RCAF F-84F Thunderjet...wait, wuh?

ANovaScotian

So this was posted to the RCAF Facebook page today:

"Today in aviation history

March 3, 1965 – RCAF Flight Lieutenant Kenneth Abraham Harvey, while flying an F-84F Thunderjet to Edmonton, Alberta, finds his engine vibrating. At length the engine fails. Rather than bail out and leave the aircraft to crash in a populated area, he carries out a safe landing. For this action he is awarded the Air Force Cross."

Assuming this is true, has anyone heard about this before? If so, please share any additional information and/or pictures.

Regards,

ANS

Edited by ANovaScotian

Interesting.. I had never heard of this - a quick Google search only confirms the information based on this item from 1966 from The London Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/44123/supplement/10479/data.pdf

Cheers,

Dave

That London Gazette article is about the only other direct reference I could find as well.

This keeps getting stranger the more you look into it. Technically the F-84F was the Thunderstreak not the Thunderjet, so I don't know what's going on there. The Thunderstreaks in USAF service were removed from active service in 1964. US Air National Guard used F-84s and RF-84 Thunderflash into the early 1970s.

I'd like to dismiss this as a typo (I've had to correct the RCAF on the amount of guns on a P-40) as it seems pretty easy to type F-84 instead of F-86 (the Sabre, which you all know we did use), however, if it was that simple it would probably read "F-84 Sabre." Seeing as how they outright say Thunderjet it must be true.

Foresterab has confirmed that there were indeed F-84s present in Edmonton around the right time. Now all we need is a list with serial numbers, or a picture of one of the planes in question...

Are anyone else's modelling juices flowing? :hmmm:

ANS

from this;

http://rcafassociation.ca/uploads/airforce/2009/07/postwardec.html;

HARVEY, Flight Lieutenant Kenneth Abraham, CD (237260) - Air Force Cross - Station Namao - Awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 30 July 1966 and AFRO dated 29 July 1966 for courage when he refused to bale out of crippled jet fighter near Edmonton, 3 March 1965. See Flight Comment, September/October 1966. This award is thoroughly documented in Secretary of State papers (RG.6 D.1 Volume 359, file 114-2-A1-3 "Awards - Specific - Air Force Cross (Granted)". On 18 February 1966 the recommendation (citation below) was sent by letter of Air Commodore G.F. Jacobsen to Mr.J.Miquelon (Chairman, Decorations Committee, Secretary of State), 14 March 1966. On 24 May 1966 he writes that the Decorations Committee had met on 11 May 1966 and concurred in awards for Campbell and Harvey. Based on affidavit sworn 25 August 1965 by Flying Officer L.J. Smyth. On 3 March he had been DATCO [Duty Air Traffic Control Officer ?] at Namao. He reported that at time of emergency, Runway 11 was active so Runway 29 cleared for straight-in approach. When engine quit five miles out, heavy black smoke visible. After landing the F-84F rolled 10,000 feet and turned off on the high-speed cut off. F/L Harvey then climbed out and walked to rear of aircraft which was still smoking from tailpipe. Affidavit also sworn by Corporal D.J. Bray on 12 August 1965 who confirms the above.

On 3 March 1965, Flight Lieutenant Harvey was returning for a landing after completing a successful acceptance flight in an F-84F aircraft. When approximately ten miles from his base he experienced severe engine vibrations accompanied by loud banging. An emergency was declared and arrangements made for a downwind emergency landing. Approximately five miles from base and over a densely populated area, the vibrations and banging increased; then the engine failed completely. Rather than abandon the aircraft, which he could have been fully justified in doing, where there was the distinct possibility of the aircraft crashing into the populated area and causing untold damage to property and possible loss of life, Flight Lieutenant Harvey elected to remain with the aircraft to attempt an engine-out landing. With the aircraft operating on emergency hydraulics, Flight Lieutenant Harvey continued his approach to base and successfully manoeuvred the aircraft to a safe landing. By his courage and devotion to duty, Flight Lieutenant Harvey, by remaining with the aircraft, not only protected the lives and property of innocent people, but also prevented the loss of a costly aircraft.

• Like 1

I don't think that this would have been quite so clearly a Canadian officer on exchange.

The Gazette is quite specific that the event occured near Edmonton, whilst the aircraft was on an acceptance check. Such a check is only carried out on delivery of an aircraft from manufacture, or major maintenance.

Note, too, that the witnesses also hold ranks within the Commonwealth airforces structure, rather than the USAF structure that would be the case if this pilot were on exchange.

We have a Canadian pilot, operating a newly delivered aircraft in Canadian airspace deadsticking an aircraft into a Canadian airfield with Canadian witnesses.

The above says to me that this F-84F was, if not a RCAF machine, then at least being evaluated by that airforce.

I'm going to have to try to find out more about this intriguing history.

Edited by Kit builder

intriguing indeed first l heard of it. Going to have to look this up in my references too. l know l was surprised to learn that the RCAF had used of T7 Meteors while station in the UK and had RCAF markings on them so this may not be a surprise. As one said it could have been a jet being used to evaluate the type for RCAF use back then

Would Canadian personnel be responsible for evaluating refurbished USAF aircraft if the refurbishment occurred in Canada (e.g. at Northwest Industries)?

• Like 1

l was just about to say that. According to what l can find out myself looking through the ton of stuff l have RCAF personal working with Northwest Industries (NWI) Limited in Edmonton. They were refurbishing the USAF F-84F and the RCAF pilots were to evaluate the aircraft for flight recertification. Seems this particular chap got one that the engine was already on its way out but he managed to land it without bailing out. Good man!

• Like 1

The RCAF had a number of engineers and pilots attached to North West Industries which was located at Edmonton City Airport. RCAF Station Namao is about 8 miles north of CYXD and there was very little build up in '65. The RCAF pilots test flew the jets, including USAF machines that were being overhauled by NWI. The RCAF was not interested in the Thunderpig which was really not much of an aircraft.

Did you guys know that a number of RAF aircraft were also based at Namao with RAF crews? I worked in Namao Tower during the late '50s and saw some interesting birds including a few all white V-types transiting to the south Pacific, We also had a lot of USAF aircraft through Namao enroute to Alaska with more than our share of bend tin.

Barney RCAF F/L retired

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not to dreg up a topic from the past, but the full story from Flight Comment. The aircraft is a F-84F and I'm shocked how calm he looks after the incident. Northwest Industries upgraded both RF-84Fs and F-84Fs that ended up with the U.S. Air National Guard. It is interesting that some of the RF-84s were returned to Canada from Taiwan.

Jim

Harvey_zpsaos0lxgl.jpg

Edited by airjiml2