Aoshima - Back to the Future: Part II DeLorean

neron-fx

Hi all,

So I thought I would throw my hat into the metaphorical ring here too and get involved with the Sci-Fi Group Build. :)

I shall be building the 1/24 scale (...I think) Aoshima Back to the Future Part II DeLorean. This is the super detailed version with photo-etched parts that I shipped in from our from our friends in Japan last year. :yahoo:

This will most likely be a straight OOB build due to my limited free time. However, time permitting I may do some form of diorama or base for it and may cut the doors open to give a better view of the lovely greeblies and widgets inside the cockpit.

Looking forward to starting these builds together with everyone and cant wait to see what others produce. To keep you salivating until my first updates, some unboxing shots can be found below.

Cheers y'all.

Rob

16040980844_74437c0715.jpg

16477138849_b7eae43f13.jpg

Edited by neron-fx
  • Like 5

Afternoon all,

So, I made a start on this yesterday and this morning. It is a lovely kit with good moulding and details. There was a bit of sanding to do to removing some various bit of crap and crud. I think this is going to build up into a rather nice looking model.

Anyway, I sanded down all the pieces on all the various sprues and sanded down the body work to remove some seamlines etc. I then got everything primed up and ready to start construction and painting. Hopefully get a bit more time on this tonight and over the course of next week.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated as always.

Cheers,

Rob

16681914631_8f9d3fd4bc.jpg

16497137299_b29b2745be.jpg

16495880080_a2d52ced79.jpg

Edited by neron-fx

Ok, so a small update for you all.

I tried to be clever last night and started to get creative with my Dremmel. I managed to totally hose the DeLorean chassis! :oops:

I was trying to cut out the gull wing doors in order to mount them open... and it totally hit the fan. :(:poo:

Needless to say, I felt like a "Butthead" :)

Anyway, the upshot of this is that the dream of finishing this kit with the doors open is gone.

I managed to fill the errors, sand it, re-scribed the panel lines and re-primed the chassis. I got away with it! :) It's not perfect but you wouldn't notice anything off unless you looked really closely. So the good news is that I can finish this kit off! :)

Hopefully some more actual progress for you all in the next few days.

Cheers,
Rob

How does that little known saying go again?? Keep calm and carry on or something or another :)

Little tests like that make a model all the more rewarding I say. I'm sure it'll look great and I'll be following with great interest. It's such an iconic machine and one I'd like to have a go at myself some day.

• Like 1

Some more progress for you all today.

I have the main body paint on the fuselage and the trim painted in flat black. There is a little bit more masking to do for the dark grey trim on the front by the headlights.

I also got the base coat on the interior sections too. Lots of masking to do on the interior before the accent colour is then applied.

Apologies for the quality of these photos, I took them in a bit of a rush, It makes the interior medium blue come out more grey. I shall try and take some better ones tomorrow when light is better.

Thoughts and feedback welcome as always.

Cheers,
Rob

16744988655_a0c8f218d9.jpg

16122683494_f1800d5a12.jpg

16719083526_fc59842662.jpg

16557583730_eec1a314f0.jpg

16122672514_6633927953.jpg

Edited by neron-fx
  • Like 2

Apologies for the poor photography (again), but I finished the underside of the DeLorean this evening. :)

I just need to touch up some spots with flat black where I had some unsteady moments whilst painting.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated as always.

Cheers,

Rob

16741085736_d975ca04f1.jpg

16144662684_ef8f8d7c62.jpg

16147045283_efb7042e1c.jpg

• Like 3

Apologies all,

Very slow going on this at the moment. I just exchanged contracts on my house sale and so I am now working from a tiny corner in a rented 1 bedroom flat! :D I have nearly finished unpacking all my tools and stuff and so hopefully will get a bit of time on this at the weekend and into next week. I did manage to get the relevant parts of the front and rear masked off ready for its coat of neutral grey but no pics Im afraid! :)

Watch this space, things will be kicking off again soon!

Cheers,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys,

So I finally managed to get a bit more time on the Delorean over last weekend and the course of this week. Dashboard painted (some hand painting still left to do including wiring etc) and photo etched parts applied. The colour looks a little light, but this gets darkened up somewhat when applied under the body work and clear parts. When all in situ, this colour looks spot on when compared to my reference shots.

This was my first time applying photo-etch parts and I found it quite tricky. Im not particularly happy with the time circuits as they aren't sitting 100% flat against the resin part, but the photo-etch looks sweet and some valuable lessons were learned so it was worth the hassle.

As always, thoughts and feedback appreciated.

16998100002_645df223c3.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 2

Hi Rob its looking good from here, I wouldn't worry too much as modellers we can be over critical of our own work sometimes, photo etch is a learning curve, im still on it.

Keep up the good work.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Woops,

I forgot I had taken these pictures too. I have uploaded them to flickr and included here for your viewing pleasure. Below is the completed cockpit two tone paint and upholstery. I have dry-fitted one side to give you and idea of what it might look like when its fully constructed. Again there are a load of widgets and greebly things left to fit here which will all need hand painting, but its a start.

16800251277_ff472ef3a9.jpg

16387522563_9f7fe4cf32.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the last of the photo-etched and decals applied. Lots more final hand painting to do before final construction.

Nearly there on this hellish build though. It's been a real slog this one, and maintaining motivation has been a big problem with this whole build. I am also not sure cars are really my strongest subject matter. Anyway, shots below. :)

16990312097_fd088c29e1.jpg

17171803556_f0ba317ca4.jpg

17010209080_b996178952.jpg

16577553383_cf42b1249f.jpg

17010214390_21ec13575e.jpg

17197164221_e8a60114ff.jpg

• Like 1