Peashooter and puller, distraction quick build

I'm in danger of losing momentum this year, having made a decent start, and I needed something quick but satisfying to get met back in the groove. The PSC Loyd Carrier seems to fit the bill.

16538238847_05e1807eb8_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16557948118_8ddd100e44_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16557944968_472430d985_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16719601066_c7f8f8e969_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16744432922_0b098d837f_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16719594536_a4c7db7f9e_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16558102830_40b90a6201_c.jpgPSC Loyd Carrier and 6 pounder by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 4

All of this represents less than an hour's work. The gun is just dry fitted, needs more clean up and sorting out. The Jerry can is crude, so if anyone can suggest a source for 1/72 cans that are a bit more up to the mark I'd be pleased to hear about it.

And which leg should the tow shackle fit on? I've tried googling without much success.

Pretty sure they served throughout, there were a couple of Marks. This one is late war, France 44, if I understand stuff then they were mostly used in Infantry battalions for hauling the embedded AT weapons.

There was also a version that operated as battery carrier, which I have read was used to jump start tanks and so on. Would be a fun conversion if I ever get a second set - you get two in a box (and two guns) but I think the standard table of equipment for each gun was one tow vehicle/ personnel carrier and one ammunition carrier, so hopefully I can make my pair meet that set up.

Oi! What are doing dragging me into strange forums?

That looks cute though... Perhaps when I've filled my ceiling.

• Like 1

I need to dig them out and get some paint on, but I did a pair of the universal carriers a while back, never finished them but used the parts form the IBG version to detail up one of them, the IBG uses four times the parts and is barely more convincing when completed. Aside from the carriers, I've only built the firefly, but all have been very enjoyable.

The ammunition carrier often had a 35cwt trailer instead of the gun - you can get them from various Jeep kits.

Milicast do a series of Loyd Carriers in 1/76, including ammo carriers with and without the trailer. It might be worth a look on their site for information/inspiration, if nothing else.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

The ammunition carrier had a 35cwt trailer instead of the gun - you can get them from various Jeep kits.Milicast do a series of Loyd carriers in 1/76.

Thanks Graham. I'll get looking. The milicast ones looked nice, but these were in the shop, and, rightly or wrongly, I prefer the marginal extra heft that 1/72 gives.

Interesting looking project. And quick!

Ha, couldn't let these Tigers have it all their own way! Wittman's destructive run through Villers-Bocage was apparently brought to an end by Sergeant Bray of the Rifles, who used his 6 pounder to disable the Tiger by shooting at its running gear.

• Like 1

Very easy to put together, and "feels right" if that makes sense. I don't have a plan to check them for scale but compared to the Universal Carrier they are similar in size.

A lot of progress today:

16566071528_9ac3af3a22_c.jpgBreech drilled out by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16546381817_c72efac261_c.jpgDrilled out barrel and sighting hole by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16137134353_b840d54d71_c.jpgBreech details by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16137139903_143600b3f7_c.jpgShield catches by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16134782404_12b1b793df_c.jpgSplash of paint by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16569698230_7666d0b3e7_c.jpgHooked up by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16569704720_e379a8c631_c.jpgReady for weathering by jongwinnett, on Flickr

16755933651_8faff7e728_c.jpgHood by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the hood, might leave it off and make some sticks from wire. Even with the details and paint, this is still only a couple of hours leisurely work.

The worst part of the kit are the gun tyres, the wheel rims look ok, but the tyre treads aren't anything like the chevrons of the real thing.

Next up is painting the crew and scratch building seats etc for the second carrier. However I supect that might wait for a day or two whilst I press on with the Bf109.

Stix rather sensibly suggested I build this as part of this GB, and the Mods were kind enough to move the thread (thanks Dave) so hopefully tonight I will get time to make some progress!

I have a few generic markings I can use, but could anyone suggest a source for the "T" numbers and Wessex Division markings?

• Like 1

Life continues to resolutely get in the way of any actual modelling, but I have managed to order some decals from Milicast which should cover the Unit Insignia and so on, but I still can't find a source for the "T" registration/serial numbers.

Its not bad, Fit at the rear is a bit suspect. I may well modify one to show the front bow raised, which seemed to be quite common, and leave the other open. I also think the second carrier will be in Scc. 2 brown with mickey mouse shading, unless anyone leaps up and says they never appeared like that?

• 2 weeks later...