When you get a new airbrush nozzle...

Dave A

... and realise the old one wasn't just a bit worn on one side like you thought, but had reamed itself out to about twice its original diameter...

No wonder I wasn't getting fine lines! :banghead:

• Like 3

Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. The obvious is under our nose and we miss it. We all do it. :)

Is that your Fury I can see? If so, that's a belter!

• Like 1

I've seen others using a jewellers eyepiece thingy to check their nozzles (oooer missus) but I've not bothered to buy one...

I guess if I have a problem like yours I may invest... not that I know what to look for of course!

Perhaps I should get one now and look at my nozzles / needles before I mess them up... decisions, decisions.

Get yourself a pair of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-Eye-Glass-Loupe-Jeweler-Magnifier-Magnifying-Watch-Repair-With-LED-Light-UK-/290901164420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bb0f8184

Because the focusing distance is so small they are not much use for model making, but for inspecting nozzles you will be horrified by what you see !!

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-Eye-Glass-Loupe-Jeweler-Magnifier-Magnifying-Watch-Repair-With-LED-Light-UK-/290901164420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bb0f8184

Because the focusing distance is so small they are not much use for model making, but for inspecting nozzles you will be horrified by what you see !!

Done! I'm such a shopper...

The glasses are well worth the money for inspecting work if nothing else, looking through them its amazeing just how much paint residue can build up in the nozzle and how serrated the end can become. i have noticed that the first sign for replacement is with primer and a small blob drops out as soon as you start the flow. it could ruin detail work. i have just accidentally dropped my airbrush on the floor without the air cap on, i managed to rescue the nozzle with a little rub with wet and dry on the end, but I dont think its going to last much longer ..I see you can buy reamers to clean the nozzle , but i dont like the idea, I am sure they could damage them, They seem to become so thin with wear that even when replacing the needle pushing to hard could ruin them.

• Like 1

Kewl!

Got to get one.

Worth it just to freak the kids out!

Rick.

• Like 1

The glasses are well worth the money for inspecting work if nothing else, looking through them its amazeing just how much paint residue can build up in the nozzle and how serrated the end can become.

i have just accidentally dropped my airbrush on the floor without the air cap on, i managed to rescue the nozzle with a little rub with wet and dry on the end, but I dont think its going to last much longer ..I see you can buy reamers to clean the nozzle , but i dont like the idea, I am sure they could damage them, They seem to become so thin with wear that even when replacing the needle pushing to hard could ruin them.

Mine arrived yesterday (SWMBO has Amazon prime so I got these). And they MAKE THINGS REALLY BIG once you get them adjusted (by moving the lenses until you see a single image, of course). I've obviously dropped or bashed my .2mm as it was bent, so ditto your comment on checking these things occasionally.

Paul at Modelling Tools / Little Cars is my Guru on this and doesn't recommend reamers as he says they can split the nozzle if you don't take care. Makes sense.

There's a 20 odd minute video from an Iwata guru here on cleaning airbrushes...

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday (SWMBO has Amazon prime so I got these). And they MAKE THINGS REALLY BIG once you get them adjusted (by moving the lenses until you see a single image, of course). I've obviously dropped or bashed my .2mm as it was bent, so ditto your comment on checking these things occasionally.

Paul at Modelling Tools / Little Cars is my Guru on this and doesn't recommend reamers as he says they can split the nozzle if you don't take care. Makes sense.

There's a 20 odd minute video from an Iwata guru here on cleaning airbrushes...

Reamers are a useful tool, but I have a number of customers that have damaged paint nozzles with them, but I also have a lot of customers who use them successfully.

My initial approach is to back flush the H&S nozzle to clear any 'gel'.

Then clean (the nozzle and air cap) with a superfine micro brush an using a 10x magnifier to check the inside of the nozzle.

I does take a few minutes, but isn't to taxing.

Paul

• Like 1

thanks for that. I bought a pair of those at Brighton Scale Model Engineering Show a couple of Saturdays back for £12.50 :weep:

I'm such a prat, why didn't I think " you'll probably get those cheaper online" :banghead:

• Like 1