Double Build Italeri/Tamiya and Academy

John.R

Hello,

With the arrival of the airbrush and compressor yesterday I've decided to take the plunge and build two kits at the same time. the two kits I'm building are the 1/100 Academy F-14 and the reboxed Italeri/Tamiya Jaguar GR-1, here is the usual box shots for the moment.

Box Shot of both kits:
219uirk.jpg

Academy 1/100 F-14 Tomcat:
Stand for the Tomcat:
2do2ub.jpg
Sprue A:
23ht69y.jpg
Sprue B:
6ekw35.jpg

Tamiya/Italeri Jaguar GR-1:
Sprue A:
zioidh.jpg
Sprue B:
orjvb8.jpg

The Tomcat is going to be finished in White, and at the moment I'm unsure about the Jaguar, its either going to be in the Gulf War Colours or the Grey/Green scheme which it can also be built in!

Thanks for Looking.

• Like 2

Little bit of an update on this:

I'll start with the F-14 first.. So far I've built up the front section of the kit, sadly no in progress shots of the pit but its bascially made up of five parts, two seats, two headrests & the base which I have sprayed a satin black for the time being, and sprayed a dash of humbrol 29 as there wasn't much left in the tin, this will be sanded down before the first coat of Medium Sea Grey is added to the top & wings, and also added the Intakes on the bottom half of the aircraft.
n4d0jt.jpg

174s93.jpg

Jaguar wise, I've attached the Fuselage sections together as per the instructions, and also added the intakes which the internal parts have been sprayed in a Light Sea Grey, and will tomorrow hopefully be sprayed in a medium sea grey.
sfdjxk.jpg
2hg6ya0.jpg

I know its not much of an update at this present moment, but with having a bit of a hectic weekend its the most I could do.

Quick question though, with the airbrush I have (even though its a cheap one) would it be best to get a 0.2mm Needle & nozzle to do the finer details, or crack on with the 0.3mm which is in it already?

Edited by John.R
  • Like 2

A couple of nice kit,s John my son picked up the jaguar the other day. I like these Tamiya boxing,s of Italeri kits, I,ve just got the Stuka,what paints

are you using?

• Like 1

A couple of nice kit,s John my son picked up the jaguar the other day. I like these Tamiya boxing,s of Italeri kits, I,ve just got the Stuka,what paints

are you using?

I'm using Tamiya paints at the moment, although the brown "Pebble" spray on the F-14 was from a humbrol can.

So far the paint I've used is a lightened XF-83 as a primer as the one I usually use stinks to high heaven when its been sprayed (from the local pound stores), If I do the Gulf War scheme then it'll be 1 Part Tamiya X-17 Pink with 4/5 parts Tamiya XF-57 Buff.

Just finished a Gulf War Italeri Jaguar myself. The fit of that piece on the bottom is diabolical, I didn't realise this until it was too late

I realised this when I'd just glued the rear fuselage sections together, luckily I could pop one side out and carefully managed to shave the tab off completely so the fit was much better.

Hopefully have more of an update tomorrow as I'm hopefully going to build up the landing gear & front sections

I don't know what was going through my head when I did it, I thought there might be another piece to go over it so it'd be fine. Atleast it's on the bottom so I can pretend it's not there, I've already promised myself a second kit to do in standard Grey/Green camo so I'll get it right second time around I'm sure (also if you can get your hands on a brass Pitot tube then I highly recommend it, the kit one is shockingly clunky)

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of updates, the kits seem to be falling together much quicker than I anticipated, and together with getting back into Football photography again and going out from 7am - 4pm jobhunting hasn't left me with much time to do as much as I'd like on the kits. I've also started to use Humbrol Model Filler instead of Milliput, as you will be able to tell on the Jaguar and also the nose of the Tomcat.

Academy F-14:
At the moment this is still in the "brown" stage (makes it a bugger to photograph though) but have now filled the gaps on the underside and also the front nose section's has been filled & sanded.
1z2ftba.jpg
I've also attached the rear section, which has the inlet's attached and also the inlet blades which can't be seen due to the inlets.
w80sk6.jpg
Decided to see how it looks though when the two sections are together and even in 1/100 scale its not a bad size at all, will either be using the stand or having it sat next to the "Bear":
144bbl0.jpg

Jaguar:
I've attached the nozzles at the rear of the aircraft and with a hairy brush applied some Tamiya X-10 Gunmetal to the sections which it require, as well as prior to this a light coating of Tamiya XF-83.
33cmcup.jpg
I've also attached the nose section as can be seen below, need to do a bit of filling where the join is but that's a quick job for tomorrow:
i3ryu9.jpg
eq9zxe.jpg
Also a quick shot of the wing attached:
54svtw.jpg

Thanks for Looking