1/350 USS New Jersey, 1956

The model is looking excellent mate. Once you are on a role things tend to go smoothly for a while after earlier set backs.

I have this combo in the stash as wellbut mine will be pure WW2.

Well done Sir! :goodjob:

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! (especially Warren, very much appreciated!)

Just a small update today:

tn_DSCN4482.JPG

Some more PE detail added to the overhang on the "strykers bridge" level

The tower and air defense level is finished ready for painting:

tn_DSCN4483.JPG

The shielded viewports are part of the Flyhawk set, but not mentioned anywhere in the instructions. From reference pictures, it looks like they were positioned as shown :shrug:

tn_DSCN4484.JPG

The underside of the air defense platform - some nice PE detail again, and some improvisation for the supports under the new wings.

Meanwhile, at the back....

tn_DSCN4485.JPG

New extended platforms for the Mk56 directors.

Next bit I've been dreading and relishing in equal measure - the quadrapod mainmast which has to be completely scratchbuilt and probably soldered:

Iowa%2Bmainmast%2B1950s.jpg

(Detail from image of USS Missouri 1954, courtesy of Navsource navsource.org . The mast configuration was the same on both ships)

Al

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

Looks like the anchor has been thrown out on this build...

Yes, for now! I'm using the summer months to indulge my other obsession, 1/32 jets!

I work in an outdoor shed usually, so I can do all the spraying, sanding and puttying that modelling planes involves. In the winter, I have to go indoors (too cold outside) which is why I build ships then. The less messy build process is more acceptable to "the management" ;)

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Greetings. I've been watching this build with great interest ever since coming across it after a session of web prowling. I too am doing a New Jersey in a very similar time frame; post-war roughly during 1946-47 and after the platform was added that bridged the uppermost of the port and starboard triple Bofors AA platforms (those located between the fore and aft funnels).

I'm the bearer of bad news though. The circled part is upside down. The two ovoid openings should be at the deck level (they're pass-throughs/door ways) and the "X" frame should be at the top. The "X" frame was actually plated over most likely during her 1945 refit which photos at Navsource will show. You could cover this area with sheet styrene but I don't know if you can fix any of it without mangling the beautiful PE. :fraidnot:

tn_DSCN4466.jpg

• Like 2

I'm the bearer of bad news though. The circled part is upside down. The two ovoid openings should be at the deck level (they're pass-throughs/door ways) and the "X" frame should be at the top. The "X" frame was actually plated over most likely during her 1945 refit which photos at Navsource will show. You could cover this area with sheet styrene but I don't know if you can fix any of it without mangling the beautiful PE. :fraidnot:

tn_DSCN4466.jpg

Aha! There's always something :banghead: Easily fixed, probably just do as you said.

Thanks very much to everyone else for the encouragement, and for reminding me about this build! Unfortunately I've stopped work on it due to problems with the infernal wood deck, which has started to come up in various places. I'm spending half the time scratching my head about that, while spending the other half pretending it doesn't exist :whistle:

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Now you've got me thinking about it, I reckon I could make a cut with a very fine scalpel blade, and might be able to slide some glue in either side of the cut using the same blade.

The risk is not getting glue on the top surface of the deck. Tricky!

If you like, I can point out other mistakes as I find them... :evil_laugh:

For instance, did you know that New Jersey's 40mm gun tubs atop turrets 2 and 3 lacked the raised wall in the front a la Missouri? The wall was the same height all the way around. :confused:

• Like 1

If you like, I can point out other mistakes as I find them... :evil_laugh:

This is a model. Therefore there ARE no mistakes :tease:

I must get this out again - small matter of :cold: workspace for the moment....

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Same here Allan :cold: , me age seems to be getting in the way on my build to lol.

You have problems!!!!.

What with renewing me Kitchen after 25 years and the work place needing space for storage, it puts the dampers on my work.

Plus relations needing the spare space all adds up to downing tools for a while.

But that's an unusual problem you have there with the wood deck, found its the other way round and sticks were you don't want it to.

As said, lifting and more wood glue, then pressure placed over the deck till dry seems the only answer.

Hope it goes well mate. :guitar:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To all concerned, I'm quoting a friend here only because he said it so succinctly:

"The 4 IOWA class ships were built to a class design, but are not identical.

Due to wartime shortages, steel production, construction design changes,
whatever the case - the superstructures were slightly different from ship to
ship. Decide on the ship you wish to model and then research that ship for
drawings, photos, etc. - One size does NOT fit all."
It sounds profound but the same can be said of their contemporaries such as the King George V and Bismarck-classes.

To all concerned, I'm quoting a friend here only because he said it so succinctly:

"The 4 IOWA class ships were built to a class design, but are not identical.

Due to wartime shortages, steel production, construction design changes,
whatever the case - the superstructures were slightly different from ship to
ship. Decide on the ship you wish to model and then research that ship for
drawings, photos, etc. - One size does NOT fit all."
It sounds profound but the same can be said of their contemporaries such as the King George V and Bismarck-classes.

Yep - that's why I like making ships. You can often produce a unique model.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...