1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double

The other part of my Work in Progress post was the newly-released Airfix Dornier 17Z & Boulton Paul Defiant Dogfight Double set, which I finished today:

DSCN2779.jpg

DSCN2781.jpg

DSCN2784.jpg

DSCN2787.jpg

DSCN2788.jpg

DSCN2791.jpg

DSCN2792.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

These kits were built OOB as Airfix intended, though I did repaint the stand from the moulded-plastic black to a less obtrusive blue to blend in a bit with the background - I also filled the underside with Polyfilla for stability (even without the landing gear and bomb-load the Dornier model still has a bit of heft about it) and stuck some green felt underneath to avoid getting atomised Polyfilla powder all over my shelf.

The aircraft represented in the set are for a dogfight on 26 August 1940 between the 5K+AR (which was apparently the identity of the aircraft salvaged off the Goodwin Sands last year - though there seems to be some argument about this) and L7005 PSoB of 264 Squadron, flown by Sergeants Thorn and Barker, who also claimed a second Dornier and a Bf109 on the same mission - the 109 was shot down whilst attacking the damaged Defiant as it attempted to crash-land near Herne Bay, where it burned out.

Sergeants Thorn and Barker both survived the war, although in Edward Thorn's case not by much; he was killed flying a Meteor in 1946. Regarding the Dornier crew, there is a difference in my reference between Airfix and the Luftwaffe Crash Archive (Vol.2) as to survivors, Airfix state that two were killed and two captured, the Luftwaffe Crash Archive notes that Fw. Willi Essmert was captured wounded, Uffz Richard Ritzel and Helmut Reinhardt were captured and flight engineer Gefr Heinz Huhn was killed and is buried in the German Cemetery at Cannock Chase.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 41

Wow Stew,

Another superb Dornier with an equally nice Defiant and they look great mounted on the twin stand!

Have you nabbed some of my missing modelling elves?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Gosh, these are magnificent - may I have them? :)

They could be displayed anywhere, and carry their own.

Ten out of ten here I'd say.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice work indeed Stew , both builds are spot on . Good work on the stand too. :goodjob:

Thank you very much Keith :D

I have thoroughly enjoyed your builds of this and the previous Defiants and they have given me plenty of inspiration to build the four I have already hoarded.

Thanks very much!

Thank you Jim :D - four Defiants? Good man :D

Really enjoyed your builds Stew, I think your thread will sell quite a few kits for Airfix. Great finish :)

Thanks very much Woody, if they keep producing kits like these they won't need any help selling them :lol:

Really superb, I can only hope mine turns out as well when I get to it!

Thanks Jon - I bet it will :)

What a great result, for both the kits, and the way they are displayed.

Fantastic stuff !

I am keen to get me one of each, if they ever make it to my part of the world.

Thank you very much Wayne, I hope you don't have to wait too long :)

Thanks for your attention gents,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Another thoroughly enjoyable WIP resulting in a superb Dogfight Double display. If you could only bottle it!

Well done.

Thanks very much Stix :lol:... hmm, perhaps it could be done, they put model ships in bottles you know... :D

Excellent double Stew, I enjoyed both the build and the history.

That Do17 looks to be in trouble alright!

Thanks very much Cookie, the Dornier appears to be rearing up in terror, doesn't it? That's because I put it on the longer stand support I think when it was meant to go on the shorter one, but I couldn't find a way of the Defiant to be convincingly engaging it except from the front :blush:

Wow Stew,

Another superb Dornier with an equally nice Defiant and they look great mounted on the twin stand!

Have you nabbed some of my missing modelling elves?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks very much Tony :lol:

I agree with the others, these are a fantastic pair of builds and will surely add sales to Airfix.

Duncan B

Thanks very much Duncan, I am glad I got to do them without making too much of a mess of it, really :D

lovely work ..I can't belive how many you've finished already this year !

Thanks very much Neil :D - it only averages about two kits per month though, it's hardly Procopian :lol:

Thanks for your attention gents,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Gosh, these are magnificent - may I have them? :)

They could be displayed anywhere, and carry their own.

Ten out of ten here I'd say.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you very much Mike :D - of course you can have them, collection only though I am afraid, I don't even want to think about having to post them :lol:

Great looking pair, they look great nice job on the finish. They do look good in that position!

Thanks very much Batcode, I prefer them that way around too, Airfix had them reversed in their publicity shots which is probably more stable, but I had the mighty weight of Polyfilla to aid me :lol:

Very good. What a story sounds like the defiant isn't as bad as everyone says! Great build!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!!! :)

Thanks very much Noah; under the right circumstances the Defiant could be deadly to the enemy, under the wrong circumstances it was deadly to its crew; in the action of 26 August 1940 264 Squadron claimed seven bombers and a fighter against losses of three Defiants and a fourth seriously damaged - a third of the squadron lost in one mission.

Cheers,

Stew

Great pair Stew! Love the subtle weathering on the defiant and exhaust staining on both. Your work over the last 3 deviants and 2 do17's has been amazing quality and very helpful to myself so thanks for that as well

Also good idea to paint the stand really improves it!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1