1/72 Airfix Dornier Do17Z 9/KG.76 'Kenley Raider' 18 August 1940

I've just finished this, the new Airfix Dornier D017Z representing of an aircraft of 9/KG.76 which took part in the spectacular and rather ill-fated raid on RAF Kenley on the 18 August 1940:

DSCN2756.jpg

DSCN2760.jpg

DSCN2764.jpg

DSCN2767.jpg

DSCN2769.jpg

DSCN2774.jpg

The kit is superbly detailed and generally went together well with only a couple of 'sticky' spots - long-winded and meandering but fairly comprehensive build thread here

The kit was built mostly OOB with the addition of Eduard micro-fabric seatbelts.

The decals were mostly from the kit's supplied decals, codes and badges from the new Xtradecals Dornier sheet, with the exception of the yellow 'D', the black underwing 'D's and the black 'A' on the upperwing, which were from the Techmod Dornier set.

The 'A' on the upperwing is noted (and pictured) in Nigel Parker's 'Luftwaffe Crash Archive' Volume 2 P192/3 - he suggests it was a replacement wing from another aircraft.

The F1+DT ended its operational history this day with a crash-landing at Leaves Green, near Biggin Hill, in Kent, having been damaged over Kenley by AA fire and attacks from 111 Squadron Hurricanes. The crew - Hptm Joachim Roth, Obltn Rudolf Lamberty, Hptm Gustav Peters, Ofw Valentin Geier and Fw Hugo Eberhard - all survived, albeit all injured to various degrees. The Kenley raid is minutely analysed and described in detail by Dr Alfred Price in his excellent book 'The Hardest Day'.

This is how the F1+DT became one of the iconic images of the Battle of Britain

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 45

Great end to a great build Stew - thanks for letting us look in.

Gorgeous result and great detail, both historically and on the model.

• Like 1

Superb build and comprehensive WIP Stew, I,m sure it will temp a good few folk to pick one up and maybe move into Luftwaffe subjects.Great stuff!

• Like 1

Cracking! I quite fancy one of these, and this isn't making it easy to resist!

Thanks very much :D - resistance is futile Mitch Borg.png

Very, very nice.

Thanks very much Dave :D

Excellent job you've done there,Stew . . . I hope mine turns out as good as that ! :goodjob::cheers:

Thanks SF, it is a lovely kit, but watch the engine installation and the bomb-bay skylight windows, I had problems with them which I could have probably avoided with a bit of foresight :D

Wow! - perfect...

Congratulations :)

J-W

Thank you very much Jerzy-Wojtek :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Great end to a great build Stew - thanks for letting us look in.

Gorgeous result and great detail, both historically and on the model.

Thanks Ced, it was a pretty epic journey and I'm pleased to have brought everything to an adequately successful conclusion :D

Superb build and comprehensive WIP Stew, I,m sure it will temp a good few folk to pick one up and maybe move into Luftwaffe subjects.Great stuff!

Thanks Steve, it was definitely an absorbing build :D

Nice job looks great

Thanks Batcode :D

What a great advert for the new Airfix kit. You've done a cracking job on it and I'm quite sad that the WIP is over as it was a great source of inspiration.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan; yes I have that same feeling as you get when you reach the end of a good book... sort of happy-sad :)

Very nice indeed!

Thank you very much Jim :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Hiya Stew,

What an absolute belter,...... brilliant Dornier, I love the scheme and cheers for the history behind the real aircraft which helps to bring the model alive!

Cheers

Tony.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Thank you all gents :D

Jon, no thanks, I won't be building the post-action version, whatever makes you think I do this for the challenge? :lol: I don't want to be challenged by my hobby, I want a nice easy relaxing pleasant trouble-free build thank you very much B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Thats really nice Stew, as others have said, I like the colours you've used, the story behind it & the detail work you've done, quite simply super. As if I needed it but I think you've sold me on one of these.

- long-winded and meandering

Noooooo, don't be so hard on yourself. ;):D

Steve.

• Like 1

A real stunner! Some of your best yet and that really is saying something! Can't wait for the other two. Just reading with wings like eagles and I'm just at the point of kenley on the 18th so well timed.

Don't know what you mean about a meandering build thread, I would have used things like concise, direct, to the point and completely on topic.....

Cheers for enlightenment

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2