Boeing 737 STGB chat

feoffee2

I'll be in too. Haven't been around the forum much recently but have still been plodding on sticking things together. I'm still mulling over the 737 version and colour scheme but have almost narrowed it down to one of the following:

Zvezda 737 in Southwest new colours or Transavia or China Eastern "peacock" schemes (one of which celebrates the 1000th Boeing airliner in China) 

Revell 737 cut down to a -700 variant in Camair-co colours or something else. This option will use the Braz resin CFM-56 engines.

Airfix 737 in Air Malta or Maersk or Pan Am or Dan Air

Decisions, decisions!! Or it may end being something not listed above...

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Well I don't think I mentioned what schemes I will try for my 1/200 737 builds. In total I have 4 underway and two unstarted, and of the 4 underway, 2 have only just been begun. The other two are a 737-200 which I am making into a Wien Air alaskan 737-200QC with gravel kit, but it's well on its way, as is a Lufthansa -500. So those two won't be in the GB.

The other two are going to be China Eastern Purple Peacock, -800, which I went on a few years ago, and the Air China Olympics "fuwa" luck babies -800 which I went on several times back in those days when part of my life involved flying back and forth between Beijing and Shanghai (and, le'ts be honest, an even bigger part of life involved sitting on the tarmac, engines running...).

So, those and maybe let's see if I can advance the P-8 and Wedgetail...

You can see pics of the Purple Peacock and Olympics ones if you google:

"china eastern purple peacock"

and 

"air china olympics 737" - it's the white one with cartoon figures on the side.

looking forward to it!

• Like 1

I have the BPK kit in 72nd and plan on doing a Janet with it.

Not sure I will get it going during the GB but will see what other projects are on the go as I head into contest season.

• Like 1

Well I alway's like to take part in most GB's especially where the subject's not my usual fare so I'll give Revell's little 1/200 kit a go somewhere

down the line .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Don’t normally delve into 1/144; but what would it take to turn a revell 737-8 into a P-8?

Stu, If you check this link to Boeing P-8, there are some good photos that show the aerials and additional sensors that you would need to add to the fuselage. A quick read of the design section tells you that it is based on a 737-800 ERX (a 737-800 with -900 based wings) and the wing tips are raked back like those of the Boeing 767. I think that with those few addition/changes you would have a good looking P-8 in 1/144 scale. HTH 

• Like 1

Is this flight over-booked? Does someone get bumped if I get upgraded???  Phew, thought not.  Can I play out too?

With a plethora of 1/144 -200s (Airfix plus replacement engines), -300s, -400s and -800s plus more Ryanair, EasyJet and Britannia decals than you can shake a stick at (yes I am that cheapskate flyer!) I should really be coming aboard.

I will check through a few old holiday photos to see if I have any stickers for planes we have flown on as a family and then hopefully I will be completing my second airliner since childhood (if you call the VC-10 K3 that I'm just about to start in the 10th Anniversary GB an airliner) under your watchful (and helpful and supportive knowing my abilities) gazes.

• Like 1

I have a part-started kit that is in a similar condition to the one in the China Olympics build.  Would this be eligible as a second entry in the SGTB, along with my B737-800?

b737_01.jpg

I've had it confirmed that the kit is an Airfix 737-200

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

I have a part-started kit that is in a similar condition to the one in the China Olympics build.  Would this be eligible as a second entry in the SGTB, along with my B737-800?

b737_01.jpg

I've had it confirmed that the kit is an Airfix 737-200

Mike

Happy for this to be included, Mike.

19 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Stu, If you check this link to Boeing P-8, there are some good photos that show the aerials and additional sensors that you would need to add to the fuselage. A quick read of the design section tells you that it is based on a 737-800 ERX (a 737-800 with -900 based wings) and the wing tips are raked back like those of the Boeing 767. I think that with those few addition/changes you would have a good looking P-8 in 1/144 scale. HTH 

so quite a few lumps to add, probably doable for me, thought the racked wingtips look a bit tricky, as do the pylons 

Please can you count me in for this build.  This is going to be a baptism of fire for me as I've never built an airliner before so wish me luck.  The model I've chosen which looks like an absolutely fantastic kit is this one:

zve7019review_1.jpg (700×522)

Many thanks

Kris

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:24 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

so quite a few lumps to add, probably doable for me, thought the racked wingtips look a bit tricky, as do the pylons 

Stu, it is not too hard to make up the pylons and wing tips with sheet card. Here is a diagram showing the wing tips. You need to scale it up to 1/144.  Then I would laminate some card tot eh required thickness cut out a rough blank and glue it tot eh wing. THen I just file and sand to shape blending it to the wing.

P8.jpg

I did it with a B777 some time ago, doesn't take too long. Here is a step by step for my B777, the shape is a bit different but it gives you an idea of how I did it.

39153460135_3f2287a1a4_o.jpg

25179972927_34806637b2_o.jpg

25179973257_afec735f1e_o.jpg

As you can see I started with an oversized base part and brought it down tot he length of the wing tip cord.

I should also add, a company in the USA called Contrails makes a resin P-8 kit. The picture below shows the pylons which doesn't look too hard to make.

c82811787fec364e0c934c404e1ba488_pito_v3

2 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Please can you count me in for this build.  This is going to be a baptism of fire for me as I've never built an airliner before so wish me luck.  The model I've chosen which looks like an absolutely fantastic kit is this one:

zve7019review_1.jpg (700×522)

Many thanks

Kris

Welcome Kris, are you using the kit decals or going for something a bit more colourful?

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Stu, it is not too hard to make up the pylons and wing tips with sheet card. Here is a diagram showing the wing tips. You need to scale it up to 1/144.  Then I would laminate some card tot eh required thickness cut out a rough blank and glue it tot eh wing. THen I just file and sand to shape blending it to the wing.

P8.jpg

I did it with a B777 some time ago, doesn't take too long. Here is a step by step for my B777, the shape is a bit different but it gives you an idea of how I did it.

39153460135_3f2287a1a4_o.jpg

25179972927_34806637b2_o.jpg

25179973257_afec735f1e_o.jpg

As you can see I started with an oversized base part and brought it down tot he length of the wing tip cord.

I should also add, a company in the USA called Contrails makes a resin P-8 kit. The picture below shows the pylons which doesn't look too hard to make.

c82811787fec364e0c934c404e1ba488_pito_v3

Welcome Kris, are you using the kit decals or going for something a bit more colourful?

Cheers for that. Will see what’s happens. Anyway heads up for builders on here, there’s a monogram 1/72 737 going cheap on eBay at the moment item 323044084514, got decals for BA machines included

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Well. Seeing as we are active now, I'll park my AFX phantom on the shelf(not of doom I hope) and get going with my build(s). Revell -800 and Airfix old tool kit . Pics to come might try and do them alongside but more than likely do them as separate threads here.

• Like 1

Hi again. These will be my entries(time permitting).  

IMG_0033.jpg

Airfix kit with Thunderbird decals for Nordair. When done it will go nicely with my Nordair Connie I think.

IMG_0034.jpg

And this one- Revell -800 with Draw Decals scheme for another Canadian carrier and possibly the Braz fuselgae top hump if I can find where it is supposed to go and checked which aircraft(by reggie) it applies to, as it seems, that not all have this hump.. What fun....:penguin:

• Like 1

Quick bit of picking of the collective brain, are the BrenGun resin wheels that are intended for the Minicraft 737-300 suitable for other marks of 737? Have an Airfix -200 and a number of Revell -800's in the pipeline.