Desert Anvils (EIGHT 1/72 P-40s: Sword, Hasegawa, Special Hobby, Legato, Airfix)

Looking at the plastic dust on your fingers, I am sure you are breaking several statutory requirements pertaining to work safety, etc... At least a decade in a max sec jail if they catch you!!!

For a (modest) price, I shan't report you! As far as I am concerned, they'll never catch me alive!!!

But this is worth it, looking at what you are achieving.

JR

• Like 1

The sun has returned!

11056894_945265202164959_470742369567901

It hit a scorching 10 C today, and the world went mad. I may or may not have laughed insanely and cavorted and possibly even gamboled about. This is the first time in five months that I have not had to wear a fleece under my winter coat. For once I didn't want to slowly roll over every other pedestrian (and in Chicago, pedestrians are only barely better than cabbies, or, most hated of all, cyclists, who, after Caligula, I wish had but one neck) in a bobcat with some sort of rototiller attachment at the bow.

Unfortunately, Mrs. P, deep in the grip of pregnancy/madness decided she wanted chicken pot pie for dinner, a meal I'm ambivalent about at the best of times, but whatever, I get that I'm not calling the shots on meals right now, but she decided that she wanted to make it from scratch at 6 PM this evening, and as a result, we didn't eat until almost nine, and since it's generally accepted that I must cool my heels aboveground until we eat, much precious time was wasted on something we could have ordered in a restaurant for half the time and price.

Looking at the plastic dust on your fingers, I am sure you are breaking several statutory requirements pertaining to work safety, etc...

Oh heavens no, not in America. I've stripped asbestos floor tiling up with a shovel, and my own father sneered at me for wearing one of those Breaking Bad bunny suits. I'll be amazed if I live to see sixty-five.

Some progress on this Legato intake:

10403540_945434635481349_697573596809856

10455832_945434615481351_621446842100917

11041715_945434588814687_597087618425928

If anyone looks at it too closely, I'll fell them with a single blow to the temple.

Did some filling on the Tomahawk II:

10403540_945434558814690_535863159742615

And put the wings on the Special Hobby short-tail:

11025676_945434512148028_919853676048306

All of the other P-40s, save the Hasegawa kit, require you to laboriously box in the wheel wells. Legato has easch box as a single piece, but those [adjectives] at Sword have it in four ill-fitting pieces per well. I didn't have the heart to even attempt it tonight. God I hate P-40s. I'm glad I'm building all of my kits of them (save one) right now, because I never will ever touch one again after this.

• Like 6

Even the so far blameless Airfix kit has proved a bit of a bee (other words starting with "b" also available) in this area, as we can see:

11062101_944809012210578_605239774058317

11054395_944808985543914_187102447471022

A gap so big, a London Underground employee burst into my grotto and tried to throw up a placard. Honestly!

Good Heavens, man, you call that paper-thin trifle a gap?! I've had gaps so big on some of my builds that small African nations could easily fall into them (Lesotho comes to mind; after all, it does fit comfortably in its entirety into South Africa). I didn't so much fill the gaps as span them, as one might span a large river's gorge with a suspension bridge. Come on PC, man up and on with the build!

Regards,

Jason

PC, may I suggest simply skipping the gear bay boxes on the Sword kit? I laboriously added them to my first build, but the wings don't really fit together with them there. I filed and sanded and eventually just clamped the trailing edge down until the glue cured. On the second build I just added a ring of blu-tack that I'll use as an anchor for whatever 'canvas' cover I can come up with. As a bonus, the wings actually joined.

Congrats on building an AZ P-40 with a presentable front end. I know it wasn't easy!

• Like 2

PC, may I suggest simply skipping the gear bay boxes on the Sword kit? I laboriously added them to my first build, but the wings don't really fit together with them there. I filed and sanded and eventually just clamped the trailing edge down until the glue cured. On the second build I just added a ring of blu-tack that I'll use as an anchor for whatever 'canvas' cover I can come up with. As a bonus, the wings actually joined.

