Applying decals

kiya64

I'm about at the stage of applying decals to my Eurofighter/typhoon, I've read somewhere its best to put gloss varnish on model first before applying decals,then cover with satin / Matt for required finish, is this correct? Any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Good advice from both Rick and robvulcan. Also, polish the paint with micro-mesh if you have any to make the surface as smooth as glass.

• Like 1

Microsol is the best stuff next to old Klear. But microsol/set will allow you to get over some very heavily engraved / raised details too just let it work for you and trust it, it's like magic, if it bubbles your decals don't freak out and touch it just leave it and it will sort itself out.

Rob :)

I agree with Rick and Rob. I would just add a stronger warning to expect, after application of MicroSol the decals will bubble or wrinkle initially. Don't wory, it will go away. It is the chemical process to make them conform to the kit surface and detail. I always wait at least 12 hours to let it do its magic. If the decal still isn't behaving, you can put multiple applications on and it won't melt the decal. Just resist the temptation to play with it or adjust it when the bubble/wrinkle process starts. Good luck and hope to see your finished model.

• Like 2

I never use a "Future" or "Varnish" layer before adding decals. A layer of Vallejo Matt Acrylic varnish does the job just as well. I use Mr. Mark Softer and Mr. Mark Set to make them snuggle down and look painted on. Just my :2c:

I don't think you could go wrong using either the Micro Sol/Set system or Mark Set/Softener system. I use the Micro Sol/Set system because my local hobby shop carries that, but not the Mark Set/Softener system. Both work about the same and are excellent products.

• Like 2

Thanks I've got micro sol/set , thanks for the advice, sorry if it sounded a silly question. Last time I built an aircraft model was 20 years ago and boy has things advanced in that time

• Like 1

Not a silly question at all. Putting decals on is a big part of the finished model. Look forward to seeing your finished work.

I don't think you could go wrong using either the Micro Sol/Set system or Mark Set/Softener system. I use the Micro Sol/Set system because my local hobby shop carries that, but not the Mark Set/Softener system. Both work about the same and are excellent products.

Hi George, I find the Mark products to be a bit "hotter" than the Micro fluids giving a better result but giving you the possibility to s**** up in a major fashion :winkgrin:

Thanks I've got micro sol/set , thanks for the advice, sorry if it sounded a silly question. Last time I built an aircraft model was 20 years ago and boy has things advanced in that time

Welcome back! I've recently started modelling again after a very long break and things have advanced, a lot... and you can spend lots of time and money on new tools and paints and glues and fillers. I love 'researching' in BM forums and the guys here are really helpful and experienced (just don't ask about paint colours!)

I try and get a smooth finish on the paint so I don't use a gloss ...

Decal%20Video.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCLz7xnnZQ

Hey Paul!

I love Paul's YouTube videos - kiya64 a few minutes watching these will help, a lot. Practical advice and answering most of the questions you have when new / returning to modelling, and then some.

(and don't be fooled by Paul's Member title - "Newbie"? I don't think so!!)