Lynx AH7 with TOW question

anvil6

Hi all! I have been searching the forums but have not found an answer to my question: is the TOW missile sight above the cockpit a piece of mission equipment that would be removed and reinstalled as needed, or would it generally tend to stay on once installed? i am building the airfix Lynx for a group build that will represent a SFOR Lynx i saw down at the helipad at ilidza back in 1998. my deadline is coming up pretty soon so any all all help is greatly appreciated - Cheers!

-Ramon

yep, i have seen a lot of that too, but what i am wondering is if the sight itself was generally left in place, or was it frequently removed from the aircraft? i guess what i am really asking is this: as indicated in the instructions, the aac lynx does not have the sight installed, but it is from a more current timeframe. would it be plausible for me to use the same serial number on this aircraft with the sight installed, if my aim is to model it during 1998 while deployed to bosnia?

as an example, on UH-60's, the External Stores Support System (ESSS) wings could be removed or reinstalled on the aircraft as needed. we usually had birds with the wings left on for long range missions where external tanks would come in handy, and other aircraft had them off to make getting passengers and cargo easier to get in and out, but they were not required to stay that way. so on one particular day, we could see aircraft # 84-23940 with wings on, but then maybe a month later you would see that same bird with wings off for mission requirements. was the TOW sight managed in a similar fashion? sorry if i am not making myself clear, i am confusing myself explainig it now! :)

i was on 847nas and the TOW sight was generally left fitted to a/c even after the TOW missile itself was withdrawn from service, from my own service i rarely saw our cabs without sight because it was still a very usefull observation aid.

• Like 1