USS Enterprise Bridge

GordonD

This is the Science console, which is located to the left of Uhura's Comms station. I'm working my way round anticlockwise so I can attach all the sections together and make sure they're aligned properly before fixing them to the base.

PIC_0687.jpg

Note the view scope on the left, which Spock would look into at crucial moments. If you've ever wondered what he saw, then I'm happy to reveal that after extensive research I've come up with the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpWzeFtWJfw

Fascinating!

• Like 2

I don't intend to post photos of every control station, as they all look very similar (except that some have only a single monitor screen at the top). However I have been noting the problems I've faced and here's another one.

PIC_0690.jpg

This is the assistant navigator's console and as you can see the decal for one of the screens is damaged.

PIC_0693.jpg

When I applied it and tried to move it into its final position, a small split appeared, then the loose piece folded under itself then came away and vanished. I will have to patch it with a small piece of spare decal though the colour might not match and the red vector line will be missing.

For something that's supposed to be fun, the modelling hobby can be really annoying at times...

• Like 1

Hi Gordon just a suggestion, rather than trying to match a piece of decal, why not paint a small grey partial moon (disappearing off screen like) or similar, over the break.

All the best Chris

That's an idea, Chris, but to me what's on screen is more of a display readout than an image of what's outside the ship, if you follow. The first course of action is certainly to paint the background gloss black so it's not so blatantly obvious. Then if I can cut a thin-enough strip of red decal I might be able to apply it on top of the existing one.

A careful touch-up with Humbrol Satin Black 85 and here's the result:

PIC_0694.jpg

I think trying to complete the red line will be impossibly fiddly so I'm going to leave it as it is. At least it doesn't leap out at you as it did before.

• Like 2

Four control consoles now complete (Weapons, Nav, Science and Comms) and here they are in place against the floor section, along with the turbolift doors.

PIC_0695.jpg

PIC_0696.jpg

They're not fixed in place yet - merely standing freely. The reworking of the floor area in front of the lift doors has left a nasty gap between the communications console and the side wall of the lift entrance: I'll have to fill this with plasticard - not looking forward to that.

Believe it or not the lift doors gave me problems, though this time it was my fault. I wanted a more fiery red than Humbrol 19 so went for Humbrol 238 instead. It looked good on the handrails and the sides of the control panel where Sulu and Chekov sit, but when I tried painting the doors it came out streaky and the brush marks were clearly visible. I sanded it off and tried again but the results were no better. So in the end I used a rattlecan of Humbrol 19 after all and made new doors out of plasticard.

• Like 1

I'll include them but not fixed in place. The bases as supplied in the kit are rather thick so I'll use squares of plasticard instead, painted to match the carpeting.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the other side of the circle, so to speak: these are the consoles to the right of the turbolift doors as you stand facing them:

PIC_0700.jpg

From left to right the consoles are Engineering, Environmental Control and Engineering sub-systems. Don't ask me why the two engineering panels aren't next to each other; seems a poor design but that's the way the kit has it and all the blueprints and plans agree.

I've still to paint the top edge but apart from that the consoles are ready to attach to the base.

Here's the Engineering sub-systems panel, showing that the ship is on Red Alert, which they seemed to be a lot of the time:

PIC_0699.jpg

• Like 3

Getting a little bit ahead of myself here, but can anybody with experience of figure painting tell me a good colour for Uhura's face and hands?

Here's the main viewscreen, and you can see why they're at Red Alert.

PIC_0705.jpg

There's actually a choice of decals for the screen: apart from the Klingon ship, there's a rather dull planet and the Balok puppet from the Corbomite Maneuver episode, which also turned up as one of the stills during the end credit sequence. However I felt the Klingons were more exciting so went for them.

• Like 2

Now wouldn't it be fun to have the crew tumbling around like they have been hit? Maybe slightly tilting the floor to add action? :frantic:

Looking good Gordon, can't wait to see this one finished.

The ship on the viewscreen could even be a Romulan battle cruiser as in one episode where the Enterprise is instructed to steal a cloaking device they are using the Klingon battle cruiser design.

Rick

This kit continues to fight me at every turn. Fortunately I think I've finally battered it into submission.

PIC_0708.jpg

Probably due to the reconfiguration of the turbolift area, the panels on either side of the main viewscreen wouldn't fit properly. I managed to force them (almost) into place by doing one at a time, gluing it firmly at one end, waiting for it to dry rock-hard then gluing it at another point, and so on. I bless the day I bought those little spring-loaded clamps... However this still left nasty gaps up one side so I concealed them with rectangles of plasticard, to good effect if I say so myself.

With regard to the panel on the left of the viewscreen: this is how the set was constructed and therefore how it appeared on screen. However all of the blueprints and deck plans (most of which take their cue from the originals, produced by German designer Franz Joseph) replace this panel with a small alcove containing a secondary exit from the bridge. This makes a lot of sense and would put paid to all those stories in which the crew were trapped on the bridge because the power was out and the turbolift wasn't working. The door (explained as being part of a later refit) led to a corridor running round the outside of the control consoles and containing not only a piece of technology that appears to have been forgotten by the 23rd century - a staircase! - but also a toilet, located behind the right-hand panel, which I hope was soundproof. Cue jokes about the Captain's Log and those stubborn Kling-Ons...

I did briefly consider scratch-building the door but decided I couldn't do it justice so I've just gone with the way things were arranged on screen.

So here's the bridge with all the consoles in place:

PIC_0714.jpg

What remains to be done is the main console where Kirk, Sulu and Chekov sit, plus the railings around the central area. Plus the chairs and figures. But the end is in sight.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

PIC_0722.jpg

Captain Kirk.

Those who were quick enough to see the previous version of this post, before I deleted it, may have wondered why Kirk looked so old and haggard. Well, that's because I had used Dr. McCoy's head by mistake and didn't realise until I saw it larger than actual size on screen. Fortunately the heads are a tight fit to the bodies, so I hadn't used any glue to attach it and was able to remove it again without any problems. After a hair-dye job McCoy's head is now on his own shoulders.

The model is all but complete - the only thing remaining to do is to paint Lt. Uhura, and I'm kind of stuck because I can't find an appropriate colour. Any suggestions?

• Like 1