see exactly where you're punching to hit a specific spot also -so forget using it on Airscale instruments or similar!. When it arrived, the punches were packaged separately from said carousel, which required a bit of careful relieving of the holes therein to get the punches to fit, and thus work. All very 'budget', certainly, but by no means entirely useless!

However, I'm highly indebted to the members who flagged up the RP Toolz effort -with all the endorsements, I'll be ordering one of those soon enough!

I have the mini set from UMM (Master Modeller John Vojtech's outfit); they are great to deal with and supply across the pond very quickly. However, their set is way cheaper than most and it's true to say that you gets what you pays for! Make no mistake; it is fine for basic work, but the business ends of the punches are actually solid, relying on their well-defined edges to perforate sheet styrene. I haven't tried them on thin sheet brass, but imagine the material would deform rather than perforate. Also, there is nothing to hold the material while you punch it: you have to slide it into the slot in the storage 'carousel', where there is nothing to secure it anyway This is a major limitation for me, as you can't see exactly where you're punching to hit a specific spot also -so forget using it on Airscale instruments or similar!. When it arrived, the punches were packaged separately from said carousel, which required a bit of careful relieving of the holes therein to get the punches to fit, and thus work. All very 'budget', certainly, but by no means entirely useless!

However, I'm highly indebted to the members who flagged up the RP Toolz effort -with all the endorsements, I'll be ordering one of those soon enough!

None of this applies to anything I have received from UMM. Sorry I posted on this thread now.

None of this applies to anything I have received from UMM. Sorry I posted on this thread now.

Good heavens! I'm sure you have nothing to be sorry about. Just to clarify, I'm a massive fan of Mr Vojtech's work (check out his B-2 and F-15, *WOW* doesn't begin to cover them!)...

http://www.umm-usa.com/mygallery/gallery.html

...and always found his UMM business to be absolutely top notch. In fact, I'm still not sure what I expected from a $36 mini punch set; probably a Waldron-quality item for half the cost -duhhh! Or maybe just a way to a. make holes in stuff and b. make tiny, thin discs to marvel at into the same bargain. Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and is perfect for the latter purpose. Since most of the recommendations here concern the RP item, I thought it fair to mention the UMM jobbie as it relates to that (more expensive) product, just to put a prospective buyer in the picture. Indeed, I'm sorry if it looked like I'm rubbishing a perfectly OK (for the price) product.

Edited by AngstROM

Describing ones own limitations does not reflect correctly on the tool being used.

Now I'm even more sorry I posted here .

Slagging an imminently usable tool , simply because you are unable to use it, is not cool.

I can list a few more manufacturers of punches , having them in my tool collection , but that would open them up to slagging as well.

Oh, the hypocrisy!

Describing ones own limitations does not reflect correctly on the tool being used.

Now I'm even more sorry I posted here .

Slagging an imminently usable tool , simply because you are unable to use it, is not cool.

I can list a few more manufacturers of punches , having them in my tool collection , but that would open them up to slagging as well.

Oh, the hypocrisy!

Actually we're probably all sorry about it now too.

If you took the trouble to simply read my original and subsequent posts (or get someone to read them to you), you would see that I have been at pains NOT to 'slag' the item in question, merely compare it to others in the same field, allowing for its price.

Also, my 'limitations' do not extend to using a punch and die set, as you seem to imply.

I cannot see where hypocrisy enters into any of this thread; since it now appears to have served its purpose and will probably be locked shortly, you will have to take your obvious personal issues elsewhere; no further apology necessary.

• Like 4

What are you using it for, and how often will you use it?

You can make a basic one from perspex sheet and use the back of drill bits

make one.

pic from here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4957-diy-punch-and-die-set/

Picture011.jpg

Another here , scroll down.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/thread/1265546857/Stirling+project+-++pt+4

pics of my home made punch set. It's a piece of scrap steel and a piece of scrap perspex. They are held together with two brass dowels and I use the ground end of the the drills as the punch. It's not pretty but it does the job for now.

P2070407.jpg

P2070408.jpg

I used some thickish perspex for both sides, added some brass alignment posts, glued into one side, and drilled holes.

It will punch thin sheet styrene fine, and I even did some 3mm discs from 0.40 thou [~1mm] sheet for ammo drums.

I have no doubt the professional ones are better, but unless you are doing A LOT of work with one, this is a budget alternative. I used a bit of wood to hit the drill bit.

You may want to use a file/grinder to sharpen/angle the drill bit end to get it to cut rather than punch.

• Like 1

Actually reading your posts you "imagine" what the tool can't do.

Pretty funny actually!

Next time be aware of what you are saying , or stick to actual experience rather than imagined.

LMAO

Rather than allude to the ineptitude of the poster, maybe you could have offered some helpful advice, as you obviously know what he's doing wrong. That would have been the gentlemanly thing to do.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have the small square UMM punch-n-die set, sizes from 0,6-3,0 mm. Paid 23 EUR for it at a model show last year.

It's a quality made tool for punching small discs from styrene and priced just right.

I don't even use a hammer, just a small block of hardwood that fits my palm.

Due to design, you can not use it to punch holes in instrument panels, unlike the RP tool.

But it beats the 40-60 EUR price range RP tools (also an quality tool) in my book.

Vedran

Rather than allude to the ineptitude of the poster, maybe you could have offered some helpful advice, as you obviously know what he's doing wrong. That would have been the gentlemanly thing to do.

What he's doing wrong is giving his 'imagined ' results of using the tool.