Boeing 737-800 - Kulula

Hello everyone,

This is my first building report on this forum. I am building the standard Revell Boeing 737-800, but with the quite extraordinary 'Flying 101' paint scheme from Kulula, a South African airline.

1904168_zpsnajlctm2.jpg

I will fill and remove the panel lines on the fuselage as an experiment to see if that looks good, and maybe I will draw some of them back on with a pencil after painting. I'll leave the lines on the wings as they are, though.

The winglets in Revell's kit are horrible, but I have not used aftermarket replacements. I simply made them a bit slimmer and didn't heighten them.

I am also aware that the cabin windows are molded too low on the fuselage, but I like to leave the windows open instead of filling them so I'll just have to accept that.

Now for my work so far:

005_zps5i44uxpc.jpg

With a few layers of primer... I think I'll do it again with grey primer to get an even colour, and then with white again.

IMG_20150225_131315_zps82ot9jtx.jpgIMG_20150225_131137_zps18xyqzfa.jpgIMG_20150225_131127_zps7rofor3z.jpgIMG_20150225_131055_zpsgfrmyhch.jpg

I put some pieces of stretched sprue in the back of the engine to make it a bit less empty and monotone.

IMG_0224_zpsepwor6rc.jpg

And I also filed the fins on the sides of the engine to make them thinner

IMG_20150301_152519_zpskbsq1ubk.jpgIMG_20150301_152555_zpscsuf79qf.jpg

• Like 2

What an entrance! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Saw this aircraft once while connecting in Johannesburg, and had to restrain myself from pointing it out to all the complete strangers sitting around me, and just enjoy the moment in silence..

Cheers,

Mike

Oooh, a fellow Revell 737 builder...(except mine is on hold because of continuing flu-side effect...oops) Tell me, is this kit really as rare as it seems to me? No modeling shop, either in Moscow where I live or abroad which I visit on holiday seem to have it? Even the shop in the Musee De L'Air in Le Bourget had it...the only shop I have seen which did was of course the one in Vienna where I bought the thing!

When I bought some a few years ago, they were almost giving them away. $10 was all I ever paid. Now that I want another one ( for the 26 Decals retro Qantas scheme ) they are nowhere to be found, or cost a small fortune. I did read somewhere lately that they plan to reissue this kit, but I can't remember where I read that.

Let's hope I do remember correctly!

Cheers,

Mike

Nice scheme. I will be interested to see how it goes without any panel lines.

I have 2 of these in the stash and have built one as a BBJ about 10 years ago. I am also looking for more, I know there is one on the shelves of the LHS as the moment. Never got one as cheap as $10 like Mike though!

I always thought that the 737 was one of the most widely available kits, but I wasn't aware that they're not in Revell's product line anymore. I did know that airliner kits are scarce outside Europe.

As for the Airliners.net picture, my apologies, I will change it when I make my next update. I figured it would be okay because it has the name of the owner of the photograph and the Airliners website in it.

• Like 1

As for the Airliners.net picture, my apologies, I will change it when I make my next update. I figured it would be okay because it has the name of the owner of the photograph and the Airliners website in it.

It looks like you are hosting the image through your photobucket account as opposed to linking direct to Airliners.net (which is the no-no). Since you are not cropping the photographers details it should be OK. The next question is whether Airliners.net allows their hosted images to be hosted elsewhere?

Oh okay, I see. I did that because the original image was very large and I was afraid the size would be cumbersome. That's why I downsized it and reuploaded it to Photobucket. I now see though, that all my photos appear to have been sized automatically to be equal in width. If that's the case, I could replace the photo with a direct linked one.