RAF Gulf War trio - Tonka, Jag and a Buc

I have recently completed a little project that I started at the beginning of the year. I wanted to build the RAF's main players during Op Granby. All in 1/72, a Panavia Tornado GR1, a SEPECAT Jaguar GR1 and a Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S2b.

Thanks for looking. Any questions or comments are very welcome. Links to the individual RFI's can be found at the bottom.

c12e0a4efe337fa1937e77c1addebe9c_zps5fc1

3359fbdd872b046768f40f652f036170_zps34a4

7787ff384b5ba4d3067a44913d39e1fe_zps8880

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975186-revell-172-tornado-gr1-op-granby-debbie/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976630-sepecat-jaguar-gr1-op-granby-italeri-172/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977790-raf-buccaneer-s2b-op-granby-airfix-172/

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 26

An excellent trio of models. Are the decals from a Modeldecals set?

Just looked at your link. Kits-world.

• Like 1

Hi

I was working on a construction site down west wales, not far from one of the ranges, prior to the start of the gulf war and it was a common site to these kind of aircraft flying over but will never forget the buccaneer that flew over. It came in very very fast and very very low, not sure about the minimum flying height but iam guessing the bucc should have been a bit higher.

Don't think they actually flew any low level missions during the war.

Lovely collection of aircraft you've got there, great stuff.

• Like 2

Looking good, did you use humbrol 250? To paint them all?

Ozzy

I used Xtracrylics "Gulf War Pink". The Hindenburg tanks on the Tonka are "Gulf Armour". The paint was quite good. It didn't need much thinning, only about 20%. It dried quickly and had a very tough finish, if you use it make sure you give your tools a good scrub or they'll set rock solid!

Hi

I was working on a construction site down west wales, not far from one of the ranges, prior to the start of the gulf war and it was a common site to these kind of aircraft flying over but will never forget the buccaneer that flew over. It came in very very fast and very very low, not sure about the minimum flying height but iam guessing the bucc should have been a bit higher.

Don't think they actually flew any low level missions during the war.

Lovely collection of aircraft you've got there, great stuff.

I read something about a Buccaneer on exercise in America flying so low that it skimmed the top off of a sand dune. That gained it the nickname "The Bulldozer"! There are some great videos of them on YouTube doing low level stuff over the sea. Don't make em like they used to! Edited by DAG058
  • Like 1

These are brilliant. I love the tornado, my grandad collected the old take off mags just to get the kit which i did a poor job of. but they came with all the articles on the above tornado and bucc in granby, I still have them somewhere!

Also have an amazing memory of a cadet trip to JARIC (?) RAF BRAMPTON (very late 90's). We got a fantastic talk from a gulf tornado pilot who showed us loads of gulf PR Pic's, he also sjowed us video's he took sometimes flying at 25 ft...brilliant.

Congratulations on a great trio

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

These are brilliant. I love the tornado, my grandad collected the old take off mags just to get the kit which i did a poor job of. but they came with all the articles on the above tornado and bucc in granby, I still have them somewhere!

Also have an amazing memory of a cadet trip to JARIC (?) RAF BRAMPTON (very late 90's). We got a fantastic talk from a gulf tornado pilot who showed us loads of gulf PR Pic's, he also sjowed us video's he took sometimes flying at 25 ft...brilliant.

Congratulations on a great trio

Rob

I would recommend Revells Tornado for any Tonka lovers. It was really a nice build. Great detail too.

Can your remember the name of the pilot? I recently picked up Pablo Masons book about the conflict. It was only a few quid on Amazon, it looks like it'll be a good read! I also read Peters and Nichols "Tornado Down" last year, very interesting and part of the inspiration for these models!

Edited by DAG058

I need to find that book I have read about them before but not the book. Unfortunately I cannot remember his name, I am poor with them at best and it was over 15 year ago, I remember him but no name! How annoying!

It was a fantastic talk especially for a kid like me who idolised these guys. We also had a talks from a downed pow pilot who was in a Japanese camp for the war, he had amazing tattoos done in camp using an old Japanese technique very cool and for a para at Arnhem both in sqn and other camps... Very much worth £1 a week even if you take out the guns fired and planes flown!!

Sorry to lead your rif astray. Again love the trio you have done a cracking job!

Rob

I believe the Buc's were used to "spot" the targets for the Tornadoes and their paveway bombs. Their airborne stability is legendary !

As an aside, I hate the fact that many old jets aren't allowed to fly but can only be used in "fast taxiing" demo's. Shame ! Shame I say !!

Edited by Flektor

I believe the Buc's were used to "spot" the targets for the Tornadoes and their paveway bombs. Their airborne stability is legendary !

This is correct. It was the only aircraft the RAF capable of "spiking" targets for laser guided bombs. As the war progressed the Buccaneers started carrying their own Paveways and attacked targets they designated themselves. There was some famous footage at the time of an Antinov AN-12 being turned into scrap metal, this was a successful hit from a Buccaneer.

They truely were awesome aircraft in my opinion. Time for Airfix to tribute them with a new tool model!

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 1