Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

feoffee2

Boeing 737 STGB chat

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I know I shouldn't, I've got too many on the go as it is but I keep dropping by and seeing all these lovely 737s and I'm finding it hard to resist.

 

I'm thinking about entering my Authentic Airliners 737-200 in either Britannia 80's livery, BA Negus, Pan Am blue stripe IGS or classic Sabena.

 

Which do you guys think I should enter?

 

Cheers,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Which do you guys think I should enter?

 

Cheers,

Ian

BA Negus scheme would tie in with your current theme Ian.

 

Chris.

Wondering if I should take the plunge too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, stringbag said:

BA Negus scheme would tie in with your current theme Ian.

Yes, it would mean I can tick another off my list!

30 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Wondering if I should take the plunge too

How about this one Chris?:rofl2:

40302791602_bfb6516cc4_o.jpg

 

Cheers,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian

You've done most of the other BA Negus schemes (111-500, SVC-10, Trident 3, HS 748, B707 that I can remember) so as Chris says it would be logical to add the 732. Classic Sabena would also get my vote.

My HLX -400 is on hold just now while I work on some of my other current projects, mainly a Norwegian 788, a Condor 707 and a BOAC Cunard SVC-10 (Martijn has done me a couple of lovely windscreens) but I'll get back to it soon.

All the best

Dave G

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just pinned this topic, not sure why it had not been pinned before.

 

We now return you to your regular B737 building....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see so many builds finished and going chaps.

 

I have just got back from a week of tasting our lovely South Australian Wines and am ready to get back into to finishing my builds and keeping an eye on you lot! :P

 

Now back to your normal program viewing schedule ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So chaps, less than a month to go until we finish(just under 3 weeks in fact). How are are projects going?

 

I for one have been struggling to get time to work on mine but I think things are on the up and they will get over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So chaps, less than a month to go until we finish(just under 3 weeks in fact). How are are projects going?

:frantic::frantic::frantic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear,  I've just looked in the gallery for the first time;  :undecided: Oh dear, oh dear,  just seen all those professional, museum standard builds;  <_< Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, just looked at my effort  :(

 

It reminds me of one of my school reports, which said that I came 34th out of 35.  The 35ft did not attend!

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 8:23 PM, bootneck said:

Oh dear,  I've just looked in the gallery for the first time;  :undecided: Oh dear, oh dear,  just seen all those professional, museum standard builds;  <_< Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, just looked at my effort  :(

 

It reminds me of one of my school reports, which said that I came 34th out of 35.  The 35ft did not attend!

 

Mike

Don't under-estimate yourself Mike.  I've been following your build with interest and you're doing stuff that I've never tried, like designing your own decals. There are two or three airliner modelling geniuses active on BM, the rest of us follow in their wake.  I know my own standards have improved significantly in the five years or so that I've been a member by learning how other modellers achieve their results and trying the techniques for myself, not always successfully! The most important test is whether you've enjoyed building your model and are happy with it, not how it measures up against someone else's.

 

As Lao Tzu said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right about the airliner experts and I've been following their WiP's avidly.  Never too late to learn.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

 The most important test is whether you've enjoyed building your model and are happy with it, not how it measures up against someone else's.

 

As Lao Tzu said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". 

 

Well said Dave.  I thoroughly enjoy the processes and techniques adopted by you guys even though I never seem to be able to put them into practice.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stringbag said:

..........  I thoroughly enjoy the processes and techniques adopted by you guys even though I never seem to be able to put any wings on!

 

:giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The most important test is whether you've enjoyed building your model and are happy with it, not how it measures up against someone else's.

 

I'm thoroughly enjoying this GB and sharing my own modest efforts on here. I try and catch up with everyones builds most days, and admire all that is done. This inspires me to try and improve my own building, and of course the friendly and helpful comments don't go amiss either! Most of all, I'm just happy to be doing a bit of modelling.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief Charlie Brown, I'm in need of an extension on this, close, but as they say no cigar, going away to Mackay (just down the road - 400 kms) for the weekend , just a couple of days, be back Monday afternoon 0200-0300 UTC, so assume the gallery will automatically lock 0000 UTC Monday.

got as lot done yesterday and last night, but the time for paint and glue to dry is getting to me, could have used Acrylic, but that doesn't go over enamel well at all, and superglue doesn't allow for any adjustments, burning the midnight oil when having to get up and go at 0400 local is not really an option tonight, my days of an allnighter then driving 4-5 hrs are way gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Graeme H said:

got as lot done yesterday and last night, but the time for paint and glue to dry is getting to me, could have used Acrylic, but that doesn't go over enamel well at all, and superglue doesn't allow for any adjustments, burning the midnight oil when having to get up and go at 0400 local is not really an option tonight, my days of an allnighter then driving 4-5 hrs are way gone. 

