Dragon 1/72 Tiger 1 - Late Production w/Zimmerit + Tiger Aces - Finished - photos in the Gallery and RFI section

Right - I am now getting a bit carried away (or I ought to be!). Now that my 1/72 Dragon King Tiger is nearing completion it's back at home where I can do the remaining work on it, decals etc., but only at weekends. Having done a quick check through the list of builds in this GB I realised, if I'm not mistaken, that no-one is making a 1/72 Tiger 1. I'm making a Tiger 1 in 1/48 and DaveJL is building one in 1/35. Then, a couple of weeks ago, while in Birmingham, I was in the Ian Allen bookshop where I noticed this:
16706718842_a230b8ee9c_c.jpg
.......and it was reduced!

So this will be my next weekday build and this GB will have Tiger 1s in three scales. I'm thinking I might make it as part of a small diorama alongside the King Tiger. Not sure of the setting yet.

I hope to get this started tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Reduced Dragon AFV kits on sale are hard to be resist, a great kit. Most if not all Dragon 1/72 kis are one my "want" list. Happy modelling with this one.

The prices for these 1/72 are maybe high but you have everything in the box for a decent detailed build. Buying a Revell Tiger, the Zimmerit pe set from Part, a new and better gunn barrel and more pe for the engine grilles cost the same or more than a Dragon kit.

Enjoy this one :-)

• Like 1

Thank you Bernd. Yes I have been impressed with the Dragon kits I've built - you're right they are a little expensive but you do get a lot of stuff, including spares, in the box.

I'll try and post some photos of the sprues later. I'm on a bus on my way to work at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Oh gawd, he's at it again! :-)

Another one to follow and enjoy.

Regards

Steve

Sorry Steve!! I just love making these tanks!

Time for some photos of the sprues:

16707211651_7921d12896_c.jpg

16501250117_9280892243_c.jpg

16707245231_30a571be36_c.jpg

16708527475_0b6e636f65_c.jpg

16707241001_bc1d4d4c94_c.jpg

16707237851_fe950d1d4f_c.jpg

16522404949_836164d12f_c.jpg

Instructions:

16522403059_fe8fa5c02c_c.jpg

16501231947_4924b9b6c5_c.jpg

16682584606_6a000d2f90_c.jpg

And the Aces:

16708507905_df98639c32_c.jpg

16522389769_d8e943017a_c.jpg

I think this looks like it should be fun!

I hope to get this underway later today.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Thank you Bernd and Steve.

I managed to get a bit of time on this today. First I got the front and rear sections glued onto the upper hull:

16096326923_fc8d123a2c_c.jpg

The fit of the front section is good.

However, to get the rear section to fit right I had to sit the upper hull on the lower hull. If I had relied on the alignment from the back of the upper hull it would not have fitted well into the back of the lower hull. Dragon's instructions would have you rely on it just being glued to the upper hull first:

16530149369_ee3f72fb63_c.jpg

While they were drying I got the base coat of paint on the lower hull - Humbrol's Desert Yellow, thinned with water and applied as usual with a flat brush:

16528849650_749f661a39_c.jpg

Then I got the wheels painted with the same colour:

16715207112_f2635d290e_c.jpg

16528852000_1d75158e8d_c.jpg

And finally a quick test fit to see how the upper and lower hulls fit together:

16716272505_0e1bed060f_c.jpg

The fit generally is not too bad but I can see where I'm going to need a bit of filler in a couple of places. I've just noticed in the last photo that the front looks a little high but it does actually sit better than that when held in place. I think it may have moved as I handled it to take the photo.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thats a great start, the usual flawless paint job. Many modellers didn t like molded on tools on these small scale kits but they will be look fine after a careful paint job. Dragon did a good job with this.

Comparing the molded on Dragon tools on the M4A1 with the Trumpeter effort on their M4 is a difference like day and night.

• Like 1

Thank you Bernd for your very kind comments. You are right about the details on these Dragon kits - they do seem very finely done.

Today I have managed to start the weathering on the wheels and hull. As usual I used a wash of Revell's Gunship Grey followed by a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite. I then dry-brushed everything with a lightened version of Humbrol's Desert Yellow.

The wheels:

16723617772_9419467e4d_c.jpg

16104740203_1466ed87e0_c.jpg

The hull:

16724690745_8f3207098f_c.jpg

Next, possibly tomorrow, I need to finish off some more bits of weathering on these and paint the rims before, hopefully, fitting the wheels onto the hull.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

The details have really popped out, after the weathering. Looks very good.

