Kawasaki Ki-48 Type 99 "Lily", 1/72, Mania

Hi,

Back to shelves with Japan airplanes, next one cleaned from the dust:) - the Kawasaki Ki-48 type 99, in Allies code "Lily". This was a tactical bomber. Markings are presenting machine from 34 Sentai, JAAF, New Guinea 1944. Kit was from Mania (I do not know if it is the same kit as produced by Hasegawa, or different?). I made her about 20 years ago, OOB.

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ki48 DSC03721ki48 DSC03722ki48 DSC03723ki48 DSC03724

ki48 DSC03725ki48 DSC03726ki48 DSC03727

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 22

Very nice as usual, J-W! I believe it is the same kit as the Hasegawa kit. I'm thinking about buying one myself. Great job on the camouflage!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Well done, Sir :)

AFAIK the Mania Ki-48 moulds were taken over by Hasegawa in early 80s as was the case with Ki-51, B5N, Ki-15 and Ki-27.

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy!!!

Just a wonderful airplane and a more wonderful build!!! Ilike the way you did a cammouflage so complicated in this nice bird, and surely with all the magnificent jobs displayed here by you, if a huge japanese model lot will cross in front of me, I will rush to buy all the lot ASAP!!!!

ALSO as KRK said, all the Mania Kits ( I remember those nice sold in pairs in the same box, and at that time were very cheap) seem to be now part of Hasegawa, now very expensive and BTW a wonderful acquisitionby them, as the moulds are wonderful!!!

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis, Jason and Mike for comments :) I have next Japan bombers to post, but I have to re-decal them. Something wrong happen to decals with time, and it happend only on Japan models

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi Jerzy

I'm trying to finish one of these in the current KUTA GB, if it turns out half as good as yours i'll be absolutely delighted :like:

I don't suppose you can remember the colours you used for this one do you ? :shrug:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

The Mania, then Hasegawa (same mould) Ki-48 was, in the early 70's one of the best kit produced and it still holds its own nowadays. It still has to be matched! Very nice rendition, cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

'm trying to finish one of these in the current KUTA GB, if it turns out half as good as yours i'll be absolutely delighted :like:

I don't suppose you can remember the colours you used for this one do you ? :shrug:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat, Many thanks1 I did this model about 1995, I have my notes I could check it , but this is not important when I did this model since something I still remember. I painted her with Humbrol enamels, the pale green is 90 or 97 - I am not sure, but more likely it was 97. The dark green color is likely some mix, not the real one number color, because these days I was trying to save money spent on modelling mixing the colours instead of having a huge collection of whole available palette. It should Imperial Army green. I "Humbrol Authentic" series there was I think IA green - which has some grey and olive component, perhaps it could substituted be  Humbrol 102. Mine is perhaps a bit too fresh green. At least today I will go with H. 102.

1 hour ago, Zigomar said:

The Mania, then Hasegawa (same mould) Ki-48 was, in the early 70's one of the best kit produced and it still holds its own nowadays. It still has to be matched! Very nice rendition, cheers.

Thank you! There is new kit by AZ, BTW - I was surprised that they released it since the high quality of Mania/Hase kit and relatively narrow market for Japanese bomber... I have still seen Hasegawa one in local shop not long ago...

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Remus389 said:

Very good result, considering it's brush painted. I assume at the time you didn't have an airbrush yet. The precision on the canopy is outstanding.👍

Thank you. Of course, this was all brush painted. It took hours, and the main problem was not to hurry or became nervous - the blotches immediately would goes out differently.... 

Moreover - I was not using any masking, this is just free hand with "00" brush going on all frames. When I look a this now I am now surprised, that I was able to paint that so precisely. I am still using only brushes, however for canopies I am using tricks with tapes initially masking with 2 mm tape in one direction only. After painting those parts of  frames  (after drying) I  remove tapes, make masking in perpendicular direction and paint the rest of frames... t is much easier then cutting the window-size elements for each single window, one by one (if you cannot just buy masks for certain model...). Perhaps the age I was building this Lily (~40) is the best time for your biological abilities compromised with skills... Now it is more difficult.

Regards

J-W

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A lovely build, I’m mightily impressed by your painting of the colour scheme !

Wulfman

thank you. I doubt if today I will have that much of patience... 🤔

regards

J-W