1/350 USS New Jersey, 1956

I've been watching your Yamato (davetwin and Jockster) and Akagi (ComfortablyNumb and Warren) masterclass builds in awe, and thought, "I've got something like that in the loft...!"

tn_DSCN4391.JPG

This was 2011's birthday present and while the sea is drying on the USS Decatur I couldn't watch it sitting there any longer and decided to start!

This kit needs no intro as it's venerable and well-known (plus I reckon at least 75% of the people who frequent the board already have one!) but I'll be building it in an unusual guise and using the Flyhawk Super Deluxe Ultimate Uber-Mega Ultra Detail Set on it!

tn_DSCN4392.JPG

You can probably make out from the picture how much ground this set covers.

Also adding the Scaledecks High-Detail wood deck, for reasons that shall become clear....

tn_DSCN4393.JPG

The Flyhawk set is probably the most intimidating aftermarket accessory I've ever bought.

tn_DSCN4394.JPG

25(!) sheets of PE, resin replacements for just about every piece of equipment, brass barrels and other accessories - it's a monster which will keep me well occupied for a while!

tn_DSCN4395.JPG

Resin and brass parts - I couldn't physically take a picture of all the brass frets, I don't have enough floor space. Nice to see the resin 5" twin turrets, these are notoriously poor fitting in the kit. There are also resin replacements for all the vents, AA directors and even individual oxy-acetylene gas bottles

So.... on with the build!

Al

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 10

Wow - looks like there's a lot of work in there. Good luck with the build Al, I look forward to watching this one progress.

Regards, Ross.

• Like 1

The build begins!

Started with the hull:

tn_DSCN4397.JPG

Removed the downpipe drains (not on the WW2 version) and replaced with drain holes (spigots will be added later when I can't knock them off!) I also added some buttstraps which were visible on some pictures post-refit.

Another advantage of doing the ship in this timeframe is that all the 20mm Oerlikon mounts and shields were removed - one of the most fiddly and repetitive tasks when building WW2 battleships is the endless fabrication of tiny photoetched Oerlikons, so if I can eliminate that task, I'm happy!

tn_DSCN4398.JPG

I still need the gaps in the deck filled, but it's a simple job to remove all the splinter shields and ammo boxes. Thankfully the base part fits the hole very snugly.

This will be a feature of the build in the early stages - trying to cleanly remove most of the raised detail from the decks:

tn_DSCN4399.JPG

All the vents, breakwater, anchor chains and other detail removed without damaging the model or cutting myself - a first for me! :yahoo:

Now, about the wood deck...

tn_DSCN4393.JPG

This deck is VERY thin, light-coloured and almost devoid of cutout detail. For these reasons I bought it, even though the shipping cost from the US was punishing. Only the very basic details of the deck are shown, the rest is solid to enable the extensive use of aftermarket parts, otherwise it would be hell to fill all the little holes left by not using the kit parts. The manufacturer scaledecks.com supplies a corresponding card deck with all the cutouts so you can add any holes you might need. Genius.

Anyway, that's a pretty boring way of saying "I've started", so hopefully the rest will speak for itself! Don't expect a quick build, my track record on these aftermarket jamborees is not conducive to continuous progress!!

Alan

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 6

This will certainly be worth watching!

I finished mine in 2013 (although she's back in for refit at the moment) so seeing that Tamiya box art and various parts still look very familiar indeed.

Ah... I was wondering if anyone else had bought that super-detail set.. I have both of thses items as well but have not decided which way to go as yet.

Good luck and I will be watching closely.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks for the support folks!

Anyone know if there are any manufacturers who make 1/350 USN ship's boats? I've found a Tamiya set for IJN, but no luck on a USN version. Also how about early helicopters in 1/350?

If anyone has any discarded or spare ships' boats from any 1/350 US Navy kits, please let me know!!

Al (the deranged!)

Edited by Brokenedge

Good for you Al, got this and the Flyhawk set in the stash to build many years from now, so going to enjoy watching yours!

Try Veteran Models for the boats, although it may be modern usn boats that they produce!

