First Thunderbirds TV trailer

and who knows there might be a few kits available soon :)

Amen to that, IF they are in a decent sized scale AND, they are actually decently detailed KITS as opposed to easy assemble, snap fit TOYS that unfortunately, so many sci - fi fantasy subjects end up as

Allan

Theres been a few comments in the media kits, etc that its not been made for us grumpy adults but for "the kids".........fair enough

The thing is ,the original show appealed to us all as kids in the first place , and for me its that initial thrill thats stayed with me ever since......no matter how many times ive re -watched them .

case in point

"FIREFLASH ! lift port wing ! "

anybody else get a childhood moment of glee at those words? a visual image ? a little adrenaline burst ? :P

and while im hoping that 2015s Gordon catchphrase ....

"My Squid sense is tingling ! "

.....will in 40 years time generate that same childhood moment of glee for future 50 year olds...im not so sure

Derek Meddings and his team influenced several generations of us as model makers , and will continue to do so every time the original is re-shown . as well as the inital set up and style the Andersons created in a true family show , that deliberatly targeted multiple age groups....... which judging by the Press Kits is as far away from the intent of this version as it could be

Regarding the kid that I was . the fact that as i grew older , the inherent sophistication of the show became more obvious,( as did my interest in model making , ) and the sheer skill of the people who made it. along with an appreciation of just how different it was to anything else around before or since was a huge part of its staying power and appeal . The original will still be far more unique (even to todays kids ) than this "Ben 10 " "Rebels /Clone Wars" ......er ....clone ,will be . (Even the Press Kit directly mentions its "comptetition in the marketplace " as those shows....)

Derek Meddings and his team influenced several generations of us as model makers , and will continue to do so every time the original is re-shown . as well as the inital set up and style the Andersons created in a true family show , that deliberatly targeted multiple age groups.......

But so far the Kid that 40+ years ago thrilled to his first viewing of Thunderbirds aint impressed yet....:(

heres hoping he will be !

• Like 4

Even if the only kits released are as easy build snap fit things, wouldn't the challenge be for us as modelers, to improve and detail them anyway rather than have a 500 part highly accurate masterpiece straight out of the box with a price tag to match?

Edited by MikeyJ
  • Like 2

Ha...This beats that hands down :winkgrin:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6ifS2nP53Zs This is the programme that got me into SF.

Oh and as far as Thunderbirds is concerned, I like the look of the new version, we didn't have CGI in our day and therefore can't truly compare it. This format is aimed at the children of today and their expectations are a lot different, they don't want to see strings and lifeless expression.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Edited by acting_strange
  • Like 2

Hi Guys n Gals,

so being 53 years old (but mentally about 9 and physically about 80) the Anderson's played a primary role in keeping me entertained for many a year.

I know they say that nostalgia isn't what it used to be but even but seeing a still shot now, or hearing a few seconds of the theme tunes, takes me back by decades.

It's not the technical effects that are important, it's just that the subject has to inspire the imagination of the viewer and if it does, then what more can you ask?

So whether us daft old beggars like the new productions or not, isn't important but the effect on the current viewers is. So it's a massive good luck to all concerned from me and if it creates memories like I have,almost half a century later, then bravo.

Regards

Reggie (proud to remain a kid forever)

• Like 4

"FIREFLASH ! lift port wing ! "

anybody else get a childhood moment of glee at those words? a visual image ? a little adrenaline burst ? :P

You're absolutely right Neil. I still get a kick out of that. It was amazingly well executed for its time. Even my partner who is 12 years younger than me and never watched it when she was a child was enthralled! I think I have converted her to the one true TB religion!! :lol:

Just a couple of other stand out moments ;

When Virgil is hauling the Sidewinder out of the fire pit

The truly magnificent Zero-X spaceship - get a thrill every time I see that assembly /take off sequence & then the final few seconds as the doomed craft hurtles to its final crash ! Real edge of the seat stuff!!

To answer your point Mikey, I am quite prepared to compromised and accept a well detailed 250 part kit at half the price of your hypothetical masterpiece!! :lol: .The difference between toy and scale model is of course usually all too obvious. I think there is room for both. The Thunderbirds could, if well executed , be stunning models. Now, anybody for a Fireball XL-5?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Took a look and for me it is a product of today, script, storyline, animation - the whole kit and caboodle - but what else could it be?

When I have the original Thunderbirds, Joe 90, etc on the shelf, I can't see me spending time watching this instead, but good luck to the producers for having a go.

For me it shows what a great job the original team did all those years ago.

cheers

• Like 1

I went to the 'Bond in Motion' exhibition in London yesterday and there's a mention of how Derek Meddings 'learned everything he knows' when he worked on Thunderbirds - his words. (The Bond exhibition is flippin' brilliant BTW)

Nothing will ever beat the original Thunderbirds. How could it?

I will give this new show a look though. I do like the craft re-vamps, I must admit.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen an announcement on ITV - Thunderbirds starts next Saturday 4 April at 1700hrs on ITV1.

Interestingly it's an hour long episode.

Graham

Just seen an announcement on ITV - Thunderbirds starts next Saturday 4 April at 1700hrs on ITV1.

Interestingly it's an hour long episode.

Graham

Actually, It's two separate 22 minute episodes - but I'll still be watching.

Don't miss the 'making of' Documentary that's on - Thursday night, 8pm.

Ah, right - I just looked at the listing on Sky which just gives one synopsis for an hour.

Thanks for the heads up for Thursday, ITV2. :thumbsup:

Graham

A bit of Googling has just brought up a bit of GREAT info...

The pilot show(s) - one hour, April 4th - are a TWO-PARTER - so effectively, a LONG show, the same as the originals and that there will be SEVERAL two-parters.

Great stuff.

Roy.