AMT/ERTL 1/32 Star Wars Trade Federation Tank

plasmahal

In memory of Leonard Nimoy, 1931 to 2015.

My first entry into this Sci-Fi Group Build has been in my stash for many, many years now.

It's the AMT/ERTL 1/32 Star Wars Trade Federation Tank as first seen in Episode One. Although many think the prequel Sta Wars films are rubbish, I think they introduced to some nice new spaceships and vehicles. Some of these then made into kit form.

Here are the box and sprue shots.

DSCF9349.JPG

DSCF9353.JPG

DSCF9358.JPG

DSCF9363.JPG

DSCF9367.JPG

DSCF9368.JPG

DSCF9372.JPG

DSCF9376.JPG

DSCF9378.JPG

DSCF9381.JPG

DSCF9382.JPG

Some nice detail on this kit and a relatively straight forward out of the box build. I intend top try out some new (to me) chipping and weathering techniques on this build to give the tank and worn and battle weary look.

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 4

Searching around yesterday on the interweb

I found a load of Star Wars kits at

modelsforsale.com in their secondhand section.

Not cheap (otherwise they'd be mine by now)

but there if you REALLY need more of them.

• Like 1

**Update** - Main Gun and Turret Part One.

So cracking on yesterday with step one in the instructions. I have assemble the main gun parts, sanded and put some filler on gaps and seams. The main turret has been cleaned up and will assemble once the gun assembly is complete, then I can add the bits and bobs onto the turret.

DSCF9384.JPG

• Like 2

**Update** - Main Hull Assembly.

Next was to start on the main hull. After lots of dry fitting, sanding and removing of alignment pegs that caused more gaps and mis-alignments, i got the two hull halves together.

DSCF9393.JPG

Then some styrene filler applied to seams and left to set ready for plenty of sanding and seam elimination.

DSCF9396.JPG

• Like 2

**Update** - Main Gun and Turret Part Two.

Main gun and turret was assembled.

DSCF9555.JPG

Then plenty of sanding, seam filling and sanding some more.....

DSCF9576.JPG

The side guns were assembled and all gun barrels were drilled out.

DSCF9586.JPG

DSCF9587.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 1

**Update** - Main Hull Assembly Part Two.

The underside panels ans detail on the upper part of the hull were added and gaps dealt with, see photo in previous post.

Then the lower panel of the lower hull had the vents and insert panel fitted and gaps dealt with.

DSCF9571.JPG

Then the upper half of the lower hull was glued in place first to make it easier to handle. then some major gaps had to be dealt with here too.

DSCF9570.JPG

So now a look at how it's coming along.

DSCF9595.JPG

I have some details bits to add and some time to spend on the seam and gaps were the two halves of the lower hull meet.

• Like 4

**Update** - Main Hull Assembly Part Three.

Hi, apologies for the lack of updates. Been pushing on and finished the build part. As you can see from the photos below, there were some big gaps and seams to deal with but all sorted in the end.

There was a very big gap where the back of the lower hull met the upper hull and had to be shimmed out with plasticard. I used dissolved styrene as filler and any ar bubbles with some dissolved squadron green putty.

DSCF9601.JPG

DSCF9602.JPG

DSCF9609.JPG

DSCF9610.JPG

**Update** - Priming.

So, once all the sanding was finished, the whole model was cleaned with warm soapy water and left to dry in the purpose built model drying facility (Airing cupboard).

Then everything was primed with a 50/50 mix of Vallejo grey polyurethane primer and pledge floor wax (new Klear).

DSCF9614.JPG

**Update** - Pre-shading.

For what's its worth, I decided to pre shade a dark brownish colour. For this I regrettably used Vallejo model air burnt umber. For some reason, I cannot get along with model air. I can airbrush tamiya dn a mr hobby aqueous both neat and thinned without any issues but model i always get issues with clogging, spitting and almost insta dry tip. i got it done in the end. now got to sort my base colours.

DSCF9619.JPG

• Like 2

**Update** - Pre-shading.

For this I regrettably used Vallejo model air burnt umber. For some reason, I cannot get along with model air.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only person I the world who has issues using Vallejo Model Air products - despite thinning it down with water. The one and only time I used it successfully was when I sprayed at 25 PSI. A little high but it worked. Once.....

Your build is coming along nicely and I am looking forward to seeing more

MH

• Like 1

Cool I really like the droid vehicle designs, and this is looking great!

As fo vallejo, man I've had my share of problems with them so feel for you dude (dont get me wrong still like and use them) but in my experience the model air paints that are "pre thinned" still need to be thinned a little.

And word to the wise only use their thinner, I find even using water makes them a little twitchy, and tamiya thinner or anything thats heavy on the alcohol will make them gloop up. Same for clean up, I've used window cleaner and IPA and had disatrous results with both, only thing that didn't cause glooping was their own brand.

Just my two pennys worth

• Like 2

I've got to echo what Hunter Rose says above: the only way I've had real success with model air paints was by thinning 50/50 with their own thinners. But doing so means that they now spray perfectly...well apart from their black. And I've never had much success with their primer (which is meant to be sprayed neat) and still prefer to use pound shop car body primer.

• Like 1

**Update** - Base Colours Part One.

As I seem to be a glutton for punishment and they are the paints I have in the right colours for stage one of the base coats, I soldiered on with the vallejo paints. I am using their own thinners but still hard to get right. I mixed up some heavily thinned model colour iraqi sand (70.819) and model air ochre (71.033) and did the lighter sand colour. I then went over with some very thin model colour iraqi sand (70.819) to start to weather the paint. I'm done for the night but will re-visit with some model colour iraqi sand (70.819) and white to do another layer of weathering of the lighter paint. Then it's some masking and then the light brown to do then the dark brown.

DSCF9623.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

**Update** - Base Colours Part Two,

After weathering the first base colour, it was masked off with tamiya tape.

DSCF9681.JPG

Then the second base colour of XF-59 was applied and weathered.

DSCF9688.JPG

Then masking tape removed.

DSCF9692.JPG

Then the last round of masking and the third base colour of XF-52 was applied and weathered. All masing then removed.

DSCF9699.JPG

I have a few areas of overspray, so i'm just going to weather those on with some very thin lighter base colours.

• Like 6

**Update** - Base Colours Part Three,

Onto the final main painting stage. After tidying up any overspray issues, I moved onto the areas detailed in black. for this I used Tamiya XF-84, dark iron.

DSCF9704.JPG

DSCF9711.JPG

Then the relevant areas were dry brushed with Mr metal stainless.

DSCF9715.JPG

I rounded off this session with the whole model being sealed with a coat of pledge.

• Like 4