1/8 Citroen Traction Avant - revisited

Wow, this looks amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I nearly bought one of these kits a few years ago from my LMS but baulked at the retail cost, however I have a soft spot for the Citroen marque and I am another follower of this thread who has taken the plunge and bought a kit for a much much better price.

Wow, this looks amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I nearly bought one of these kits a few years ago from my LMS but baulked at the retail cost, however I have a soft spot for the Citroen marque and I am another follower of this thread who has taken the plunge and bought a kit for a much much better price.

Did you win a recent eBay auction? I was tempted too but I've got enough builds on the go at the moment. Maybe next time.....

Did you win a recent eBay auction? I was tempted too but I've got enough builds on the go at the moment. Maybe next time.....

I did :yahoo: I also have the 1/16 Citroen DS19 and I believe that is a challenge to build.

I'm more into aircraft though but my soft spot for Citroen comes from dad having a garage with a Citroen franchise from the late 60's to late 80's. I drove a 4 cylinder Light 15 back in the early 80's, I seem to remember how well it handled for such an old design but how the car lacked performance compared to modern (then) cars.

Well done that man....

Get the box open and start another thread.

It will be great to see another one on the go.

Roy.

Roy, I would love to, time isn't on my side just at the moment though. I am really enjoying your build and the construction comments are a godsend. Thank you for your efforts.

Andrew

I am really enjoying your build and the construction comments are a godsend. Thank you for your efforts.

Andrew

Many thanks.

I am actually compiling a HUGE build log - currently running at 29 pages and 400+ annotated pictures.

I'm estimating about 60 pages and 1000+ pictures when finished.

The aim is to produce a CD/DVD that is along the lines of the Pocher build DVD's.

There will be more info in that regard as my build gets nearer to completion.

I'm only posting a fragment of what I'm doing here, as this is a modelling forum - not a lecture theatre...

Glad my waffle is helping, and is of interest.

Roy.

• Like 2

I did :yahoo: I also have the 1/16 Citroen DS19 and I believe that is a challenge to build.

I'm more into aircraft though but my soft spot for Citroen comes from dad having a garage with a Citroen franchise from the late 60's to late 80's. I drove a 4 cylinder Light 15 back in the early 80's, I seem to remember how well it handled for such an old design but how the car lacked performance compared to modern (then) cars.

I too have a soft spot for Citroens having owned 2, a Visa GT in the late 70's and a BX 17 RD in the mid 80's which ended up costing me a fortune in repairs :( Despite that I still liked the car, superb motorway cruiser.

The DS19 was very advanced and remember seeing one as a small boy circa 1955 while on holiday in France and being suitably gobsmacked by its futuristic lines. I thought there was something wrong with it as it was parked up with the hydro-pneumatic suspension lowered. The owner then appeared and proudly demonstrated how the car could be raised and lowered to suit different conditions. Impressive :)

I have the Heller 1/16 DS19 on my shopping list and dream about a 1/8 version.

I have the Heller 1/16 DS19 on my shopping list and dream about a 1/8 version.

There already IS a 1/8 version....

OK - It's the DS 21...

If you don't mind paying around £800.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.altaya.fr/coleccionable/citroen-ds-21.html&prev=search

Roy.

It's an Altaya Partwork that started some time ago, but you can still subscribe...

Edited by roymattblack

There already IS a 1/8 version....

OK - It's the DS 21...

If you don't mind paying around £800.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.altaya.fr/coleccionable/citroen-ds-21.html&prev=search

Roy.

It's an Altaya Partwork that started some time ago, but you can still subscribe...

Thanks for the link. Some very impressive there and so so tempting but sadly out of my price range :(

I've done a lot on the interior over the past 4-5 days....

Floor now all carpeted, front seats built and covered in leather, rear seats - likewise.

None of the interior is fitted at this stage though.

For anyone just 'looking in' on this build - the reason some pictures have text on them is because they are going into a HUGE annotated build diary eventually.

Currently running at 445 pictures and 30 pages......

BTW..... The carpet isn't pink!

It's a dark rose red that looks pink in the photo's.

Also - the leather edge in the pictures looks quite 'white'.

Again, it's the camera flash doing that.

In reality, it isn't there at all.

Roy.

32_zpsjfb5n1il.jpg

30_zpssprasyal.jpg

16_zpsdck8limn.jpg

36_zpsz6ikknvp.jpg

37_zpsspfmgbp1.jpg

16_zpssmfymai2.jpg

17_zpscxmpmswf.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I've fitted the dreaded headlining and front and rear screens.

The headlining wasn't too bad actually - I fitted it using 'Mammoth' tape instead of glue.

The pics have text on them as I've already mentioned, they are part of a mega-build diary I'm compiling.

Now up to 38 pages close to 500 annotated pics.

Roy.

