1/48 Airfix Red Arrows Hawk

With some trepidation, my first RfI...

I got back into modelling fairly recently; this is my first 'try and get a reasonably decent result' build, as well as an opportunity to try out airbrushing.

I had a lot of trouble with the decals. Not long after doing them I saw a post from someone else here building this kit (or what I assume is the reboxing of it with the Gnat) who commented about how bad they were, so I was relieved it wasn't just me. Thin and fragile, and came out pale and rather speckled, and the less said about the ones for the underside arrow the better. Efforts to patch up with white paint only showed up the problems more... Other lessons learned included making sure I had a proper fit. I ended up with slightly down-bent wings that needed straightening, but that left me with a lot of problems getting the intakes to fit.

Built OOB, except for two Pavla Mk 10 seats as I wanted to build without aircrew in the cockpit. Oh, and the pitot tube is replaced by a pin - even that is far more realistic looking than the plastic part supplied! Painted in Humbrol Arrow Red and finished with several coats of Humbrol Clear for the right gloss finish.

25d13dba-63c9-49ae-b19b-fa35f2f66326_zps

77ad7f62-de9f-4fce-9e31-39a033c182eb_zps1-48-Red-Arrow-25_zpsep7fgiiu.jpg

• Like 9

Nice Hawk. I like the way you painted the MDC on the canopy.

Nice Hawk. I like the way you painted the MDC on the canopy.

Ah, I did some research here and found the easy way to do that:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2607-hawk-canopies-made-easy/

• Like 1

Looks a cracker! Getting such a high gloss finish is a tough task, you've done it well! How did you apply your gloss? Did you thin it or straight from the jar?

Straight from the jar. I did the first coat by airbrush, but I then found that simply painting it on worked fine - Humbrol Clear self-levels very well. That's about three coats in total.

The only thing I'd note is that when you put a fresh coat on you seem to get this temporary bloom appearing; I at first thought it had all gone wrong but after a few minutes it fades to transparency.

• 4 months later...