dumb paint ratio question.

S5 modeller

Hi chaps.

Got a question on paint mixing ratios.

I should be able to work it out myself, but my brain can't see it.

Need to mix up 80% black to 20% blue.

I intend to use a full 10ml tinlet of black enamel for the 80%, would I then need to add 2ml of blue for the ratio to be correct?

Sounds right in my head, but I'm not so sure.

Can someone put me right?

Thanks for looking.

Matt

Try and get some of those disposable plastic pipettes (the ones I have seen are graduated in 1/2ml increments). I think you'd need to have quite sensitive scales to work with such small quantities of paint, although in principle it might be the more accurate method.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Get yourself some scales off ebay that weigh in very light amounts. I use this for weighing out resin and catalyst which can be in very small quantities. usually will only cost about 6 quid too. They come in for other needs as well. Like nose weights etc.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Cheers chaps.

Got some tamiya pipettes, but the graduations are crap.

I also have some syringes I might use.

Just ordered a set of jewellery scales off of ebay, just £3.49 with postage, they weigh 500 grammes in 0.01 gram incriments.

As they are coming from china ( where else?) they will take a couple of weeks to get here.

Edited by S5 modeller

Cheers chaps.

Got some tamiya pipettes, but the graduations are crap.

I also have some syringes I might use.

Just ordered a set of jewellery scales off of ebay, just £3.49 with postage, they weigh 500 grammes in 0.01 gram incriments.

As they are coming from china ( where else?) they will take a couple of weeks to get here.

You will be surprised I find from china stuff often gets there quicker than domestic purchases. :)

Generally, S5, as long as consistency of part A and part B are similar, you will need to measure paint formulae by volume. Mould making and resin batching are more likely to be by weight, but you will want to read the mixing instructions when the time comes.

Rob, do you recommend a postage scale for the resin mixing? Not precise enough?

Generally, S5, as long as consistency of part A and part B are similar, you will need to measure paint formulae by volume. Mould making and resin batching are more likely to be by weight, but you will want to read the mixing instructions when the time comes.

It depends on how much your mixing, I have 2 scales for very small amounts I use a Jewelry scale. For the big stuff I use a Tesco Digital food scale. Works fine for me.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

I would agree - mix by volume not weight hence suggesting getting syringes to measure the paint out. They are,surprisingly, very accurate.

• Like 1

Two points. Firstly, is there significant differences in the densities of different colour paints (apart from metallic, perhaps)? Secondly if the mix has been specified using volumes then the match will be achieved using volumes.

If there's little difference in the densities than the same result will be achieved using volumes or weights.

If there is a difference in the densities, then using weights when the specified mix used volumes will give you the wrong result.

• Like 1