Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante

This was my first Trumpeter kit and I had heard that it had some fit problems. It lived up to it's reputation and tested my skills to breaking point. So much so that I confess I lost some enthusiasm towards the end and finished it without any weathering and maybe in a rush.....

8c8e3e6540c9b9ebb43d5348104b01ef.jpg

I knew that the fuse halves had fit problems and bought the Nautilus Models balsa brace system from the states. This fitted brilliantly and made what would have been very difficult much easier although I still didn't manage to get the fit exactly right and some filling and sanding was needed. I also used an Eduard zoom cockpit set. Unfortunately having fitted the ejector seat mask loops both subsequently got lost to the carpet monster. I didn't use the originals as they are so wildly out of scale (like wheelbarrow handles) so ended up with none, but the "Zoom" kit detail and colour was great and having used several now is good value I think

3a5850cf193082e4436b35740638372d.jpg

The intakes didn't want to fit at all and required quite a lot of fettling. I modified the flaps and slats from the kit down position to allow them to be up as this is how these aircraft were always parked.

20257bb68690d22317cf8828f0079f49.jpg

The jet pipe surround didn't fit either and again much Tamiya filler and sanding was employed.

ee06c5a47c1c4d3c70aea18ec7ed26c4.jpg

Net research showed that standard load for these aircraft was one flash pod, not ordnance, but the kit item didn't look like any reference pictures, I assumed it had a ground guard over the generator propellers and painted it accordingly.

c99728e059866776977835615bb3e433.jpgI tried to use the kit decals but of the first two applied one broke up into several pieces and the other folded into a tangle. I gave up on these and found this great pale blue scheme from Superscale for RVAH-14 USS Independence 1974 which I love.

dba6b26af3749499fa7bebf63e21cf54.jpg

Whilst polishing the front cockpit I managed to split in in two halves.......so had to repair it as best I could. The rear cockpit partially split and I have no idea how! I opted to fit the canopies open (not a kit option) so that the great Eduard cockpit detail set could be seen.

One positive was that following a magazine article I bought Tamiya weathering master pastels for the jet nozzles which produced fantastic results first time out. Previously I have really struggled with getting a representation of these, no longer I feel :-)

ed71cc92ad1518301f6358f4c70471b1.jpg

In summary this was without doubt the most difficult kit I have attempted to date. I have no doubt some of the problems were down to my lack of skill but I think it safe to say that this kit does have some serious fit issues. Having said that I think that it has produced a great representation of this ground breaking supersonic carrier jet and I am please with the end result.

I hope you like it too.

Regards

TonyS

EDIT

PS

Next up, HobbyBoss F3H-2M Demon........

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 11

Tony you're right on every count. Without the Nautilus brace it would be even worse!

Well done for finishing it. There are so few of these around, each one built is practically unique!

Great scheme, well done.

Al

• Like 1

That is great work and a jet I have a fondness for after building the Airfix kit in the same markings last century! It was one kit on my buying list but I had no idea that building it was such a trial! Ah well, your perseverance has paid off, it looks every inch the part!!

Simon

• Like 1

Tony you're right on every count. Without the Nautilus brace it would be even worse!

Well done for finishing it. There are so few of these around, each one built is practically unique!

Great scheme, well done.

Al

"Practically Unique"!

Thanks Al, now that makes me feel better!

TonyS

That is great work and a jet I have a fondness for after building the Airfix kit in the same markings last century! It was one kit on my buying list but I had no idea that building it was such a trial! Ah well, your perseverance has paid off, it looks every inch the part!!

Simon

Simon

If you can find one, go for it!

It's a big beautiful kit of a fantastic (and much underrated) aeroplane I think.

Perseverance will yield results but TBH I was so stretched by it that by the end I just wanted it finished. Anyone with more patience than myself could achieve a stunning result I think.

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

It looks good from here! Nice build, I know what you mean about losing your enthusiasm towards the end. Your Viggie looks good but (I think) would look superb with a little weathering, maybe if you revisit her in a few months and add a little you could show her again.

It looks good from here! Nice build, I know what you mean about losing your enthusiasm towards the end. Your Viggie looks good but (I think) would look superb with a little weathering, maybe if you revisit her in a few months and add a little you could show her again.

You're right I'm sure.......maybe it will happen.......

Thanks for your kind comment.

TonyS

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments, much appreciated!

The big "Viggie" has moved to the display case, I'm not sure it will make it's way back to the workbench......I think I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt...... ;-)

6ff5c2c13f50db872f8eb0c7d3e17e5b.jpg

It surely dwarfs the "Scooter".......no wonder the carrier ground handlers hated it (after the Skywarrior).

TonyS

Edited by dhdove