DH 83 Fox Moth SEAC, 1/72 scratch

've just finished (at least I think so - at the moment) - DH 83 Fox Moth. Scratch build. I used parts from AZ Tiger Moth (tail, engine, propeller, parts of u/c, wheels) and spare wings (sloteless) from A-model Gipsy Moth, with new central part and mounted at different angles. Fuselage is using rear part (enlarged by width and height) of AZ Tiger, front part is completly from pieces. I used basicaly Miranda & Mercado book plans, but I tried to corect some areas regarding photos (for exmple in drawings the doors ale flat, whereas photos show that they are bulbed).

Two Fox Moths were impressed to SEAC: MA954 and MA955, both impressed 31.10.42 and used by 3rd TAF Communications Sqn, Comilla in .44. Soc 31.7.44 (second one was for short used also by Bengal CU). There are at least two photos in IWM collection showing of one of those machines (serial is not visible)

Above photos show, that colours were rather badly weathered. So I was demolished a bit colours on model as well .
Here she is:
dh83 DSC03781
dh83 DSC03780
dh83 DSC03779dh83 DSC03774dh83 DSC03773dh83 DSC03771
dh83 DSC03770
dh83 DSC03760dh83 DSC03762

And the whole mine Moth's family - all of 2015 "production", presented on RFI already.

dh moths DSC03764

Thank you fro watching, comments welcome

Cheers
Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S.
A photo during work:
dh83 DSC03446
Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 24

What an interesting subject and a great addition to your De Havilland collection.

I suppose they didn`t bother with applying red crosses to this air ambulance as the Japanese had already proved by 1944 that there was no point in doing so!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I like all of your builds and this is no exception.

I think they would look even better if you would use semi gloss finishes instead of the matt ones you seem to favor.

Just my personal opnion ...

Anywys I always look at your threads and discover very interesting AC depicted.

• Like 1

Thank you Tony, Occa and both Mikes for so nice to me comments :)

Red crosses seems to be not in use in Burma those days in 1944 indeed, as they were not protecting anybody, I am sorry to say.

Fox Moth was a subject I was gethering data and preparing for years searching for an interesting markings. Spanish Nationalist was my favourite before few months ago I found those photos in IWM collection - and data about serials in a list of all Fox Moths history. The SEAC won as you see.

Cheers

J-W

Thats a real nice one Jerzy. The Fox Moth has quite a big place in early airline ops in this country, especially the area my wife comes from, the South Islands Westcoast, a bit of the history here, there is a replica in her home town, Hokitika, but I have to say, I like the colours that you've done yours in better, nice job all around, but thats what we've come to expect from you. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve for comment :)

Actually besides Spainish Civil War I was considering also New Zaeland markings (as well as Australian). One NZ in photo I have found was aluminium dope and I preferred camo - the another one was in camouflage but with roundels with red middles (A1 roundels on fuselage), so I thought that it is likely before the War. There was also one in SAAF - but I have not found paintings scheme. And double blue roundels of SEAC have sexappeal, no doubt about this, so when I found them I decided this way, I apologize for that :)

Cheers

J-W.

• Like 1

Thank you Kampatiger and Miggers for coments.

Excuse me for my ignorance but are those windows behind the engine line?

Indeed! - DH 83 was light passanger airplane - she tooks 3 passangers on board, one was siting back to the flight and two others with faces to the direction of flight. As a ambulance she was taking not more than two wounded, I think, please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

• 1 year later...

Thank you for pointing me to this build JWM :) 

It really is very nice. I agree with you about SEAC roundels; I like how you describe them as 'sexy' :D . I agree! We modellers are a strange bunch indeed.

All of the moths here are great. I need to go through your previous builds. The ambulance at top right; what kind of moth is that?

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 29.09.2016 at 7:48 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

The ambulance at top right; what kind of moth is that?

As JWM's younger daughter has her wedding today, he's too busy to answer you perhaps :(

So would you let his brother to answer you - this RAAF ambulance is just a "fixed-head coupe" variant of the Tiger Moth.

What's funny - the Russians have done exactly the same to their Polikarpov U-2 :)  1_o_2.jpg

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Michael :) 

It's good to hear from you.

I hope your niece has a wonderful wedding day 👰 .

I will send a message to Jerzy-Wojtech of good wishes for the day.

His models are always a pleasure to view; I like that it is a RAAF air ambulance, but I am a little biased ;) 

Have a great weekend Michael,

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Indeed I havent seen this conversation apparently because the daughter wedding. And this was almost a year ago. Sorry...

Thank you for your comments. This is good to go through ald posts converting them from bucket to Flickr and see some posts I have not seen yet.... 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1