1/8 Citroen Traction Avant - revisited

Those low-angle model shots are to die for - it's the real thing. Fantastic build and fun per dollar - err pound. I can see why you'd do another.

Roy, I have read elsewhere that the model's weight causes it to want to hurt itself. Causing the suspension bolstering you addressed. Now fully complete, do you see any evidence that condition still exists?

Roy, I have read elsewhere that the model's weight causes it to want to hurt itself. Causing the suspension bolstering you addressed. Now fully complete, do you see any evidence that condition still exists?

TBH...

Having now built it, I would say that if the suspension is built 'solid' - an option in the kit -(and how I will build my 'next' one)- it would be more than capable of holding up the car.

I'd still be inclined to fit metal pins in place of the plastic ones at the front though.

The model isn't all that heavy, being plastic. It's a fraction of the weight of a Pocher.

Mind you, it's still flippin' BIG.

About 50mm shorter than the Rolls Torpedo.

When we get some DECENT weather around here, I'm going to have a go at putting the model on a sheet of rough roofing felt, on a low table.

With the right angle and some big depth of field on my camera, I want to try to get some pics where the car looks 'in scale' with its surroundings.

There's a Citroen dealership a few miles away, with a big forecourt.

It would be fun to get the car (appearing to be) standing outside the showroom windows.

Maybe a few nice country lane shots too...

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Roy this really came out great! The black and white sepia tone pictures make it look like the real thing that someone took a picture of years ago. I can't offer anything else that hasn't already been said other than to say, you have achieved what every modeler strives for and that is not being able to tell the difference between a real car or a model in a picture. Great build.

Wayne

Toy,

Much bigger and the DVLA will charge you tax on that.

A thing of beauty.

For the forecourt pics, have you visited the Elgin Park site?

He has a lot of shots showing how to merge models with

real structures. And some fabulous models too.

Michael Paul Smith on Flickr gets you there.

That final picture could very easily be mistaken for a real vehicle.....Which is the perfect testament to all the hard work you put in on the model. :coolio:

Superb build thread and an even better result......My hat's off to you sir! :thumbsup:

All you guys are incredibly kind.

At the end of the day, it's a box of plastic bits and all I did was stick them together.

OK... I'm a bit 'OCD' with the details and weathering etc, but there's nothing in my build that any one of you couldn't do - and frequently DO.

Don't forget, working on 1/8 stuff is also far easier than the fiddly ones in 1/24, 1/32 and even - heaven help us - 1/43.

- Just take a look at PC's Maserati - you'll see what I mean - it's flippin' EPIC:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971002-profil-24-124-maserati-450s/

I'm extremely happy that people enjoyed my build and my 'waffle'.

If anything I've done has helped anybody, or even inspired you to get this SUPERB kit, I'm happy.

And as a short add-on....

Yes, I'm going to build another one.

Yes, it will be a Cabriolet.

But... I'm going to make it the two-door short body version.

HELP !!!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Nope.....They're the model too! :coolio:

1/43.....Pah! That's massive! :hmmm:

Check this out Roy: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982600-ace-172-citroen-11cv-traction-avant/?hl=%2Bace+%2Bcitroen

It would be great to see a photo of Stew's model sat on the fender of yours (& even better if yours were sat on the fender of a real one). :D

Love that little Citroen!!!

Yes, to see three 'stacked up' would be great.

I'm adding a few tiny bits of paint and foil, then it will be in the 'ready for inspection' area.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy,

I am new to Britmodeller and I am returning to the hobby following a long hiatus. I usually build military models with the occasional large car or bike thrown in. I have been following the Citroen since near the beginning of the build. It is plain that you are very comfortable with your experience and it shows in the quality of the product. Did you build this to match an existing vehicle? Who did you get your leather for the seat upholstery from and was it easy to work? From looking at the door hinges on my model parts I could only think that they would need reinforcement for them to last any length of time what with opening and closing to access the interior for viewing during the life of the model. Is that your impression as well?

I am using a set of Citroen repair manuals for reference and must admit I have found myself using them largely to simply confirm the accuracy of the parts! Not often that happens. Not even with Poacher.

Thanks for taking the time to keep the community informed with these regular updates to the build log. I know how much time they take. The information passed on in the pages of these logs is invaluable to all classes of modeller reading them. Especially if you are contemplating investing the large cash outlay often needed for the current large scale models on the market.

I have just purchased a 1/16th PzKpfw IV H model by Trumpeter and definitely felt that wallet invasion. I am currently working up to starting building their 1/16th T34/85 No 183 and have just waiting for the last of the aftermarket items to arrive before commencing the build. I hope to be able to chip in a few items detailing particular solutions to problems encountered along the way.

Thanks again for the time and work in putting together this Build Log.

Ric

Very, very kind comments.

It was a fantastic, fun build.

Yes, the kit has its problems and the instructions are at best, poor.

With time and patience it builds a lovely model and a 2-door cabriolet is on the cards soon......

For any 'extra's' or help, PM me...

All the best, Roy.

• 1 year later...

This is just an incredible, fact-filled, and instructive journey for any modeler to read. If I ever "graduate" to a level to obtain this Heller kit, I will most certainly purchase that build DVD. Simpy outstanding! Thanks Roy!

Sincerely kind words Rr. F.

Please - get the big Citroen kit.

You really will enjoy it.

Yes, it has probably the largest number of 'real' parts of any model car kit (Pocher tend to count screws etc as parts) but it's not difficult if you take your time.

Another build thread would be great.

I have another one in my stash that is going to be chopped into the 2 door cabriolet at some stage.

Roy.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...