00 Gauge Dapol BR Mogul.

It's been a while since I posted any work on here... Other things to be getting on with, and all that!

I've just finished this project, so this will be a "Work AFTER Progress", rather than a "WIP" in the true sense.

I looked into what kits were available to replicate a scene from the "Last Days of Steam" (-ish), Black freight loco, and decided that the old Dapol BR Mogul fitted the bill lovely.

I haven't included all the photo's because that would just get a bit monotonous, but the important ones are posted.

So here goes...

In all her unmade glory...

DSCF2367_zpstqddzrra.jpg

Obviously old molds... Massive amount of Flash to sort out...

DSCF2368_zpspj13rp5p.jpg

Not too keen on the "Clunky" molded grab rails, so they had to go... From this...

DSCF2370_zpsn5lkxn04.jpg

To this...

DSCF2371_zpsxevubcom.jpg

Main parts coming together...

DSCF2373_zpsonej7vzt.jpg

Time for some paint... Just Black, with some metallic Dry Brushing...

DSCF2375_zpsnafd5y5c.jpg

DSCF2377_zpsl8hl8l7c.jpg

DSCF2378_zpssj4vodpp.jpg

Red Lining, and Decals, which look far too bright against the Black, but this will be sorted later anyways, and start of the weathering...

DSCF2379_zpstrqxh6yy.jpg

DSCF2380_zpsq59ynw5n.jpg

Edited by pte1643
  • Like 6

More of the Loco later...

On to the Dio base work...

Length of "Standard" Hornby rail, with the start of some colour...

DSCF2381_zpsb6zsw1vx.jpg

Bit more advanced, also with added Ballast...

DSCF2382_zpskfpiwcpg.jpg

What's an old steam loco without a old wagon to pull? Some way through the battered wagon, which is a Parkside kit. Actually far too good for a static display, as it's got smooth ruuning wheels and all, but there we go...

DSCF2383_zpswztmlizl.jpg

Now back to the base... Anyone remember an old Plaster of Paris system called Linka? I still have a far bit from years ago, and decided to put it to good use...

DSCF2384_zpsoiuvloik.jpg

Now to turn this little lot into some kind of tunnel portal... There's some air bubbles in the plaster, but that's not really going to be a big problem, all will be revealed later... Primed (Halfords rattle can)

DSCF2385_zpsrf9gdimk.jpg

Reinforced at the back...

DSCF2387_zpsxik0ot4i.jpg

Start of the painting...

DSCF2386_zpscxgb4mki.jpg

• Like 1

Now... Let's make this little lot a bit more 3D... Good old Papier mache to make up the banking, more plaster of paris for the wall...

DSCF2390_zpsftqtvrru.jpg

Now time for the groundwork and foliage. Mostly Woodland Scenics...

DSCF2403_zpsiyjl9vva.jpg

Bit more, with some weathering, especially to the tunnel entrance (exit), Smoke stains and bird "poo", etc...

DSCF2539_zpspxicl5fd.jpg

Further down the line, we have a fogmans hut...

DSCF2541_zpstvlt2oga.jpg

And a close up of the "rusty" wire fencing. Painted fishing line with MIG rust effect fluid...

DSCF2542_zpsa7vfyimp.jpg

And looking along the whole stretch...

DSCF2544_zpsqb8j9g0i.jpg

• Like 9

Now let's put the whole thing together...

Weathering on the loco with various stages of airbrushing, for this I used Createx Wicked Detail (auto) colours, Smoke Black, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre...

Cows and Cycle are supplied unpainted from Model Scene railway accessories...

Smoke from the stack is aquarium filter wool formed around a fine wire frame and detailed with Createx Smoke Black.

I was looking at producing a dio of a tired old loco, on it's last legs, I'm pretty happy with the result.

These group of pics are the finished article... If the mods wish these to be put into an RFI thread, please advise...

DSCF2546_zpswp78bbdl.jpg

DSCF2547_zpsejz4ry2g.jpg

DSCF2548_zpsok6skozh.jpg

DSCF2550_zpshndhjw8g.jpg

DSCF2551_zpstcyqcyob.jpg

DSCF2553_zpswbeu5qjr.jpg

DSCF2558_zps1dzfv27x.jpg

DSCF2559_zpssn11bemi.jpg

DSCF2560_zpsjzdh8iha.jpg

DSCF2564_zpsfv3cu9en.jpg

DSCF2566_zps8u9ol7sn.jpg

DSCF2573_zpsoaumbfzh.jpg

Edited by pte1643
  • Like 23

Cheers guys.

It was an enjoyable, if slightly long build.

I'm toying with the idea of a Battle of Britain class now...

But having said that, I've also got a load of others already that need attention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:wow: THE DIORAMA and the whole ensemble takes your train to another level..

you have given a lot of attention to detail which I like...{I will come back later to LIKE it as I have none left !}

WELL DONE :mike:

Superb diorama, really enjoyed the build and finished result pics.

I built this kit for my Dad a few years ago. He was a fireman in the last days of steam, although he mainly worked on 'Black 5s' the Mogul still takes pride of place on the mantle.

Steve.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That look,s superb,my LMS has a couple of Dapol kit,s in,it might make a nice change to have a crack at one,I built a few airfix boxing,s many

year's ago.

• 1 month later...

Lovely model,and my favourite loco type.can you answer a question for me please.the red bands on the boiler of the Airfix/dapol kit,are they on the real thing or is this a raised part for ease of painting.cheers.....Neil.

• 2 months later...