You certainly may suggest that, and somehow, I suspected. Oh Sword, you sneaky petes!

• Like 1

If I may:

Sleep, exercise, and food all play into happiness. It sounds like you don't sleep well, or much. Exercise can be a pain, but even 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something similar can lead to more energy. Food is the tough one. Making sure you get enough raw veggies is paramount, and staying away from processed grains and sugars has helped me fight the worst of my moods. Winter sucks. Winter just sucks.

I keep forgetting to check down here in the GB section, not a sign of disinterest. I am floored that you are taking on so many at once, but I recently described my chain-modelling success to my wife and we agreed it was better to do it this way.

Carry on PC, hope you feel best soon.

MG are you actually called Laura and live in the Midlands??? All of what you just said sounds just like the conversation my wife and I had last night! Its some great advice as they are things we take completely for granted but what you input dictates your output.

Keep it up Mr p there appears to be a mixed bag of kit quality but your doing a great job of making the best of them! Also what an amazing change in weather. I'm glad the lady finished the chicken and by 9 she has done well... Like I said earlier at least the craving is not at 1am.....

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

MG are you actually called Laura...

No, but I have been called pretty once or twice. That is a very nice name. Lately Missus and me have been going over potential baby names, and Laurana was one of my favourites since before I even knew my wife or touched a girl. It comes from a Dragonlance character, the Golden General.

PC that is a nice solar shot of Chicago. The street lamp which is dark in comparison to the sunny beam is a nice contrast and very artistic. Good job on recognising an opportunity like that.

Would you try attaching the upper wings to their respective fuselage halves before gluing the lower on? It worked really well for me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH I could have sworn I posted an update.

11070443_947914618566684_680004802702598

Long story short, I suspect that while my IP is in roughly the right place here, there should be a coaming and there isn't. Or I just put it out too far. Freaking Sword.

10440639_947914638566682_796491719821551

10329277_947920608566085_804587723671894

• Like 2

Well, call me picky, but it does appear to me to be lacking a coaming; I'm not an expert on... well, anything really, so perhaps some P40 variants did not have this... but to me it does look to be missing one. :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

I ran into this conundrum too PC. I looked and looked at ref pics, and like Dazdot says, sometimes there appears to be a coaming, sometimes not. I added one to the AZ kit, but not the Swords, because the Sword gunsight fits directly to the IP, and I didn't want to mess with figuring out how to add a coaming to the mix. Of course, I just realized that a lot of K/III's still had the ring and bead sight. Oh, well.

By "coaming", you mean the sun shade for the back of the instrument panel? On derelicts there may not have been one that lasted very long, but even on the Kittyhawk (P-40E-1) desert derelict, there are remnants of a coated fabric awning/sunshade supported by wire, very much like coat hanger wire. Anyway, would you want to have to build all the little cans, boxes, tubes and wiring on the back side of the instrument panel?

• Like 1

By "coaming", you mean the sun shade for the back of the instrument panel?

Yes, I fear I was using the incorrect term there.

On derelicts there may not have been one that lasted very long, but even on the Kittyhawk (P-40E-1) desert derelict, there are remnants of a coated fabric awning/sunshade supported by wire, very much like coat hanger wire.

Alas!

Anyway, would you want to have to build all the little cans, boxes, tubes and wiring on the back side of the instrument panel?

I think you flatter me with an overestimation of my work ethic here, but shame is a motivator for me, so I'll probably bodge up sunshades for these guys.

Just a snippet of foil should do. Apparently a trapezoid shape for the P-40E and E-1, but an arch later on.

• Like 3

I wondered where you guys had gone and now I've found you. You're all mad. Especially PC x 9!

I have an Airfix Hawk in my stash and I think it's going to stay there... resting as it's my company's year end and there's enough madness in the office.

Watching you guys though - good luck all!

Ced

I turned thirty-two today.

