1/48 Airfix Fury

Dave Wilson

Don't know if anyone has had experience of this but on the tailplane there are two sets of supporting struts for each side of the tailplane. The front set are straightforward, two seperate struts with the holes to go into. The rear struts are in one piece and appear on the instructions to go through holes in the fuselage. There aren't any holes and the piece isn't long enough anyway to reach both sides of the tailplane. Is this a known about issue and should I just scratch build the struts?

I built this a couple of years ago and I ditched the struts in favour of something scratchbuilt. The kit struts are pretty horrible and by the time you've cleaned them up you may as well make your own. I used some fine brass tubing I had in the drawer but stretched sprue sanded to the right profile would be a good option. Good luck with the build, it's a handful to knock into shape but does come out looking the part with some effort.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Dave, sounds like you have a newer mould of the kit, it hasn't fared well over the years. Take a look at a comparison shot I took for my Nimrod conversion, the silver plastic is an older kit and the pale grey one of the recent kits, the difference is obvious:

DSC_0060_zpspibmfrn_edit_1420881725073_z

That's nasty. As the disappearance of the small metal blocks in the moulds on both sides can hardly be down to wear or an accident, I wonder why they were removed. Possibly someone noticed the mould neeed some care and update (the "slotted in" struts can hardly have been an ideal solution, fitwise), but the process was abandoned ?

Fabric areas of the cockpit wall ought to be a sort of brick red glazed with buff (iron oxide dope showing through unbleached linen).

Personally. I think a medium grey most likely for metal panels in the cockpit walls, but late production or refurbished machines could have had the grey-green.

Frame elements should be black, and stringers varnished wood.

No idea about inside the cowling panels.

Not wishing to hijack your thread at all but here's a shot of the version that I built a little while ago. You can see what I did with the struts under the tailplane with fine brass rod and I used Alclad Polished Chrome for the NMF panels. From memory, the exhaust stubs were horrible, malformed little blobs of plastic so I just did away with them completely. Hope this helps a little.

DSC_3155.jpg

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 4

I'm liking that a lot Roger, very nice colour scheme. I have my brass rod at the ready. Did you glue the cowling down or is it removable? Looks a very neat join if it is.

Blimey it's a while ago so I don't remember exactly what parts went where. The cowling isn't removable and is one of the areas where the kit needs a lot of filler, sanding and general effort to get it to fit. There's nothing to see inside the engine bay anyway, unless you want to scratch an engine. I don't remember what the kit decals were like but they weren't the scheme I wanted anyway so I had some masks made. You can make a fine model from the kit but the moulds really are showing their age pretty badly - I'd love a new tool version. In fact any new-tool 1/48 pre-war RAF aeroplanes would be great!

Cheers,

Roger

Now you mention it there may have been an engine but I was never going to finish the model with panels open so I just didn't bother with it. It would actually make a fascinating little diorama if you've a mind to super detail it.