1:48 Airfix BAe Hawk T1, 4FTS RAF Valley 1990

After successfully clearing several models from the shelf of doom I thought I would indulge myself with a simple quick build of a kit from deep in the stash. No fancy stuff, just making use of the paints I have to hand (so no stressing that something is not quite the right shade of grey). I settled on the Airfix 1/48 scale BAe Hawk T1, which I have had hanging around since 2005 (which is I think the year it was released?). Box was long gone (dissolved when a bit of a flood caused issues in the back shed in our old place in Geelong). I completed it as XX164 of 4FTS, RAF Valley in around 1990 (using decals from Xtradecal Sheet X48-027). Sadly this aircraft was written off in a fatal crash a few years later.

Build thread here.

Real mixture of paints: White from a Tamiya rattle can, Tamiya (red and blue) and Italeri (Light Aircraft Gray) brushed acrylics. Finished with Italeri Semi-gloss Acryl varnish.

Thanks for looking.

82DB6B7E-FC6A-4D8E-BC78-AF911828C262_zps

0C407445-9B46-4378-8220-980BC09DEA33_zps

AD24F9FA-F0F5-4C18-ADE8-CEF825A1D0AA_zps

E2EA512D-30EC-407D-98F1-DB10C01084FD_zps

• Like 20

Fantastic model! Something about the registration rang an alarm bell in my head and, after a bit of digging, I now know why. I read the accident report for this aircraft way back in 2000 when on a tea break while working Gibraltar ops (it was on the coffee table. Howzat for memory, eh?).

Also, amusingly, while digging for this aircraft, i found this picture from the 80's of the subject aircraft. I won't post the image as I don't want to risk a warning point on a family server/forum. So i'll post this link with the caveat that if you're overly-easily offended, you may choose not to follow the link (it appeals to my humour though) --> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/phyjrdb1/biggles_zpsick8atxr.jpg

• Like 1