As the new title reflects, I have settled on a ship and a timeframe for this build. It's a relief to at least know what I'm aiming for at last.

tn_DSCN4417.JPG

More detail removed, this time from the back end. All the Iowas lost their aircraft and catapults before 1950.

Unusual for a quality kit like this - Aztec stairs to be removed:

tn_DSCN4418.JPG

tn_DSCN4419.JPG

Four sets from the 01 Level, and two from the front superstructure.

tn_DSCN4421.JPG

Aztecs no longer in evidence, and the gap filled for the midships 20mm gallery, which was gone by 1956. Also removed the moulded steps in front of Mount 52 and the boat supports. I'm leaving the gaps and scratches as all these surfaces will be covered with PE fascias. Rather shocking that a kit of this price has nothing but blank styrene instead of proper detailed sidewalls.

While the putty was drying...

tn_DSCN4422.JPG

I redid the hull buttstraps to a more realistic pattern.

tn_DSCN4423.JPG

Fore deck completely prepared. I have goofed with filling in the forward deck 40mm tub holes - unlike the other mid-50s Iowas, the Big J did have them as they are clearly present during her 1968 reactivation.

tn_DSCN4424.JPG

The rear deck complete - I left the 40mm tub holes correctly this time!

tn_DSCN4425.JPG

Although the wood deck will cover this area, the deck is so thin that I'm not sure if it will show the holes underneath, so I've had to fill them all... :sleeping:

tn_DSCN4427.JPG

Deck fits very well, with the exception of the infamous joins between the deck pieces themselves.

Last thing achieved today was to start on the other areas that need changing:

tn_DSCN4428.JPG

The platform round the side 5" directors needs the searchlight mounts removing from the aft end, and the platform forward of the director needs to be enlarged for the Mk56 Secondary battery/AA directors that were sited there.

Certainly is a very impressive and large kit - glad I've made a successful start on the conversion so far... :work:

Al

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 5

Paint crisis averted thanks to my Dad - he had a couple of unused tins for a Nimitz I bought him about 7 years ago :thumbsup:

I'm cracking on with the PE before starting to paint anything...

tn_DSCN4429.JPG

Lots more material removal, which is a bit tedious...

Also had to build the interior of the conning tower as the bridge windows will be opened up. Blu-tac shaper with plastic strip frame. Quicker than milliput!

tn_DSCN4430.JPG

Close enough!

Over to the Flyhawk PE:

tn_DSCN4431.JPG

It is absurdly thin! I'm afraid to breathe on it too heavily. This will require a steady hand throughout I think.

tn_DSCN4432.JPG

But at least it is a perfect fit. Fantastic detail. I think those two little squares should be access ladder holes. Such trivia does not appear on the Flyhawk instructions!

tn_DSCN4434.JPG

The side galleries for the Admiral's bridge are so delicate as to be impossible. The screens were not fitted in 1956, but they look so good I had to have them! I think there will be a few extra details on this build for artistic purposes.

One caveat for those attempting this PE set - I've already discovered one goof. Parts Q14 are supposed to be right- and left-handed sides of the bridge charthouse, (the L-shaped boxy structure behind the homebuilt conning tower) but they are both right handed. I cut the top part of the "L" shape off, and transferred it to the other end once the main part was fitted. (sorry, should have taken pics!) The only effect was to change the position of the ladder, but these often-modified battleships weren't that big on symmetry of small fittings half the time.

tn_DSCN4436.JPG

Not really in Tim (ComfortablyNumb)'s league of girder-fitting, but these look very nice under all the overhangs on the kit.

tn_DSCN4435.JPG

The sidewall detail is also very fine. The thinness of the parts means no annealing is necessary to conform round these inside curves. Liking this set a lot. As you can see, I've already crushed one of the tiny screens in my enthusiasm! :doh:

Looks like a very nice but fragile and fiddly PE set so far. Parts are easy to remove with minimal fret attachments, and they are saw-toothed which means a press with a sharp knife and they're off without warping the thin parts at all.

Al

Edited by Brokenedge
  • Like 9