RAF Harrier GR.5's nose

Piero

Hello,

I'm looking for a set of accurate photos of the Harrier GR5's nose, which I'm trying to replicate in 1/32nd scale.

I've got some profile/3-view drawing in scale as the photos in the Aeroguide book, which are good reference, but I noticed that the "forms" are very particular, and the NATO green color does not help to understand the true dimensions of the bulge for the ill-fated infrared sensor.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction, especially with some close-up photos of the underside of the nose?

Many thanks.

CIAO!

Piero

Edited by Piero

Hi Piero

Not sure what sensor your talking about, the Gr5 lacks the FLIR sensor bulge on top of the nose. Can't think of any 'ill fated infrared sensor' that may have been on the Gr5. Is it the bulge underneath the LRMTS right at the front of the nose?

Muzz

Hi Muzz,

the GR.5 has a "bulge" under the ARBS optical lens.

The bulge was designed to accommodate a "Miniature Infra Red Liner Scan" but for budget this recce-system has never been installed and was cancelled.

A ballat was installed to balance the weight.

But on the GR.5 the bulge was always there, from the first until the nose shape was changed in the GR.7 "style".

CIAO!

Piero

Hi Rich,

thanks for the pics.

What I'm really looking for is a picture taken from the front undercarriage toward the nose cone.

I need to figure out if the back of the MIRLS fairing/bulge was flat or knife blade shaped.

I'll try to do a couple of drawings to explain better what I mean.

CIAO!

Piero