I have always loved birthdays; as a little boy, growing up, we didn't exchange gifts on holidays, so my birthday was always the main event for me. But this weekend has been atrocious, a colossal disappointment. I have to constantly remind myself that I live a life better than that available to 90% of Americans, and thus probably about 97% of the entire planet, to avoid sinking totally into a morass of self-pity. But it can be frustrating anyway, and I'm not a particularly good person, so I indulge a bit anyway. My plans for a nice romantic pre-birthday dinner with my wife were thwarted by her insistence on walking four miles (after I'd just run eight) to an overpriced upmarket grocery store to get food I didn't want so we could have dinner with my brother-in-law, who I had no desire to see whatsoever. Today I had my traditional birthday dinner with my family, which my wife skipped to take a babysitting job (n.b. please that I was very serious about being better off than 90% of Americans, and we do not need the money in any way), and left me alone for the rest of the day so she could walk with her coworker, twice. I get that I'm selfish, I appreciate that. But I'm really tired right now, and tired of my job, and I was looking forward to my last hurrah before we have a baby who takes up all our everything. Like most people who don't deserve them, I thirst for triumphs in a dry land.

I have decided I don't give a fig about the sunshades any more, pace Tom, whose dedication to accuracy I admire. But I don't care. I just don't. These kits are for the most part unpleasant to build and of an aircraft I have only marginal interest in, during a time in my life that is fraught with disappointment. I'm going to finish them, because that's how I'll beat them, but this is one of the few things in my life where I can win on my own terms, and I'm going to. I've had it. Sword will rot in hell for their crappy wing roots at the end of days, I'll bear witness against them before the celestial throne and will feel only a twinge of righteous satisfaction as they're deservedly cast into the fiery pit for all eternity with Brutus, et al. Yes I know in Dante's hell it's actually super cold.

I am so sick of these damned wing roots, not even PPP was enough, so I dug out milliput, which is one of those modelling tools with in my mind a vintage not unlike, say Morris dance enthusiasts. It is the atom bomb of filler, and I was so angry and tired I forgot about my bottle of plastic goop, so I used it.

1962788_949744738383672_3213066036204003

Screw panel lines. I don't care anymore.

1908436_949744778383668_8054990931282536

14629_949744801716999_398906589937181344

I've had it. I'm thirty-two and I've done little to nothing I'd hoped to have done by now. All my triumphs are hollow and petty. I can't even get drunk, because I'm trying to lose weight.

• Like 2

That sounds like a dreadful birthday PC; sorry to hear it. I'm looking for the silver lining there, but aside from the fact that as you note your lifestyle is probably better than that of 97% (and I would suggest that from the figures involved it might well be nearer 99%) of the world's population, there isn't much to glean from your account. Not that having a comfortable-ish lifestyle is enough in itself, which is pretty clearly illustrated here.

It's a credit to you that you still managed to be scathingly funny about the Sword kits, and oddly enough it reading it made me profoundly grateful for the (minor) tribulations I have been having trying to fit the glazing on the Blenheim which made me feel slightly ashamed as I had always maintained that I get no pleasure from the suffering of others...

Last point - probably best you couldn't get drunk; after a weekend like that I very much doubt it would have been a happy drunk; best case scenario indicates drinking until oblivious, which is, in itself, not that satisfying.

Chin up chap, I hope your week is pleasant enough to lighten your mood :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Me too - what they said ^^. Rooting for you so chin up and onwards! You'll feel better when the paint's going on.

Nil illegitimi carborundum!

Sometimes it helps to see someone who's (perhaps) worse off than you... at least in a small way.

Remember the 'issues' I had with the Vallejo paint colours on the Spit?

I was also building a Crikey alongside, and this has the same colour scheme (of course). When I had the Spit problems I set this aside. This weekend I picked it up again. Masked it up. Looked at the colour guide and the notes I'd made on which Vallejo colours to use and gayfully sprayed away. Compared it to the picture on my desktop and guess what? WRONG!

It's deja vu all over again. I'm such a dork. Or am I getting old?

Coincidentally (or was it?) I signed up this weekend as a 'dementia friend'. I may be needing this sooner than I thought.