1/48th Fw-190D-9

Al Keller

I prefer the Eduard kits. I feel they are the most accurate but I am no 190D expert.

The Tamiya kit has errors in the landing gear. But it builds easily.

I forget the shortcomings of the Trimaster kits. Someone here will know.

Hello!

There are many choices and I am hoping that the "experts" on this forum could rate the kits that are available.

I'm looking for the most accurate kit.

Thank you in advance for your comments and guidance,

Al Keller

hi Al

discussed here a bit http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973061-a-little-polldiscussion-on-your-favourite-148-fw190-d-9and-why/

I'd have a search on Hyperscale Plane Talking, as there are more 190 nuts there, and the search works pretty well.

this discusses Trimaster/Dragon vs Italeri, predating Eduard and Hobbyboss kits

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1256144102

The Eduard kits do have a too thick tail leading edge though it's not hard to sand thinner , and someone was ranting on about the front canopy being too wide or narrow. This maybe rubbish as it might have been Gaston Marty.... and I really can't be bothered to try to find it right now

found it by chance http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1222171716/4/Uh+Oh%21+Eduard%2C+don%27t+make+the+same+mistake%21

I did try to find some info on the Hobbyboss kits, and I didn't find any huge wailing and gnashing of teeth over it.

it's late, hopefully someone will post up a some more information.

edit Hobby Boss vs Eduard

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1372858888/1/Hobby+Boss+FW+190+D9+compared+to+Eduard+D9+for+Len

this is worth a read http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1408993786

Irritatingly no kit bits compared to real thing and each other...

Take this for what it's worth: I am not a 1/48 expert, but am a lifelong fan of the 190. I recently served as a judge at a well-attended contest where quite a few 1/48 Fw 190's were on display, including an Eduard D-9.

I feel the overall shape and "look" of this kit are quite good. But the fat fin already mentioned is definitely there, and the another noticeable item was how spindly the landing gear struts look. I've never seen this mentioned before, but they were significantly smaller in diameter than the struts on the various Hasegawa and Tamiya Fw 190's nearby, and it really stood out when looking at the group.

There were two radial-engined Eduard 190's at the same contest. The chunky fin seems even more obvious on these, and the gear struts are very similar (in fact the same parts I suspect).

Minor issues to fix (or just ignore) of course, and again the Eduard Dora is otherwise excellent, to my eye at least.

Edited by MDriskill

I honestly don't think there is a 'most accurate kit'.

If you managed to wade through some of 'toys out of prams' on a couple of Troy's links, you'll see all the available kits have errors.

What you have to do is weigh up the degrees of error (i.e. fixability vs livability) with other aspects such as cost and ease of build. I like the look of the Eduard 190Ds but they can be 'demanding' to get right and the thick tail and ill fitting (in the closed position) wing root cannon fairings can take some work to correct yourself (or via a Loon Models set or two).

Only from what I've read, does the HB kit look OK in most areas. It will be less finessed than Eduard, is allegedly 5mm too short (in company with earlier 190 D releases by Tamiya and Trimaster) but sounds eminently more buildable. It's all about trade offs....

Of course, in a couple of years, Zoukei Mura may have released their 1/32 FW 190D-9 and then scaled it down to 1/48... that could then hold the crown as most accurate (and probably most expensive) D-9 in the scale.

Matt

• Like 1

I honestly don't think there is a 'most accurate kit'.

If you managed to wade through some of 'toys out of prams'

Of course, in a couple of years, Zoukei Mura may have released their 1/32 FW 190D-9 and then scaled it down to 1/48... that could then hold the crown as most accurate (and probably most expensive) D-9 in the scale.

Matt

Pretty much normal fare for HS!

Well I'm 3/4s into building ZM's 1/48 Ta152H and I can't say I'm all that impressed with it, you wouldn't believe the amount of seam lines that I have had to deal with on almost every single part, the detail is pretty chunky and the wing to fuse joint is poor.

Back to the Fw190D, I'd forget about the Tamiya kit unless you want to buy all of MDC's resin correction sets to put all it's many faults right, probably the best thing the Tamiya kit is the canopy!

I've built the Hobbyboss Ta152c, its on here in RFI, so I'd imagine their D kit would build up nice and easily like the Ta did, however I threw a load of aftermarket stuff at it to get it accurate.

I'd recommend using the Eduard D, and ignore it's fat tail, replace the prop with the MDC one for the Tamiya kit and if you're building one with the later Blown canopy replace that with say a Squadron vac formed one or pinch it out of the Tamiya kit.

Tim.

• Like 1

I thing Eduard is now best Dora when you use MDC propeler and AML tail

http://www.eshop.aml.cz/lang-en/pur-sets/433-focke-wulf-190d-correct-tail-.html

Eduard relase new Fw 190 easier to asembly not saw engine and gun bay and all surface will by riveting like Bf109E/G.But only version A5-9 not version D9/11/13 :weep:

Edited by Reserve_22
  • Like 1

Yes, I've managed to scrape and sand the fin down to something more prototypical, it's then just the hassle of re-scribing the detail.

I also have the AML tail which looks good and Loon Models' gun bay covers.

I'm sorry to hear the ZM 1/48 Ta 152H is disappointing... so maybe not worth hanging on for them to do one...

Matt

I don't believe it easier to cut off and replace the tail, than to reshape the existing fin, but as a corrected fin exists, I'd say the pragmatic, not to say economical course of action is to try reshaping the kit one, and if that is not satisfactory, then get a tail replacement.

found this

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9701-9800/gal9701-Fw-190-Ben-Shahar/00.shtm

Eduard

01.jpg

Dragon (ie Trimaster /DML, Italeri too)

02.jpg

Eduard

07.jpg

Dragon

08.jpg

and compare with the D-13 fin above.

Is it me, or is work and accuracy of cutting off a tail unit and then adding a resin one, a much harder job than some careful scraping and sanding?

Not to mention the expense.

What is actually wrong with the Eduard, or Dragon prop/spinner as well?

Here's the one in the US, I can the Eduard spinner looks too pointy, the Dragon one looks pretty close?

Fw190_D_black_1_NASM.jpg

all surface will by riveting like Bf109E/G

an unfortunate fashion, which I hope will cease when it realised that rivets are not holes....

this is an interesting shot, both for lack or holes, and that the leading edge is detached, note fin shape

focke_wulf_fw_190__restoration_tail_sect

• Like 2

I know the rivet are not holes but negativ panel lines would i never seen on real aircraft thats the same.The MDC riveting tool is great but Im not maniac do it with this.Live is too short and scale models too much at home ;-)

Well personally I'd rather pay for the tail unit and save myself the bother of all that scraping, I can't see it costing the earth anyway. The Eduard prop blades are overly thick and the wrong profile at the cuffs, again I suppose you could spend time sanding them down and re profiling to save you a few bob!

I'm sorry to hear the ZM 1/48 Ta 152H is disappointing... so maybe not worth hanging on for them to do one...

Matt

Probably not. May be I was expecting to much from the kit, I certainly wasn't expecting the amount of clean up required on every part! Don't get me wrong it looks ok and up till joining the wings to fuselage everything fit ok.

People who go cold at the thought of building Eduard's 190s would be best giving it a wide berth though that is for sure.

Being old enough to remember when the Trimaster/Dragon 190s appeared I must admit I am very fond of those kits and even if Eduard´s kit is more "modern" and more detailed I just prefer those old classics.

Kjetil