Another Nightshoot, RAF Northolt.

Radleigh

You do take rather good pictures. I wish mine were as good.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Magic Radleigh. love the definition in your pics and the colour too. My fav has got to be the Sea King but then I'm a chopper nut. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

• Like 1

Superb shots Radleigh!

The Cessna is rather special though! I always thought that they were the sports cars of the skies compared to the Pipers!

• Like 1

Gorgeous photos, really sharp. May I ask what your setup is?

Cheers

Camera was a 60D, I did take a 7D but I never used it. Lenses were Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (hangar shots) & Canon kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.

Looking at the ones posted, the first ZD621 photo and the last Sea King photo were taken with the kit lens ( 18-55 that belonged to my dad, it's 20 years old but works well... more with this lens + 60D can be seen here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977168-south-cheshire-militaire-show/)

Then the others apart from three hangar photos are either 100mm/50mm primes, I use these all the time now at these night shoots as they are my sharpest lenses... as seen above, I haven't sharpened any photos at all. I think two or three had some colour adjustment then my watermark added.

Both lenses can be had fairly cheaply on MPB... highly recommended.

Thank you all for the comments too! :)

• Like 1

The Cessna is rather special though! I always thought that they were the sports cars of the skies compared to the Pipers!

10 kts slower than an Arrow, but still a good all round aircraft. They do get off the ground very quickly.

Edit: Looking back at the Skylane pics, I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner one!

Edited by Dave Wilson
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments! :)

I've just noticed that it must have been very windy!! ;)

Yes it was windy! Good spot.... makes night photography tricky but I manage ;)

20 hours in an Arrow IV and about the same in 182s and 177s.

You're right, Dave, but somehow the bigger Cessnas always looked faster. I loved the 182, the 177 not so much, but that did look like a sports car! I always thought that if it was a car, it would be a BMW 6 series.

20 hours in an Arrow IV and about the same in 182s and 177s.

The dreaded T tail?! Never flown a IV, I fly a I with the 180hp donk. We used to have a 182P at the club (G-GUMS, no surprises it used to belong to a dentist...) which was very nice, it really motored on take off once you got up to about 40 kts and the prop started to work. Mind you with 235 hp it should have done.

• 2 weeks later...