Serbia - Eduard MiG-21bis 1/144 +++ FINISHED +++

One of my contributions to this group build will be 1/144 scale MiG-21bis built from Eduard kit, using decals from JBr Decals Fishbeds of the World pt. 2 set. I still haven't decided which of the two Serbian MiGs included in the set it will be, but most likely it will be a/c #17163 which was painted in experimental two-tone grey camouflage scheme.

As Eduard's small MiGs are quite easy to build, I decided to build both MiGs for this GB together and even add two more for the initial phase to eliminate the "boring factor" of it (those will be MF converted to R in Czechoslovak/Czech colors and will be finished separately, they will only appear in the pictures in the first part of the whole build). Today I started the boring part by separating the fuselage, wings and interior parts from the sprues. As time permits I will continue by cleaning the parts and building cockpit assemblies in the following days.

Only one picture today, my sort of Znamya Trudaesque workbench... :)

migs01.jpg

Edited by JBr

Thanks for the update JBr :)

I'm afraid though that you will have to explain 'Znamya Trudaesque workbench...', for me though please!

Cheers

Cliff

Znamya Truda manufacturing plant in Moscow was one of the facilities where the serial production of MiG-21s took place. They still build aircraft there, but the name is diferent now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I wrote in the Zambian MiG build thread, I didn't make it in time for the deadline. Only the small bits need to be attached, about an hour or so of work. I will most likely finish both of them tomorrow as our national team is playing against Canada at the ice hockey world championships today in the evening. There's no need to rush for the deadline anymore anyway.

migs03.jpg

• Like 2

Good luck with the match tonight JBr, I was in Prague in 1998 when you won the Winter Olympics Gold - it was quite a night!!!

Cheers

Cliff

Two days late for the deadline but I'm finally done. The kit was built straight out of the box except for the decals that come from my Fishbeds of the World pt. 2 decal set.Camouflage was airbrushed with the help of vinyl painting masks I designed and cut. For painting I used Agama Red Line paints, for light grey I used light ghost grey and for the darker grey I mixed gunship grey and middle grey. To accent the panel lines I used the "poor man's wash" made of water with few drops of dishwashing fluid and my daughter's watercolor paints.

The tip of the nose cone is a bit bended as the MiG wanted to try if it can fly itself... Well, it didn't. And as I was already out of the mixed dark grey I decided not to risk damaging the paint and leave it as it is.

serbia01.jpg

serbia02.jpg

serbia03.jpg

serbia04.jpg

• Like 4