Arado Ar-234

There was a thread somewhere else on this site about your "Nemesis model".

This, I think, is mine!

I have got a part built MDC Ar-234 tucked away, and a Hasegawa 48th scale one languishing on the shelf of doom.

I have always liked this aeroplane, but I can never seem to get one finished quite the way I would like to.

A trip to Hannants found the 1/32nd scal Fly kit of the beast, and having more cash than sense, I got it.

I have never built a Fly kit before, or read too much about them but I was pleasantly surprised by the contents of the box.

It is a limited run kit, and I have built a few of those, so no dramas.

Some nice tan plastic, with thin clear parts and beautifully crisp resin parts all topped off with a lovely decal sheet and some etched parts.

The project started well, the cockpit went together well, I added the wiring for the instruments, and the kit supplies individual decals for the instrument dials.

The fuselage went together well, the wings fitted ok, after a bit of sanding and scraping, and pretty quickly, I had an Arado.

Paint time.

I used RLM matched colours from Xtracolor, which I have used on numerous occasions, and the decals, though thin, went on well and settled down nicely over the fine engraved details.

I even tried some pre-shading on the underside and was happy with the results.

Time to weather the top side.

Oh dear! Now it went down the pan, hit the fan, turned pear shape, etc, etc.

Despite sealing the paint and decals with Klear, as usual, the wash attacked and blistered the paint in a number of places, but only on the top side and only on one of the colours.

I got so upset, and annoyed the Arado nearly had a premature test flight out of the window.

The model was put aside for a few days and I walked away from it, thinking it would end up alongside the MDC and Hasegawa kits.

However, I decided it was not going to totally beat me so I went back to it and had ago at fixing things.

That is why the topside features some excessive paint wear in places, as that was the only way I could think to fix the damage to the paint work.

So here is my third attempt at an Arado Ar-234.

The model is in the markings of a machine that was used to attack the Remagen bridge and was shot down by American AAA (Nearly getting shot down by me some decades later!)

The decals for this kit come from the MDC kit, not the Fly kit which provides markings for a captured machine flown by the USA, and the UK along with an operational Luftwaffe machine and a test Aeroplane based at Rechlin.

So when examining the model, please be aware that the thing didn't go at all the way I wanted it to.

100_4319.jpg

upload photo

100_4318.jpg

photo uploader

100_4317.jpg

post a picture

100_4316.jpg

photo share

100_4315.jpg

photo hosting sites

100_4314.jpg

upload img

100_4313.jpg

screen capture windows 7

100_4320.jpg

take a screenshot

The large "Herman" bomb is from the spares box as no bombs are included in the kit.

Here are a couple of shots of the cockpit:

100_4284.jpg

uploading images

100_4285.jpg

how to print screen on pc

100_4289.jpg

image hosting no sign up

100_4282.jpg

image search

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 30

Arado 234 was only in late war color scheme 76/81/82.Sorry but Instruction is not good material for painting.But the model is very clean and profesional bulid.The cockpit looks like real.Sorry for critics.

Edited by Reserve_22

Arado 234 was only in late war color scheme 76/81/82.Sorry but Instruction is not good material for painting.But the model is very clean and profesional bulid.The cockpit looks like real.Sorry for critics.

Arado_234B_3a.jpg

Sorry For big picture...

From this small photo, the paint job is about the same with the model. Maybe slightly different. But don't forget that the aircraft was being produced very late in the war meaning that they were built in the open, stored in the open and painted in the open meaning that the paint will vary, due to the rain getting at it and it being in the sun and as they wouldn't really worry about the paint being sealed in so it will fade etc.

Edited by The_Lancaster
  • Like 1

Sorry For big picture...

From this small photo, the paint job is about the same with the model. Maybe slightly different. But don't forget that the aircraft was being produced very late in the war meaning that they were built in the open, stored in the open and painted in the open meaning that the paint will vary, due to the rain getting at it and it being in the sun and as they wouldn't really worry about the paint being sealed in so it will fade etc.

That aircraft is finished in 81/82/76 as it should be. Ar234s built and painted in the open is a new one on me where did you get that information from? Some Me262s were built in a forest complex that I do know.

Anyway back to the model, that cockpit looks superb and so does the canopy framing, was it done using decal strips?

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the build either..

However I'm with reserve 22 in saying you have finished it in the wrong upper surface colours which is a shame. Apart from the pre production and maybe the first production machines, which were maybe finished in 70/71/65 all Ar234s were finished in 80/81/76, it looks like this model has been finished in 75/83/76?

Tim.

Hi The_Lancaster.This foto is from USA museum and this plane color is not original and it is reconstruction.And this photo has bad color here you are better link https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/arado-ar-234-blitz/.You can see same plane and other colors becouse is in better quality.This plnes are not built outside but in Arado factory in 76/81/82 color scheme and the ground personal care on this Secret planes well.

Rlm76-Lichtblau

Rlm81-Braunviolet

Rlm82-Hellgrun

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/lfw_late_war_colors/

Edited by Reserve_22

As I have already said, I followed the instructions regarding the colours.

If they are wrong, well there's not a lot I can do about it now I'm afraid.

Thanks for the all the comments and compliments, they're greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

For a disaster that looks great, wish my disasters were as good ! I've got one of those in the stash so I'm pleased that it can be turned into a great looking kit.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

What a great looking model. You put a lot of work into the cockpit. The seat looks excellent. I like all the wiring on the rear of the instrument panel. Really impressive model. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

A couple of my refs (Monogram Monarch, Aero Detail, AJPress Aircraft Monograph) state that the prototypes and some early aircraft were finished in 65/70/71? In fact I would suspect that both 140110 (S10) and, possibly, 140151 offered in Fly kit were in 65/71/70. It is also possible that the NASM aircraft was originally in 65/70/71. However later aircraft were in 81/82/76 and the Fly kit shows these colours for 140476. Given that 140342 was first flown on Nov.23, 1944 it is most likely it is in 76/81/82, (the AJPress book states that this scheme first started with 140141, but how corret this is I don't know)). Interestingly the MDC instructions say 140342 "may be 76/81/82".

So the Fly kiinstructions aren't wrong, it's just that "HL-10" may have misinterpreted them.

I'd welcome any other info.

I intend finishing mine as 140151, or possibly 140110 if I could find more info on the Hs293 tests it was involved in?

Andy

Edited by andym

Yes the early prototypes are in 70/71/65 like Do335A bud the series planes classic late war color scheme 76/81/82 but Do335A are in 81/82/65.The colors 70/71/65 are lot on stock than are using on prototypes on end of war.Early prototypes are in Rlm02 color.

Edited by Reserve_22

Yes the early prototypes are in 70/71/65 like Do335A bud the series planes classic late war color scheme 76/81/82 but Do335A are in 81/82/65.The colors 70/71/65 are lot on stock than are using on prototypes on end of war.Early prototypes are in Rlm02 color.

Yup agree with info on Do335.

Andy

• Like 1

Eh? Are they designed to be detached and recovered? looks like a chute packed on the front??

Yup, there's a pic in the AJPress book showing them being dropped after use and the parachutes starting to open.

HTH

Andy