1/72, RAF Valley Hawk T.2 Diorama

Valley Hawk T. 2

Well, it's time for me to delve into a WIP thread with a bit of 'proper' modelling.

I bought a 1/72 Hawk and Tucano in the Airfix New Years' sale with the intention of doing a bit of a diorama including both of them. After seeing that my options for 1/72 extras for Tucs are limited, I thought I'd use the Tuc as a 'dress rehearsal' (test out the new airbrush & practice my filing and sanding techniques etc) and do something a bit more special with the Hawk.

RFI Thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977628-airfix-172-tucano-city-of-leeds/

The kit-list comprises of:

Airfix BAE Hawk

Eduard PE set (exterior and interior)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED73354

Xtradecal decals for RAF Valley/Leeming T.1

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72167

Flightpath access ladder

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP72060L

PJ Productions 1/72 Pilots (standing)

Standard unbuilt pictures to follow when I get them uploaded. Plenty to be getting on with!

Comments, questions and criticisms welcomed :)

David

Edited by MattBlack33
  • Like 3

Hi Houston,

Not been able to get this off the ground just yet, but I've got a bit of time tomorrow to make a start. I've mostly been checking out some walkaround pics and videos for reference as well as looking at the Photoetch and thinking how bleedin' small some of it is! I'll try and get some pics up of my progress tomorrow evening :)

• Like 1

Nice things come in small packages. :whistle:

I think you have it nailed when collating and gathering information as that will

ease any queries that you may stumble upon...

Good luck and yes take your time.

I will still be here to check in .

Best wishes.:thumbsup:

Although I had a good few hours modelling this Sunday, I don't think I've got much to show for it. I'm still getting to grips (literally) with the tiny PE parts. I managed to get about 2/3rds of one seat done and the instrument panels. I was a bit gutted about the front panel as I'd picked it up without realising I had a tiny bit of glue on my finger and pulled some of the detail off. It's not too bad and you can't really see it, but I know it's there!

As promised here are some pictures from my weekend's work.

IMG_3173_zpsgpo9yovv.jpg

Box and extras.

IMG_3179_zps7kjnctq9.jpg

IMG_3178_zps9v6fwz5f.jpg

IMG_3175_zpsjui24r0p.jpg

IMG_3187_zpszncxpzjh.jpg

IMG_3185_zpshznlzvno.jpg

IMG_3182_zps3vx2kaqt.jpg

IMG_3181_zpsh3e4y1n6.jpg

IMG_3191_zpsrvq9kagc.jpg

IMG_3190_zpsaqck22oi.jpg

IMG_3188_zpstiaq9dww.jpg

Quick test of fit of the cockpit pieces.

Feedback greatly appreciated by this PE newbie!

• Like 4

Just a little pointer to an oft seen "gotcha"; the stick grip is mounted on a shaft which pivots laterally NOT longitudinally. The pitch pivot point is down on the floor. So, turn the control column through 90 degrees. :)

Kirk

Hi Kirk, thanks for the heads' up! I've made the changes accordingly. I'm a bit annoyed with myself really, I've been looking at Hawk cockpit pictures for weeks now!

The PE certainly adds some nice detail. It's looking very neat so far, a good start.

Thanks, A-t-A. It's been a real battle this past weekend. I think I assumed that I'd be great with PE from the start! I've managed to get the exterior PE on but I'm going to need a lot of practice, doesn't look quite right to me! I'll upload some pictures of the weekend's antics when I get a chance :)

It is with a heavy heart that I'm calling time on this one :( after a promising start (admittedly with a few cock-ups) this kit has fought me at every turn. The PE looks great, but one too many things have gone wrong. I've not trashed it, so maybe I'll come back to it in the future, but for now it's not an enjoyable kit to be working on!