Dragon 1/72 Tiger 1 - Late Production w/Zimmerit + Tiger Aces - Finished - photos in the Gallery and RFI section

Yesterday I managed to get all the camouflage painted, using a stippling brush

16235859563_d8da8f55bc_c.jpg

Stix

Hi Stix,

I have just been having another read through your fantastic builds and I noticed that you use a stippling brush for the camouflage. I'm still undecided about adding the camouflage to my 1/48 captured KV-1 but I thought that this technique would make up for my shortcomings with an airbrush. I was wondering if you would tell me the make and size of the stippling brush that you use.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Nimrod - the stippling brushes I use are home made. Basically, when one of my brushes starts to become unusable for normal painting - i.e. the bristles are mostly pointing in different directions! - I use a knife or scissors to cut it short.

This technique of painting mostly works best with soft bristle brushes. I use normal acrylic paints such as Humbrol or Revell and thin them with quite a lot of water. I then stipple the paint onto the surface. The slight spread of the bristles as they are pushed gently into the surface creates a softer, random edge. I basically build up the paint until I get the effect I think it should be. This technique gives a bit of a mottled effect too which I think works quite well for worn German camouflage.

This is the brush I used for this Tiger 1 and the King Tiger I made before - it's a cut down Italeri brush no.0:

16863052262_eac9c67bbd_c.jpg

My current selection:

16656919367_6129c43f29_c.jpg

............and what a motley collection they are! But they do the job.

Hope this is of some use.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thanks Stix, I'm sure I have a couple of candidates in need of a haircut. I will practice the technique on some scrap plastic before deciding on whether to use it on the model. That said I am quite keen to give it a go and I guess from your description of the technique that several thin layers are the key to keeping the edge soft.

Cheers again.

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, I'm sure I have a couple of candidates in need of a haircut. I will practice the technique on some scrap plastic before deciding on whether to use it on the model. That said I am quite keen to give it a go and I guess from your description of the technique that several thin layers are the key to keeping the edge soft.

Cheers again.

Hi Nimrod. No problem. Hope it works well for you. I would practice on some spare stuff first - it's what I did - just to see how the paint goes on. I found different brushes can give a different effects - some better than others.

You have taken a simple technique, mastered it and made it your own.....Hail Stix king of the stipplers! :thumbsup:

Thank you Sarge - you are very kind as always.

Kind regards,

Stix

Similar post to the one in my King Tiger thread:

Right I have finally got around to completing one of the bases. I decided to do a joint base for this Tiger 1 and the King Tiger. I'll post a few photos here, a few in the King Tiger Thread, edit a couple in the Gallery and post more in the RFI section.

This is how the base started:

18010997826_7dd0ded06d_c.jpg

17416932333_04b47202c8_c.jpg

And this is how the Tiger 1 looks in place:

17491219084_156f44b808_c.jpg

17493240763_e6ec665ec5_c.jpg

17927596629_748252ed61_c.jpg

17493240783_1c4b5d78b4_c.jpg

18110362752_2236a67cfd_c.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Cheers, you're very kind!

Thats looking brilliant, especially in this scale :thumbsup:

Thank you Bernd. I think a lot of it is down to how great these kits are! They're a real pleasure to build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1