Airfix's NEW Spitfire Mk1 - 1/48th scale - A quick in box look

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Rob

A slight change in serial and codes gives you its hangar mate

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11872&stc=1&d=1073041545

Trevor

Gah, look at the wandering lines on that, would ya! Not very good with the masking, were they? Embarrassing, what?

I was just always attracted by the yellow nose, a la 109, a sort of prehistoric Top Gun/DACT bird. Never mind I'll probably still do the kit*, with the yellow beak, and dam# the copycats - I saw it first! ;)

* Assuming that it's justifiably priced in the Land Down Under.

Thanks Don for the info on the polishing products. They will, as you imply, remove the scuffs but cannot remove the distortion unfortunately. Airfix seem to have the panel lines sorted, just need to improve the clear parts to make them top notch.

That's the spirit, I think it's in the Ten Commandments, or should be;

'Thou cans' t not ever have too many Spitfire kits in ones stash' especially now with the new Mk's 1 and Vb and Eduards IX and VIII.

• Like 1

What a lovely kit - I am going to enjoy building this. My only minor niggle is that you can't do a totally accurate X4382. It carried a personal emblem which shows in photographs, but is indistinct. I have photos of this aircraft but you just can't see it clearly. One would assume that Airfix erred on the side of caution and left it off. But stuff it, I'm going to have fun with it anyway! :)

Paul J, you are a very lucky man to have no defects in your clear parts. About half of my new tooled Airfix stash have defects, mainly flow lines, webbing etc. Spit PR XIX, Gloster Javelin, Lancaster BII to name just a few. I know this subject has been debated at length on this site and others but I do think it's the one thing that let's Airfix kits down. I love the brand so much I'm prepared to accept it (begrudgingly) and get aftermarket vac forms where possible.

Just a note to say my Mk1 Spit clear parts are fine too. Plenty of manufacturers put the clear parts in a separate bag, in with the other sprues too - and I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had scuff marks. Maybe you've just been unlucky?

Trumpeter may pack their kits well, but their research is rubbish - better the danger of scuffing and parts being accurate, than nicely packed cr*p, in my book :)

Cheers

Jonners

Jonners, I have the perfect solution - A Trumpeter and Airfix merger. Just kidding. Agree with what you say about Trumpeter kits. Scuffing aside on my Spit canopies which can be easily polished out, you cannot polish out flow lines and distortion which a lot of my Airfix canopies suffer from. I can't be that unlucky, can I?

Regards

Andy

Jonners, I have the perfect solution - A Trumpeter and Airfix merger. Just kidding. Agree with what you say about Trumpeter kits. Scuffing aside on my Spit canopies which can be easily polished out, you cannot polish out flow lines and distortion which a lot of my Airfix canopies suffer from. I can't be that unlucky, can I?

Regards

Andy

Looks like it Andy, I've checked mine, perfectly free of both scuff and flow marks.

I'd get onto Airfix if I were you and ask for replacements.

Wez