3_zps4q2exvs3.jpg

8_zpsss0hyyye.jpg

9_zpsvvypkdua.jpg

11_zpsbpqkozss.jpg

2_zpsivf2tqy6.jpg

5_zpsw5yt1umi.jpg

8_zpsdepi4xc5.jpg

10_zpsrogtuvkg.jpg

11_zpss7tmrtu0.jpg

23_zpse5rzp6dt.jpg

28_zps7ip4ige3.jpg

29_zpswgle1six.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Superb, as always Roy. I love the two tone paintwork, and the headlining looks fantastic. I think one of the critical things on the headlining would be not too get too carried away with the scissors as is so easily done on some vac form parts! Seeing yours in situ makes it look a breeze.

This thread is certainly building me up to start mine, and the two tone finish has made me think again about the colour of mine. I was going for Midnight Blue overall, but not so sure now. You always have a good choice of colours on your builds, damn you!!

Keep up the excellent work.

Larry.

i realy find that plastic roof ugly as hell, with some verry thin felt and a sewingmachine u can get so much better results.

I Sew it about every 2 cm

9297789592_481e941a98_b.jpgP7130649.jpg by Mark Nijenhuis, on Flickr

And with a little spray adhesive u can place i quit nice.

9295131587_97b033e1a6_b.jpgP7140662.jpg by Mark Nijenhuis, on Flickr

For the window i made a template from cardboard and cover it with the same felt and glue it in place.

9314932783_7229271bac_b.jpgP7160699.jpg by Mark Nijenhuis, on Flickr

9363082688_23aa4588b4_b.jpgP7180708.jpg by Mark Nijenhuis, on Flickr

9363141014_30caf7eb5b_b.jpgP7230716.jpg by Mark Nijenhuis, on Flickr

(if u don't like the pics remove them)

A nice looking headlining there.

I did consider making one in fabric but thought that I'd give the kit part a try.

As it's a satin finish, and it has all the correct 'ribs' across it, it actually looks fine when it's in, and matches the real car headlining very well.

I think the trouble most people have with the kit part is that they try to glue it and it's a big, floppy part.

Invariably it ends up a mess.

Also, the kit part is the correct 'shape' whereas a fabric one is never going to 'sit' quite right, and looks too 'flat' - yours does look good though.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

A fairly big update here, as It's about fitting the body which most builders of this kit panic about and invariably end up with gaps around the firewall.

There's a description, and a 'photoguide' so hopefully it will be of use to other Avant builders.

FITTING THE BODY TO THE CHASSIS

This is very probably one of the most daunting aspects of the whole build but is actually very straightforward and simple as the Parts fit extremely well.

Sit the chassis/floor of the car on a flat level surface such as a table, with the front suspension hanging off the edge so as to put no undue pressure on any of the Parts.

Lift the body over the chassis with the front end angled down.

Gently splay the lower body out by no more than 5-10mm and feed the front end over the firewall so that the two outer front panels go below the upper suspension cradle.

Keeping the lower body splayed out, drop it over the firewall completely and lower it down so that the bottom of the sills clip neatly underneath the floor.

Turn the entire car upside down and make sure the rear boot (trunk) floor is sitting correctly up inside the rear inner panels.
The boot/trunk floor panel may be fractionally wide, preventing the Part from going in properly.

Do not remove the whole body to adjust.

Lay the car – roof down – on a soft surface such as cushions or a bed, and ease the rear floor panel up and out of the car body.
The panel is quite thin and very flexible. There is very little chance you could break it.

Using a pair of sharp scissors, trim away sufficient plastic from the floor panel where it is fouling the body.
Ease the floor panel back in place.

From inside the boot/trunk, tape the floor panels together where they meet.
Turn the car upside down and apply a bead of glue along the join.

Apply further beads of glue along the joins between the rear floor panels and the car inner panels.

Let these glue joins dry before gluing any further.

Apply glue to the front inner body panels where they meet the engine bay walls.
Use clamps to hold these Parts together until the glue dries.
If you have trimmed the inner foot well and firewall panels to fit – as explained in the early stages of the engine bay build – you should have no gaps around the engine bay.

When all of the above glue joins have set, apply a bead of glue along the upper edges where the floor and sills meet.
Do this by gently pulling the sill sideways, away from the floor, applying adhesive, and letting the sill return.
You should clamp the Parts together to keep them tight while the glue dries although the body and floor fit together very well as these points.

Body fitted - no gaps at the front - or anywhere else.....

Roy.

1_zpsfomvlrf4.jpg

2_zpslg9xdulu.jpg

3_zpszftuaynu.jpg

4_zpsevixax8x.jpg

5_zpszrztodd4.jpg

6_zpsxvv0dlu1.jpg

7_zpsenim82b7.jpg

8_zps2opmyzuy.jpg

9_zpsncijryi2.jpg

• Like 3

OK Roy, you've made me do it, it was your fault and yours alone!! I am now off into town (Lyon) to get one of these and then to go to GT Spirit for some inspiration!

There's a beautiful example here on Simoncars.co.uk, it's the blue over cream, UK Reg GDD 931, third row down in the photo library.

This might actually be the first model that I am allowed to display in the living room! :)

• Like 1

OK Roy, you've made me do it, it was your fault and yours alone!! I am now off into town (Lyon) to get one of these and then to go to GT Spirit for some inspiration!

Heller should seriously be sending royalty checks to Roy. He has single-handedly been their best advert EVER.

• Like 1