Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2 from GWH 1/144

Hello all,

This is my first build here on Britmodeller so I wanted to introduce myself a little bit.

My name is Marek, I live in Wroclaw, Poland, my favourite aviation periods are two golden ones: Inter-war and Post-war (incl. Cold War). :)

OK, I said Cold War and I am writing at Britmodeller site. So Vulcan is one of the names which immediately comes to my mind.

I know there is already a lot Vulcan models built & shown here, I will try to do it a bit differently.

Why 1/144th scale? The kits are simply smaller and building a "collection" sounds a bit more realistic than in 1/48th or 1/32nd scale. ;)

Also, small things seem more intricate to me.

The main impulse for me to get this kit was brilliant decal set from Fundekals. It contains markings for a few early all-white Vulcans which can be indentified on photos.

One of those is XH556 without the refueling probe powered with Olympus 201 engines.

Vulcan_16.jpg

Source: The Internet

To make this model tad more interesting I sat with the Illustrator, some books and a couple of photo-walkarounds and this was born:

Vulcan_2.jpgVulcan_3.jpg

In one of the Vulcan books I have found a photo of all-white Vulcan standing on the ground with all brakes deployed. Here is a whole bunch of them:

Vulcan_11.jpg

The air-brakes bays:

Vulcan_12.jpgVulcan_13.jpg

Apart from the air brakes I decided to pimp-up the main landing gear...

Vulcan_8a.jpg

... and its bay doors:

Vulcan_4.jpg

Vulcan_10.jpg

Front wheel bay also got some treatment:

Vulcan_5.jpg

Vulcan_19.jpg

Vulcan_20.jpg

Checking up robvulcan's threads I decided to decrease the size of the air intake fences:

Vulcan_21.jpg

Staying on the bow of the kit some more PE parts were added: smaller and relocated oval cooling gills plus bases of pitot probes (?) at rear (the kit's gills filled with CA glue are still visible).

The bombardier window gained some depth as well.

Vulcan_22.jpg

Now, I moved to the rear:

Vulcan_17.jpg

Because one of the NACA inlets is located just on the joint of the fuselage I decided to make them as PE parts. They are a bit smaller than in a kit (closer to the real thing) and are flush-mounted. I also scribed some more panel lines.

Vulcan_23.jpg

It was a bit hard to hollow the big ECM bay scoop provided by PitRoad/GWH so again the PE part was made. It is not glued yet as the area needs some more work.

The outboard engine nozzles have been skewed a bit outside to represent quite unique Olympus 201 setup.

Vulcan_24.jpg

TBC. (hopefully I did not bored you too much with such lengthy post ;))

Regards, Marek

• Like 5

Very nice. Is this the same person of Kamfgrupe144 per chance. Your etch is fantastic. Really adds a hell of alot to the model. Only thing to watch with the Fundekals sheet is the nose roundels are too small, They should be 54" inch roundels.

Will watch with interest.

Rob :)

Thanks!

Is this the same person of Kamfgrupe144 per chance.

Yep. :) I thought I might gain a bit more input here - I noticed that some forum members have plenty of knowledge related to RAF planes from Cold war era.

Thank you for the info about the roundels - I will check it on their decal-sheet.

Regards, Marek

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yep. :) I thought I might gain a bit more input here - I noticed that some forum members have plenty of knowledge related to RAF planes from Cold war era.

Thank you for the info about the roundels - I will check it on their decal-sheet.

Regards, Marek

Ah thought so mate. I replied to you on there the other day. I have not logged on for ages. Yep there are lots of people on here who can help you and its a friendly fun community so welcome to it. I particularly love what the etch has done for the wheel bays and doors it adds a lot to the kit.

You may want to re-profile the nose too as there is an unusual raised area molded to the top of the nose giving it a weird bulge rather than the slender gradual taper it should be.

Also the intake splitter plates ( c shape protrusion between the fuselage and intakes is much to long and needs reducing.) If that helps.

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Thank you Rob. I will check the nose profile, the intake splitter plates (I called them fences) are already re-done.

Regards, Marek

Yep I can see you done them now. Fences is a good name for them I am not sure what they are called.

Hi Marek,

Great start to the build...fantastic air brakes!

The intake splitter plates were a boundary layer air control (if I've read the posts correctly) and we did indeed call them fences. They helped prevent the boundary layer from creeping into the intakes and disrupting airflow in the intakes themselves. There were two small outlets on the underside of the fuselage, one under each mainplane if my memory serves me correctly, where this boundary layer air was vented. Anyway, we called them boundary layer air fences. You're doing a great job with all that PE, especially in that scale! Even though I spent my whole RAF career working on them, I've never built one for fear of not being able to do the aircraft justice - its not stopped me from reading all the great Vulcan builds on here mind...like Robs and yours. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi Marek,

Great start to the build...fantastic air brakes!

The intake splitter plates were a boundary layer air control (if I've read the posts correctly) and we did indeed call them fences. They helped prevent the boundary layer from creeping into the intakes and disrupting airflow in the intakes themselves. There were two small outlets on the underside of the fuselage, one under each mainplane if my memory serves me correctly, where this boundary layer air was vented. Anyway, we called them boundary layer air fences. You're doing a great job with all that PE, especially in that scale! Even though I spent my whole RAF career working on them, I've never built one for fear of not being able to do the aircraft justice - its not stopped me from reading all the great Vulcan builds on here mind...like Robs and yours. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, that makes sense as to why the B1 had boundary layer bleed slots/ducts on the inside of the intakes. It's all this information on the little bits and pieces that make up the aircraft that's hard to find. Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

There were two small outlets on the underside of the fuselage, one under each mainplane if my memory serves me correctly, where this boundary layer air was vented.

Thank you for the info - are you talking about this one maybe?

Vulcan_25.jpg

Regards, Marek

Guys what can I say apart from "isn't the Internet wonderful". To see you guys connecting over a common interest, nay infatuation, is inspiring.

If the whole world worked like this it'd be a better place (or perhaps I should just stop listening to the news. And drinking wine).

Thanks for letting me look in on this amazing work. I must try harder.

• Like 2

Guys what can I say apart from "isn't the Internet wonderful". To see you guys connecting over a common interest, nay infatuation, is inspiring.

If the whole world worked like this it'd be a better place (or perhaps I should just stop listening to the news. And drinking wine).

Thanks for letting me look in on this amazing work. I must try harder.

Nothing like getting high on the nice fact that we all here managed to escape the conformity of being "normal" by having a drink getting merry and enjoying a bit of the old "Plastic crack" addiction.

I will be joining you myself shortly with a rum and coke.

The etch there is looking lovely.

• Like 1

Marek,

The outlets I'm talking about were in front of the air brakes, I think. I'm trying to remember back to 1971 now so I could be wrong. :unsure: But I think the outlets were forward of each underwing airbrake, just a bit further back than the rear of the nosewheel bay - in that sort of area. :blush:

• 1 month later...