Graeme, take a :chillpill: and relax. Time away with family and friends is more important, those moments should be grabbed whenever the opportunity arises. Model making is only your hobby and as such it is supposed to be fun and help you to relax too. If this had been a WIP thread you would not have been stressing about meeting a deadline, so just go and enjoy your weekend, the model will still be there when you get home. 🏖️🍨 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah! My careful plan of finishing up my two builds on Sunday night fell apart but I will still wrap them up this week - so close!

 

Nice builds, all of you who finished! I especially like the little Air China one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Bianfuxia.  I had difficulty finding information about the overwing markings, most photo's I could find showed later versions, and so I had to do some guesswork when making those decals.  I like the airliner fleets of China, their marking are usually simple but colourful.  I have the book "Airlines of China" and hope to build more as I improve.  I also have the large Dragon Boeing 747 (14701) of Air China to build one day.

 

I keep looking at @Turbofan 's banner of the BOAC Boeing 377, as I'd like to build something like that as wel but the markings look a bit more complex. :hmmm:

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought now that this GB is winding down.

 

I've been looking at the forthcoming GB calendar and there is nothing specifically airliner related for the rest of the year and as far as I know there are no active plans for anything in 2019 so far.  Some time ago there was a thread about a possible DC-9/MD-80 STGB but it never really took off (!) and didn't attract anywhere near the minimum number.  I'm sure we could all contribute to "Airfix: The Golden Years" and I could probably fill a KUTA GB single-handedly but these aren't specifically about airliners.  I wonder if there would be any appetite for an Airliners IV Group Build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd definitely be up for another Airliners GB Dave. Personally I prefer a general 'airliner' GB to a STGB as there's more variety.

I guess as we'll have to wait until 2019 I stand a chance of clearing my bench of half finished projects!

Cheers,

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I wonder if there would be any appetite for an Airliners IV Group Build?

You could count me in too. I don't build many airliners, but over last few years I have made several. I have always fancied tackling a propliner so a DC6 or DC7 could be a possible candidate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well chaps, it is all over bar the shouting.

 

Well done to all who had a crack at the GB, and especially those who finished their models in time (and almost in time :)

 

I hope to see the threads of the incomplete models updated in due time to show your masterpieces, I have one to fins as well.

 

Thanks to all for contributing, sorry for not being around too much in the later stages, I was away for a short while and lost a little of the modelling mojo near the end.

 

I will get some stats together soon and the poll up and running shortly. 

 

As for a future Airliner GB, I'd be up for it. Just a suggestion that it be a Civil Aviation GB that would include light aircraft, civil helicopters and some ex-military types now in civilian guise. I think the last Airliners GB lost a few participants due to the Airliner restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

You could count me in too. I don't build many airliners, but over last few years I have made several. I have always fancied tackling a propliner so a DC6 or DC7 could be a possible candidate. 

I'd be in for that for sure, and I agree that airliners/civil aviation generally might attract more people - as truly cool as the 737 STGB was! I'm sad I didn't finish any of my builds in time but they're so far along now I will surely knock them over shortly.

 

22 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thank you Bianfuxia.  I had difficulty finding information about the overwing markings, most photo's I could find showed later versions, and so I had to do some guesswork when making those decals.  I like the airliner fleets of China, their marking are usually simple but colourful.  I have the book "Airlines of China" and hope to build more as I improve.  I also have the large Dragon Boeing 747 (14701) of Air China to build one day.

 

I keep looking at @Turbofan 's banner of the BOAC Boeing 377, as I'd like to build something like that as wel but the markings look a bit more complex. :hmmm:

 

Mike

Mike if you want me to help you find some Air China decals here let me know. I have a full set in 1/200 for a 747, I can probably get the same sheet in 1/144. 

Edited by bianfuxia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The poll is up and will close in 2 weeks, so get your votes in!

 

We had 21 completed models. I have included nimrod54's 733 in the poll since it was finished just after the gallery thread closed. Lex77 did not put his completed images in the gallery thread but they were finished well before the deadline so they are in the poll as well. You will have to check his build threads to revisit the build when voting.

 

We had 36 build threads with 35 models proposed to be started.

 

Break down of types (Started/Completed)

 

-100 1/1

-200 11/7

-300 5/5

-400 5/5

-700 5/1

-800 8/2

 

So well done everyone, there was a great variety of Baby Boeings by model and livery.

 

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and we look forward to the next airliner group build, whenever that may be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...