North American Harvard IIa - 1/32nd scale

Well it's been a while, I see that I started her in May of last year, but my Harvard of the Rhodesian Air Training Group circa 1943 is finally complete, though not quite in her diorama that I have planned. The final stage was some weathering using Phil Flory's Dark Dirt - judiciously applied it's highlighted all the lovely rivet detail on the KH kit.

DSCN7292_zpsjc7wsod8.jpg
DSCN7297_zpsbl91hexg.jpg
DSCN7296_zpsshdzdn2k.jpg
DSCN7294_zpsyuqa79xj.jpg
DSCN7305_zpsj9mpholu.jpg
Max
  • Like 23

WOW,.......You`ve done a fantastic job on her Max, it is really nice to see your Harvard finished at last,.....it deserves to go on show in a museum and I`m sure that your Dad would love it.

Great Stuff,

Tony

WOW,.......You`ve done a fantastic job on her Max, it is really nice to see your Harvard finished at last,.....it deserves to go on show in a museum and I`m sure that your Dad would love it.

Great Stuff,

Tony

Thanks Tony, your photos certainly helped me on many occasions, especially when making the wingtip navigation lights! Yes I'm sure Dad would be pleased to see one of his training aircraft "brought to life" again - he had a 1/48th Harvard half made when he died so I'm kind of finishing the job for him! :)

Thank you all for your kind comments, I really enjoyed the build though it wasn't without it's trials and tribulations. The model is obviously based on the KittyHawk T-6 kit though with many subtle changes to create a Harvard:

A2Zee canopy used giving the correct framing

Brassin Mustang wheels of the correct size used: the hubs of these had to be modified

Front and rear instrument panels changed, spadegrip joysticks used

Modern navigation/comms cockpit equipment replaced with appropriate period items

Rear wheel fairing made and fitted

Wingtip navigation lights removed, replaced with correct type slightly inboard above and below wingtip

Twin tail lights removed completely for RATG Harvards

New AMS resin prop of the correct size

NOTE: the main undercarriage location/position on the kit definitely is wrong, each needs moving outboard by approximately 3mm

Max

Oh yes, they've gotta show signs of use Brian.....though not too much! Thanks for your comments, appreciate it. I don't doubt I'll do another Harvard at some point, maybe wheels up next time!

Max

Max, we need to see your RATG Hurricane now,.......... I`m looking forward to this one even more now that I`ve seen your fantastic Harvard! I was happy to help with reference stuff and I`m glad that it came in handy,

Cheers

Tony

Ah, interesting....I didn't know Gary Numan had his own personal Harvard! I flew in one last August in Canada and found it to be a very stable platform, then I was lucky enough to see four Harvards display at the Toronto air show - fantastic sight and sound!

Max

imagejpg1_zps4eb756ac.jpg

DSCN5051_zpsjlpmiyfi.jpg
DSCN5035_zpsucyapzyu.jpg

yeah, gary was part of the Havard formation team and then went on to form the radial pair with a chap called Norman Lees. sadly Norman was killed in an aircraft related indecent.

apparently the plane has now been sold but may still be in the "zero" paint scheme !!!

CORRECTION... after a bit of searching i found that Gary's old plane, G-AZSC, is now based at Goodwood and looks like this...

G-AZSC003_zpsf1rg7wyq.jpg

Edited by theanorak73

yeah, gary was part of the Havard formation team and then went on to form the radial pair with a chap called Norman Lees. sadly Norman was killed in an aircraft related indecent.

apparently the plane has now been sold but may still be in the "zero" paint scheme !!!

CORRECTION... after a bit of searching i found that Gary's old plane, G-AZSC, is now based at Goodwood and looks like this...

G-AZSC003_zpsf1rg7wyq.jpg

IIRC,Norman was sadly lost in the two seat Spit crash at Goodwood some years ago.

Yes,that is Gary Newman's old steed,it flew into Cosford on Airshow day a couple of years back

as a visiting aircraft.

As to that thing of beauty that you've come up with Mr Williams,could you get your bods

to pop those covers on,I'd quite like to take it for a flight.

It really does look that good.

I yap on all the time about the historical "snapshot in time"modelling that I like,

you've cracked it there Max.

And if any of you scallywags have never visited Max's website about his "ordinary" Dad

and his "ordinary" crew in their "ordinary" Lancaster,might I suggest that you get

your backsides in gear ASAP.

You'll see what Max's(galgos)modelling is all about and for.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Thank you Mark for your very generous comments; today is a rather poignant day because 70 years ago, in exactly one hour's time as I write this, Max and his crew were shot down and killed, and the moon tonight isn't far off what it was then.....too damned bright and full. The Harvard is my homage to Dad, Max and all their like.
Max

IMG_0214_zps6u9mlph5.jpg

large_zpsmoi6q2ad.jpg
large_zpsvzcpzsf3.jpg
  • Like 1