Airfix 1/48 Bedford MWD light truck *now with added sprue shots!*

John

Hi John

Great news, I found a real one of these recently that desperately needs rescuing, it still has it's service paint and regiment marking on it, I'll try and add some photos to this post, if that's ok with you ?

Cheers Pat

Hi John

Great news, I found a real one of these recently that desperately needs rescuing, it still has it's service paint and regiment marking on it, I'll try and add some photos to this post, if that's ok with you ?

Cheers Pat

'course, the more the better.

J

And I almost forgot.

What a welcome 1/48 (along with the Albion fuel truck), for too many years british MV's had been neglected by mainstream kit manufacturers. Definitely one or both on the purchase list.

Regards Adrian

Regarding the colour instructions with thwe Bedford MWD, these need some correction. The disruptively painted vehicle should have a basic colour of Khaki Green No.3 which is actually a brown looking colour like a strongly hued Olive Drab. Humbrol 30 is nothing like the correct colour. Other than WEM no paint is available OOT for this but 5 x H159 + 4 x H10 + 4 x H24 will get close. The disrupter of Dark Green is best represented by H163 or 195. The other option is overall SCC.2 brown, Humbrol 29 is far too light and yellow for this. 5 parts of 98 and 4 of 29 is nearer but still not quite right. The canvas areas were of dyed canvas, use H29 or add some white to this. Tryes should be dark grey, H32 is far better than black

• 11 months later...

Note if you buy the 'Ready For Battle' set the instructions only mention steps 1-40 the early version. The parts for the late version are on the spruces, you just need to work it out for yourself!

Hello Guys,

Its very nice to see so much interest in this truck. I own and restored "willow" the 1940 Bedford MWD the Airfix model was based on. Here's a picture of her when I restored her the first time. I was just coming to the end of restoring her again when Airfix came to see us.

Is the Bedford in perth still sat outside? I have a very good home for it.

PICT0050_zpsqt9ucsvy.jpg

Edited by john rippingham

Hello Guys,

Its very nice to see so much interest in this truck. I own and restored "willow" the 1940 Bedford MWD the Airfix model was based on. Here's a picture of her when I restored her the first time. I was just coming to the end of restoring her again when Airfix came to see us.

Is the Bedford in perth still sat outside? I have a very good home for it.

PICT0050_zpsqt9ucsvy.jpg

Hi John

I have sent you a PM, I will tell all for the price of a drive in Him / Her when it's going, deal ?

I would love to know its history.

Regards Pat

• Like 1

Looks like rebuilding that 1:1 might be easier than juggling the construction of the kit! The roof/sides and bonnet/grille/sides were fun to get to line up!

Anybody have any ideas as to the acrylic paint colours for this vehicle..thanks

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913729-british-ww2-tank-colors/#entry986298

but for the ones Mike mentions

Tamiya mix Nobels Khaki Green No.3/ G3 & Dark Green

Just what the new Bronco kit owners need. Khaki Green 3 was the new basic colour from mid-1939 till phased out in 1941. But also may be used as an alternative colour in lieu of Slate 34 in the Caunter scheme.

Mix: - 3 pts XF62 + 2 pts XF59.

The resulting colour is slightly less rich than a sample matched to an original motorcycle part and slightly less brown than on a steel helmet in original colour, so a good average.

Dark Green G4: - mix 3 x XF61 + 2 pts XF58. No original colour found; yet.

This was the colour specified in MTP 20 for use in scheme 1 for 'average European conditions'. This colour is matched to the colour that I use over Khaki Green 3 and which is based on the use of complimenary hues and low contrast values seen on numerous contemporary photographs and what few colour photographs exist for 1940 period vehicles.

Tamiya mix : SCC No.2 (brown) September 18 2009 at 4:46 PM

I got there at last thank goodness, and what a job that was too, only 120+ test shots. This colour replaced Khaki Green 3 as the basic colour from late 1941 and remained in use right through to the end of the war although replaced on vehicles for NWE in about March 1944 on. Also on vehicles from U.K. and Canada send to M.E. in 1943-45. In the MTP46 scheme you can put Dark Tarmac, SCC 1A dark brown or SCC 14 black over this.

Mix: 5pts XF68 + 4pts XF3 + 1pt XF1. The result is just a fraction strong on the red so go careful and do not overdo the black as even a slight touch too much darkens the result a great deal. Should be OK with some medium grey added for scale effect.

HTH

T