I prefer the steel wheeled versions because they are much easier to paint, like the ones with the rubber rimmed wheels.

My "sin" came today, a Dragon Panther Ausf.G in 1/35 with all the needed goodies in and molded on Zimmerit, a bargain but deafening expensive.

Have a nice evening

Bernd

• Like 2

The details have really popped out, after the weathering. Looks very good.

I prefer the steel wheeled versions because they are much easier to paint, like the ones with the rubber rimmed wheels.

My "sin" came today, a Dragon Panther Ausf.G in 1/35 with all the needed goodies in and molded on Zimmerit, a bargain but deafening expensive.

Have a nice evening

Bernd

Thank you Bernd. Yes the rubber rimmed ones do take more effort!

Now I like the sound of your Ausf.G. I have just looked at a few photos online and it looks amazing. Hopefully you'll do a WIP for it?

Hope you have a good evening too.

Looking good!

The Revell Anthracite really makes the details pop!

Regards,

Steve

Thank you Steve. I must admit I like Revell's Anthracite for a range of uses. Used as a thin wash it does pull out the detail quite well. You have to keep an eye on it though as it's drying to try and avoid too many tide marks - although in some cases they add quite an interesting effect.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Thank you Steve and 06/24.

I have been so impressed by these 1/72 Dragon kits and, to be fair, Airfix's new tool 1/76 Crowmell that I built a bit ago.

Kind regards,

Stix

Yes, I can see these would be a fun build, and I like the inclusion of figures. I built a few PSC shermans a while back, never quite got round to finishing them, but they were an eye opener of the possibilities of small scale armour.

• Like 1

There will be a long running WIP in the future, the parts look simply great. The waffle pattern Zimmerit is outstanding, its petite and uneven molded on.

The moment of opening the first time the box, was breathtaking.

• Like 1

Yes, I can see these would be a fun build, and I like the inclusion of figures. I built a few PSC shermans a while back, never quite got round to finishing them, but they were an eye opener of the possibilities of small scale armour.

These are so well detailed they do look good when finished and they seem to appear to be of a larger scale in the photos.

will be watching :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::goodjob:

Glad to hear it Mick and thank you!

There will be a long running WIP in the future, the parts look simply great. The waffle pattern Zimmerit is outstanding, its petite and uneven molded on.

The moment of opening the first time the box, was breathtaking.

You are now making me really envious! Seriously envious!!

Stood looking at this in my LMS at lunchtime, before deciding not to add to the stash, but oh so tempting.

I looked at the kit Bernd's making currently when I was in a model shop a couple of weeks ago and didn't buy it but I wish I had now! It was on sale too!!

First job today was to get a little bit more weathering done on the wheels and the rims painted with Humbrol's Gunmetal. Then it was a case of getting them all assembled onto the lower hull. The fit for the most part was fairly good although the second and third rows were supposed to be fixed on using a small plug which fits inside the the axle of the inner-most wheel. I found this method way too fiddly to fit and way too tight to go on the axle. So I ended up managing without it and just relying on a bit of extra glue and the location hole on the inside of the third row wheel. I think it works okay and should be fine once the glue has set. You can judge the appearance from the photos below:

16527252347_3f4821564a_c.jpg

16733444062_c861a14a6d_c.jpg

16547109650_d9b913be2f_c.jpg

16546977478_4c4e35c37c_c.jpg

And that's it on this one until next week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Great progress, you have captured the worn metallic look of the wheels and guiding teeths very well.

Currently, some of the 1/72 Dragon kits are hard to find or very expensive. My favorite kits, the Tiger II with Zimmerit (Porscheturm) and the Firefly are really hard to get. If you find them on sale go for it.

The new tanks from Zvezda in 1/72 can be a very good alternative, before it gets too expensive.

• Like 1

I looked at the kit Bernd's making currently when I was in a model shop a couple of weeks ago and didn't buy it but I wish I had now! It was on sale too!!

I have the will power of an amoeba - went back today and got the Tiger, and some PSC 6 pounders to shoot at it!

• Like 1

Stix, can I ask about the paint, it looks like you are eschewing a primer coat and going straight to the plastic. Do you have any coverage issues, and do you use multiple thin coats?

(The autocorrect on my tablet wants to replace Stix with Stud, make of that what you will!)

• Like 1